Post Match NRL 2015 - Rnd 16 - Warriors vs Raiders Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute
Can Shaun make a run for the dally m,if we keep winning..I might put a small wager on him at the right price.

Last edited:
Yeah not much to cover. Fucken ecstatic with the win!

I know forwards often miss out on the praise but Shaun Johnson clear MOTM for me. He was in the middle of everything, repeat sets, setting up tries, making & breaking tackles, running the ball. Raiders defence were shitting itself whenever he had the ball. Looked threatening at all times and controlled the game beautifully (aside from a few kicks that went dead).

Tomkins, while not the attacking weapon we all expected him to be, is a very good asset to the team. He gives Shaun Johnson and Chad confidence and lets them weave their magic and his organisation in defence is invaluable. It's no coincidence we've been dropping less balls, conceding less tries, and scoring more points when he's back in the side.

Hopefully a run to the finals and maybe a push for the Top 4. Chehoooo great effort boys

Reactions: Defence and koolkat
That was a great performance. The team strategy I felt I noticed was in the past; we were using our forwards to create space for Johnson to run but it was very evident that they were using Johnson to spread the defenders out so the forwards could run straight through the middle. Johnson playing touch every five minutes created so much space up the middle for our pack and that created the momentum for the tries or near raids.

Tomkins is absolute class but Gubb was my highlight. Has he arrived? Hope we see more of him in the next few rounds.

FPN usually saves his best for us, but Gubb flattened him. With that mop of hair he almost looked like a 2003 mini Villisanti launching into some of those tackles.

Over on The Greenhouse they absolutely hate FPN and Shillington, their version of Martell, plays like shit, on the outer, picks it up for contract talks, signs then switches off again. Commented on Charlie owning them. They also hate how the refs were easy on us and reamed them. Apparently it happens to them every game. Where have I read that before?

Charlie Gubb has to be the best one-on-one tackler in this team? Chops players down like a tree.

Love how FPN was being his typical grubby self, Charlie comes on and absolutely destroys him in one of his first tackles. Didn't see much of Frank after that.

Even Gubbs runs have more venom. He may have a slight frame for his position, but boy is he fearless! Always has been, but finally he is making an impact and I'm loving it.

Drop Havili, bench should be Gubb/Vete/RFM/Lisone. If Friend needs a spell - RFM to Center, Hurrell Wing, Lolohea hooker.

Charlie Gubb has to be the best one-on-one tackler in this team? Chops players down like a tree.

Love how FPN was being his typical grubby self, Charlie comes on and absolutely destroys him in one of his first tackles. Didn't see much of Frank after that.

Even Gubbs runs have more venom. He may have a slight frame for his position, but boy is he fearless! Always has been, but finally he is making an impact and I'm loving it.

Drop Havili, bench should be Gubb/Vete/RFM/Lisone. If Friend needs a spell - RFM to Center, Hurrell Wing, Lolohea hooker.
Definitely, Gubb looked good.

I like the idea of giving Mannering or Hoffman a rest. RFM is impressive on attack but I do worry about his defence. The Storm should be a good test.

I thought the Warriors managed Friend better in the 2nd half, Towsend moved into hooker a few times for a few sets and Friend looked fresh throughout the 2nd half.

Reactions: Afakasi247
Can Shaun make a run for the dally m,if we keep winning..I might put a small wager on him at the right price.
You would be wasting your money, the judges are incredibly subjective (read that as biased, blinkered, retarded, take your pick) when they vote. Shaun Johnson had 5 votes going into this round, he's behind the likes of Jordan Kahu, Nuuasala, Mbye and a lot of props - somehow Aaron Woods is 2nd overall! It's all about proving that the Golden Boot win last year was a travesty. Not that different from the media taking every chance to suggest Townsend has overshadowed him all year.

Have to agree that's a nice looking bench!
Gotta say i was stoked when we signed Gubb, glad to see hes making progress, along with Vete and RFM the future is looking bright

Reactions: Rick O'Shay

ToiletDuck

Administrator
Good win. I was worried after 20 minutes that we were trying too hard to turn it into a game of touch football, but they re-grouped and started playing smart football.

Tomkins - Was okay. Still looks injured, no real pace off the mark and always looking to give it to a winger on kick returns. Is it just me or is he standing too deep on our backline plays? He's receiving the ball with 10+ meters in front of him before the defensive line so by the time he gets there the defence has had time to slide across. Worked on one play simply because Konrad bulldozed Croker, not because any overlap was created.

Lolohea - Looked really good and was constantly involved. He was sharp off the mark and took his opportunities well. Certainly Shaun Johnson seemed to be looking for him with the occasional cut out ball too. He should be in the 17 every week.

Hurrell - Still not happy with how he is progressing. Far too much rubbish mixed in with some good things. A couple of lazy errors from poor handling and again rushing up out of the line on defence. Look at his positional play for the Raiders try, he is in no man's land.

Kata - Would have him in the side over Hurrell at present. Sharp footwork and more focus on his handling, as opposed to thrashing around in tackles and looking for offloads. Next step is to work on his catch and pass to get Manu into the game more and keep improving his defence.

Manu - Good carries out of our own end and no awful errors. Took his chance well with the intercept try.

Townsend - Pretty average. He was involved and looked likely a couple of times, but not really upset he's leaving.

Shaun Johnson - Nice individual try to open the game up. Short kicking game was good. Needs to build on these performances and aim to hit that level every week.

Lillyman - Solid effort in his 200th. Ran 130m to back up his 200m last week.

Friend - Thank god we signed him on a year extension, playing as well as he ever has in Warriors colours. One brain snap with that pass back on the 5th that took us back 30m but overall good game.

Matulino - Awesome yet again. 200m and constantly bending the line. Always looking for an offload.

Thompson - 107m, a line break and try, 38 tackles and no errors or penalties, another good game from him.

Hoffman - His usual self. Always looking for a carry and leading by example.

Simon - Excellent game. He and Matulino have gone to another level this season. Looking for offloads now which is great to see.

Havili - Didn't get a huge amount of game time. He's disappeared from nrlstats final page update haha.

RFM - Why did he only get 9 mins? Looked good when he came on, even though it was against a tiring defensive line, 3 runs for 53m.

Gubb - Tries his ass off. Looking more reliable as a first grader, no frills but is doing what he's been asked. Great tackle on Wank Paul.

Vete - Didn't do much wrong in his brief stint, possibly give him a spell in NSW Cup and bring Lisone back in next weekend.

Overall, pretty happy with the result but again against a side that we should always beat at home. Still not convinced re our defence, despite holding the Raiders to only 8 points. Certainly there are less brain snaps than earlier in the season and the side seems to be realising that the game is won in the back end, not in the first 50.

Shaun Johnson seems to be pulling finger in the last few weeks. Running the ball more, taking the lead role, even defensively he is making a lot more tackles than previously.

Johnson gets on the highlight reel but he must be thanking the boys in the forwards for turning up each week and dominating. He's now making plays for us that he's been doing for the Kiwis, all because he has a great platform ahead of him.

Reactions: Miket12
Tomkins - Was okay. Still looks injured, no real pace off the mark and always looking to give it to a winger on kick returns. Is it just me or is he standing too deep on our backline plays? He's receiving the ball with 10+ meters in front of him before the defensive line so by the time he gets there the defence has had time to slide across. Worked on one play simply because Konrad bulldozed Croker, not because any overlap was created.
I wonder if thats just a smart move because defences are up in the face of 3rd and 4th receivers so fast. The Warriors seem a lot more dangerous with space and they definitely look more potent with him at the back

On one of those passes it looked like he was 15 metres behind Shaun Johnson passing to him, SJs body swvel for the pass was nearly a 180 but they seem to be able to adjust to the defence, step around or cut back in and go to the other side of the field. I like it.

Reactions: fizurg and Miket12

ToiletDuck

Administrator
I wonder if thats just a smart move because defences are up in the face of 3rd and 4th receivers so fast. The Warriors seem a lot more dangerous with space and they definitely look more potent with him at the back

Yeah no doubt we're better hitting the ball at pace and with a bit of room to move but him being that far back means even if the opposition rush up they actually have time to adjust. The Shaun Johnson and Tomkins combo looks to be at it's best when Tomkins receives the ball just before the line and uses his handling to get the ball to the centre and winger just as he's about to cop a tackle. Last night Shaun Johnson was basically catching and passing without using any meters and Tomkins had acres in front of him which he doesn't really need? He just ran the ball to the line then shuffled it on to Konrad but I never saw the defensive line looking too worried with that play.