Post Match NRL 2015 - Rnd 2 - Raiders vs Warriors Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute
Lisone is the real deal. He is the most dynamic forward this club has had.

Henry was a defensive brute when he came on and made tackle after tackle.

Lolohea had little opportunity.

Most of the posters have indicated what we need to improve on.
There is always some aspect of the game below par though, even when you win.
Very happy with the attacking defence.

Most of the posters have indicated what we need to improve on.
There is always some aspect of the game below par though, even when you win.

Absolutely. But at this stage of the season, all I want is two points. Doesn't matter so much how we get them. Form can come when we're eyeing up the finals!

Reactions: Ref and Rotang

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Great to see our guys beating the crap out of wighton who quickly seems to have become their star/talisman, kata beats him clean twice for tries, even though one rightly called back, Hoffman steals a ball and a try off him, manu demolishes him coming off his wing…

Be gold if we can target the big guns of other teams in the same way, and not with late shots, spears or crusher tackles either.

Good to get the first win on the board and not have to wait until round 3 or 4 for a change.

A scrappy game but we had enough players who stepped up and that's what you need each week in this competition.

Tomkins: Welcome back, great performance he already adds a lot to our side but it looks like he may get better again this year.
Vatuvei: Gets a lot of stick for any errors he makes so when he plays like last night he should be praised. Strong carries, safe under the high ball, big hits. Save some for next week big fella.
Matulino: Some great carries and looks to be getting back to some of his previous best form.
Hoffman: What a decoy run for the Kata try. I bet Cooper Cronk is going to miss him running those lines.
Mannering: Great captains knock he tackled everything that moved.
Lisone: For a rookie he adds so much to this squad enthusiasm, aggression, great leg drive, foot work at the line.

I would have missed some but those guys were fantastic.

Love our backrow; we seem to have found a forward pack.

A couple of things we need to improve:
  • Vete built on last week but the timing between him and TL was off.
  • Dummy half play, we are getting service but need some running from dummy half especially after some of the big runs from our middle forwards.
  • Johnson/Thompson combination. This has potential we just need them to get some timing on their short balls.
Like last year in Canberra we scored of a scrum play**. Interesting if it was the same play.
** How did I know that? Well I watched it last week to remove it from my MySky; so I remember the try but not the move LOL.

At the start of the year when they saw two away games they would have thought two wins would be tough. We lost at the ground where we have a decent record and won at the ground where our record is terrible. Go figure.

Big question - Has Kata done enough to keep Laumape out of the side? For mine, the position is his to lose. He's barely put a foot wrong so far.
Laumape comes back in NSW Cup for mine. I'd only bring guys straight back into first grade if they are the big name established first graders. Laumape although he's been good hasn't done enough to own a spot. While Kata is going alright he stays in until he loses it or someone takes it off him.

Reactions: Fazz and gREVUS
The biggest change I see is that now its not just Simon Mannering playing like that. For far too long he has been the only one dominating in tackles but we have two players who compliment him perfectly. That hasnt happened since Michael Luck left.

Pleased with the defensive effort of the team, especially keeping the Raiders to nil in the second half...
Yes work rate is shared again but the difference I was on about is across the team these guys are flying into the tackle and you can here over the ground mic the smacking sound of good old fashioned footy park hit and hurt defence.....the Ivan boys are technically brilliant but the raw collision is where we lost out with players like that covering up for every one. The defensive culture has shifted from that to everyone amping going into the hits......I put it down to the confidence the new Campion brings and the Agro Around Thompson

Last edited:
I have no doubt this team is top 6 this year, possibly even top 4.

As mentioned many times Hooker is the concern. not entirely sure Havilli is the answer but he has hardly played, would reserve judgement on him until he plays 4 or 5 in a row.

Backs look very sharp which bodes well for the future considering the talent we have sitting on the sideline at the moment.

I'm convinced we paid unders for Hoffman, that guy is worth $10 million the way he has fronted. (Well maybe not that much).

The real test comes next week, back at home against a weakened side after a gutsy away win....Oh God I know where this is going.

Just because this thread has way too much happiness and rainbow fairy sprinkles, I'll come up with a negative.

Getting a bit tired of seeing our guys ending up on their back in the tackles. Often it's from trying to spin out of the tackle to make extra ground, but it results in molasses-slow play the balls and gives the opposition too much time to set their line, which increases their line speed, and makes the next run less likely to hit a gap.

The players need to look at the bigger picture... stop the constant spinning, hit the ground on your front, get up quick, create more chances for the dummy half, make more metres over the whole set.

Reactions: ko wai ra and OMG

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Just because this thread has way too much happiness and rainbow fairy sprinkles, I'll come up with a negative.

Getting a bit tired of seeing our guys ending up on their back in the tackles. Often it's from trying to spin out of the tackle to make extra ground, but it results in molasses-slow play the balls and gives the opposition too much time to set their line, which increases their line speed, and makes the next run less likely to hit a gap.

The players need to look at the bigger picture... stop the constant spinning, hit the ground on your front, get up quick, create more chances for the dummy half, make more metres over the whole set.

good spot normally i look for quick play of the ball from Manu and Lillyman, but last night Manu just walked through them dragging them another 5 or so meters and lillyman wasnt at his best. To me it seems that if you try for the offload you have a higher chance of ending on your back and so many others are always looking for the offload it weakens the team. I would like to see more steamroller runs up the middle made by quick plays.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Laumape comes back in NSW Cup for mine. I'd only bring guys straight back into first grade if they are the big name established first graders. Laumape although he's been good hasn't done enough to own a spot. While Kata is going alright he stays in until he loses it or someone takes it off him.

I totally agree however i do have a concern with Kata. I think he has white line fever. when given the ball at the start of the game he butchered a certain try by not passing it on straight away, he didnt even look for his winger until he worked out his options were gone. And by then Manu was left with to little to work with. I would like to see him put the team first his ego second in a situation like that. Likewise with the try he scored, it seemed to me that he never evaluated his options he just got the ball and put the foot down. This time it was the right call but when watching it looked like he never considered any other option. In the past has he played on the wing?

I think a few more games together will sort this btw. And still agree that Laumape should have to prove he deserves back in not the other way round.

Inruin

Contributor
I was actually quite happy with Lillyman, particularly his first stint. I thought he was charging with a lot of intensity. Apart from his drop with the line open I thought he was very good.

I thought Wright went ok. Certainly made some good reads in defence.

Townsend, with one shocker out on the full, was solid. He has a very good way of starting those Tomkins backline plays by taking it to the line and then a sharp pass to Tomkins/Shaun Johnson

Shaun Johnson was better. Not sure if he is carrying an injury or not? He doesnt look the same player he was at the end of last year.

The only real area of concern was at hooker as everyone has pointed out. TL should improve, and Friend is a handy enough bench backup. Neither are long term options and should be looking for upgrades at hooker for 2016 season

Reactions: OMG
3. Mannering
2. Tomkins
1. Matulino
HM: Hoffman, Vatuvei, Lisone

A lot of the work Mannering does might go unnoticed, especially when watching it on TV. But whenever there looks like there's going to be a gap in the middle of our defence, or a player has his eyes on the open turf, more often than not it's Mannering getting there and making those crucial tackles. Not only that but he doesn't just stop them, he dominates them. I'm loving having him in the middle.

Tomkins might just be the best linking fullback in the NRL. If they give him space than more often than not we have either outnumbered them or they have to deal with a charging Hurrell/Vatuvei. But if the defence rushes up on him he is able to tap-pass it away to a teammate for an open gap. Since he's been here, have we even seen one of those tap-passes gone to the floor yet? Also, we've finally seen a line-break off a kick-return! Didn't like that there was barely any support, or that Kata wouldn't speak up to let Tomkins know where he was, or the fact Tomkins got ran down by a forward, but this is still progress his first year.

Matulino seems to have regained some of the spark that once made him one of the best props in the business. Hell, if the return off his offloading arsenal is anything to go by and finally having another prop that can provide impact in the form of Lisone, we can raise our expectations of our props from matching our opponents to having the advantage over them! Early days though.

I don't see any benefit with having Friend on the bench to be honest. The major benefit in Friend is that he can play 80 mins which frees up another bench spot, if hes only playing 40 mins max then there is no point.

Would much rather have Havilli with his strong dummy half runs, he could come on with 10 - 15 to go in the first half and play for the next 20.

Havilli is a point of difference and opposing teams will have to change their defensive game plan when he comes on. Opposition defenses cant just peel off and mark up against the 1st or 2nd hit up.

I think the dummy half has to be varied more, use Kata and Lolohea on occasion. TL's defence is great and he stops players in their tracks. That is a major plus. The timing of passes isn't there but should improve as the season goes on. Losing that double pump would help TBH.

Shaun Johnson on defence is improving all the time. His attack will come, form is temporary class is permanent. Hurrell will slot back in when ready, will be interesting with Laumape.

Reactions: OMG