Post Match NRL 2015 - Rnd 14 - Warriors vs Roosters Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute
One thing I will give Wright is when he came on he was the first fullback I have seen since Ivan Cleary to yell and point on every defensive play to his men up front.
This is pretty said to hear and pretty much sums up our club. It's one of the key things for a fullback to do organise the defence and help with the defensive line numbering up correctly. We have been pretty unorganised in defence over the years as a fullback you want the defensive line working well as it means less chance of you having to stop the opposition when they make a break. At fullback depending on how far back you are at the time the opposition has more room to work with by the time they get to you.

I can be a pretty quiet dude but get me on the footy field it used to be hard to shut me up with shuffle left, shuffle right if I was playing on the wing or yelling at everyone from fullback. I used to yell myself stupid at fullback as unless you were like Matthew Ridge and close to the defensive line and could shut down the break as soon as they break the line it could be pretty embarrassing either missing the tackle or being to slow to get to the opposition player. With how weak Tomkins is on defensive you would hope he was constantly yelling at everyone.

Nah, that's way too simplistic. If everything is heart, there's no difference, for example, between a fresh player dropping a ball and a guy who has been busting his gut for 60 (since the former isn't fatigued, it's easier to presume a lack of effort). Some things are definitely about heart (diving on a loose ball among running/kicking knees and feet, a small man throwing his body in front of a big man to stop a try, playing on with a non-crippling injury, etc.), but heart doesn't cover everything. Fitness for example. Don't matter how much heart you have, if you haven't done the pre-season yards or kept in shape, you're going to get found out no matter how hard you might try to push through. Experience is another. A rookie and a 100 game player will often react differently to a certain situation, not because one has more heart than the other, but because the experienced player has been there before. Intelligence also plays a role, as a smarter player will generally learn faster than a dumb player. Regardless, I reckon instinct is about mental conditioning and muscle memory derived from training and experience, not from 'wanting it more than the other guy' (a basic definition of heart).

On Manu, it's not a lack of desire or courage that mars his game (sometimes quite the opposite), it's a lack of mental application. He should know that players are going to pile on him when he charges back. He should know that as he fatigues (the deeper into each half the game is), the higher the chance he'll spill the pill. With his experience he should understand that sometimes it might be wiser to sacrifice a little speed in the play the ball to ensure he reduces the chance of an error. Sadly, despite all the awesome stuff he does, he seems to be incapable of working this out. I don't know how this could be a question of heart though, unless you're suggesting he intentionally makes these sorts of errors or is indifferent to the effect they have on the team. Going from his reactions (the grimaces, the punching the ground, putting his hand up, the following charge with x2 the aggression, etc.) I don't see how anyone could make this argument.
I wasn't saying manu is always heartless... I was just saying that they could have shown more heart coming down the stretch...

It was almost like they claimed victory 20 mins before the end...

Reactions: Richie
You havent named the gym or even yourself. Tell em to calm down.

BUT. If they did say those things you remind them how a man is only as good as his word :)...
Spot on bro, that is exactly what I told them in this 2 hour (WTF?) meeting, apparently one of the boys, who I hard a rather venomous hard spar with today, was lurking on here to see what I was saying & then some how got it in his head that I had named names & that Ruben Wiki was now challenging our sensei to a fight & told them that o_O

Apparently the man that owns our gym became very worried about negative publicity & even a law suit, so I had to explain it was only a TRAINING CHALLENGE not a fight, my sensei / coach was also upset that I quoted him on a public internet forum, even though I told him I probably would & also misunderstood the nature of the challenge, in his defence he is a Brazillian, who is still learning english & hasn't lived here in NZ for all that long

I also told them if I hadn't been put in the shark tank today (hard sparring with multiple partner's one after another) then I wouldn't have been so jacked up on adrenaline when I got home & probably would have executed better judgement

Once I showed them that I had not named names or challenged anyone to any kind of a fight they calmed down a bit, but I am still in the dog box somewhat lol

Anyway my sensei has said sorry for his disparaging remarks & admits that he misread the situation & how serious I was, he also said he has the utmost respect for "Mr Wiki" lol & would love it if he or any of the Warriors boys came down & trained with us, but he has withdrawn from any kind of challenge or anything like that

To be fair, I actually issued the initial training challenge in my first post after the loss last night, as I know how hard we train & after watching the boys rather limp second half effort against the Chooks, I was frustrated & used this thread to vent that, (as a lot of us do) but if I took it a wee bit far then I apologize, what can i say, I'm an emotional guy & rightly or wrongly I speak my mind & wear my heart on my sleeve

Oh & just to demonstrate how a cheeky & stubborn I also am ... I wore my Warriors jersey to the meeting :p:D

P.S. If you happen to be reading this post Jimbo (one of my training partners) make sure you get my shit right & don't embellish what I'm actually saying or next time me & you will throwdown for real in a legit five rounder son ;)

I wasn't saying manu is always heartless... I was just saying that they could have shown more heart coming down the stretch...

It was almost like they claimed victory 20 mins before the end...

Yeah, I hear you and agree 100% about that. Like they were so afraid of losing that they weren't willing to go for the win. When Shaun Johnson began kicking for the corner with 20 to go, I knew we were screwed. The Warriors must have thought they were the Sharks or something. The masters of the negative grind win we are definitely not.

Or perhaps Cappy and the boys actually believed all the hype about those 3 'tough and gritty' wins we had, lol. Someone should explain the difference between intentionally adopting and winning with a tough defense orientated game and scraping through by the skin of your teeth due to luck, the lack of quality opposition or the clock running down. The more I think on how we tried to close that game out, the more I think this delusion of defensive-grandeur might explain things. Perhaps our staff and players thought the loss vs the Bunnies was really just an abberation and not a tap on the head from Mr reality. If so, then maybe Cappy really is as dumb as I'm starting to fear he might be.

Spot on bro, that is exactly what I told them in this 2 hour (WTF?) meeting, apparently one of the boys, who I hard a rather venomous hard spar with today, was lurking on here to see what I was saying & then some how got it in his head that I had named names & that Ruben Wiki was now challenging our sensei to a fight & told them that o_O

Apparently the man that owns our gym became very worried about negative publicity & even a law suit, so I had to explain it was only a TRAINING CHALLENGE not a fight, my sensei / coach was also upset that I quoted him on a public internet forum, even though I told him I probably would & also misunderstood the nature of the challenge, in his defence he is a Brazillian, who is still learning english & hasn't lived here in NZ for all that long

I also told them if I hadn't been put in the shark tank today (hard sparring with multiple partner's one after another) then I wouldn't have been so jacked up on adrenaline when I got home & probably would have executed better judgement

Once I showed them that I had not named names or challenged anyone to any kind of a fight they calmed down a bit, but I am still in the dog box somewhat lol

Anyway my sensei has said sorry for his disparaging remarks & admits that he misread the situation & how serious I was, he also said he has the utmost respect for "Mr Wiki" lol & would love it if he or any of the Warriors boys came down & trained with us, but he has withdrawn from any kind of challenge or anything like that

To be fair, I actually issued the initial training challenge in my first post after the loss last night, as I know how hard we train & after watching the boys rather limp second half effort against the Chooks, I was frustrated & used this thread to vent that, (as a lot of us do) but if I took it a wee bit far then I apologize, what can i say, I'm an emotional guy & rightly or wrongly I speak my mind & wear my heart on my sleeve

Oh & just to demonstrate how a cheeky & stubborn I also am ... I wore my Warriors jersey to the meeting :p:D

P.S. If you happen to be reading this post Jimbo (one of my training partners) make sure you get my shit right & don't embellish what I'm actually saying or next time me & you will throwdown for real in a legit five rounder son ;)

Dam you have had a rough 24 hours mate......LOL

2016 Coach of the year McFadden
you heard it here first!

I'm quite prepared to believe there's a coach called McFadden and that in 2016 he will be judged Coach Of The Year. I'm just not convinced this coach McFadden has a first name of Andrew and coaches the New Zealand Warriors in the NRL.

Don't get me wrong... he has not lived up to his early promise.

I am pretty perplexed by some of what he does.

But,

The team have been shit for forever... it ain't his fault

What if there was a call from the Warriors to Wayne Bennett/Craig Bellamy/Des Hasler and they said to their secretary "Tell them I'm not in!"? Or answered the call and said "Hmmmm. Coach the Warriors. Have a no anaeshetic done with rusty instruments root canal. Eieny-meany-miney....Root canal it is. Sorry, mate, bye!"

Gut wrenching loss.. feel for the boys they played their hearts out in that game.. a real shame for them to lose that in the end.

Absolutely gutted because the heart and effort was there epitomized by Friend who was amazing.. Just moments and momentum swings got us again!!

Kata's loose carry and knock on just before half time and Lolohea not grounding the ball which allowed them to score was a game changing moment

Once Wright knocked on in goal after Roger Tuivasa-Sheck's sloppy drop goal attempt that was THEE game defining moment.. if he had caught it, it would have been a 7 tackle set, we would have worked our way up field for a chance at a droppy but we goosed it and Ferguson who'd done fuck all during the whole game seals it with a try in the corner (absolute kick in the balls moment)

For all the smack talk about the chooks pumping us it never quite eventuated that way and they were lucky to sneak the points but that's what top teams do.. they always find a way to win. Another lesson learnt for our young bucks.

Proud of the boys but pride doesn't bring you 2 points, wins and winning is all that matters, losing sux shit.

Gut wrenching loss.. feel for the boys they played their hearts out in that game.. a real shame for them to lose that in the end.

Absolutely gutted because the heart and effort was there epitomized by Friend who was amazing.. Just moments and momentum swings got us again!!

Kata's loose carry and knock on just before half time and Lolohea not grounding the ball which allowed them to score was a game changing moment

Once Wright knocked on in goal after Roger Tuivasa-Sheck's sloppy drop goal attempt that was THEE game defining moment.. if he had caught it, it would have been a 7 tackle set, we would have worked our way up field for a chance at a droppy but we goosed it and Ferguson who'd done fuck all during the whole game seals it with a try in the corner (absolute kick in the balls moment)

For all the smack talk about the chooks pumping us it never quite eventuated that way and they were lucky to sneak the points but that's what top teams do.. they always find a way to win. Another lesson learnt for our young bucks.

Proud of the boys but pride doesn't bring you 2 points, wins and winning is all that matters, losing sux shit.
I started watching from 50 minutes onward and the Warriors were gone at that stage, the Roosters dominated them the whole time I was watching even without Wrights error. The Roosters were making breaks and getting 15 to 20 metres a carry with ease. The Warriors were falling off tackles, the camera kept going to Hurrell who looked exhausted.

I started watching from 50 minutes onward and the Warriors were gone at that stage, the Roosters dominated them the whole time I was watching even without Wrights error. The Roosters were making breaks and getting 15 to 20 metres a carry with ease. The Warriors were falling off tackles, the camera kept going to Hurrell who looked exhausted.

Losing Friend towards the end was critical in terms of defence.. he actually played one of his better games in a Warriors jersey and the reshuffling was damaging

We were falling off tackles.. Maloney's easy try was testament to that but they were falling off tackles too.. Konrad's assist to Kata for his try was brilliant.. they had momentum which we struggled to contain but we were still in it to the end

If Wright had taken that ball I believe with a 7 tackle set we would have went all the way down their end and got the droppy or at least pressured them into a repeat set.. all hindsight but that knock on cost us the game imo.

The boys did well to get back to 21 all after having no possession or territory and looked likely to score if it wasn't for THAT knock on.

We wouldn't even be questioning Wright's knock on or anything if the team won.. we would have been praising the team and glossing over the issues that cost us and that's constant errors.

Reactions: 2 people
Both Manu and Kata made big powerful runs only to drop the ball in the tackle... Gutting moments...

Wright playing out of position at fullback makes a bad decision, Cappy playing out of position at head coach fails to inspire the team at half time once again...

Konrad plays like a prop and fails to conserve his energy for the whole 80 mins once again.

Doyle puts his heart into the club, so that's going to filter down eventually,,,,,, I hope....

Both Manu and Kata made big powerful runs only to drop the ball in the tackle... Gutting moments...
This is what frustrates me about these 2 players. They make great yards up the field, just to have the ball slip out of their grasps. Watching live, you can see how loose Kata's carry is....boy just tuck the ball under your arm, stop pretending your gonna pass the ball when we know your not going to.

I'm confident Kata can work this out of his game. With Manu's case, its been happening for too long now. 10 year vet, scoring 10+ tries a season. I love that shit, but I love error free footy more.

Manu needs to be in our team, that goes without saying. But I can't help but think he might need to be taught a lesson about his poor error rate this season. A week in NSW cup might help him appreciate ball security...

The only reason why I'd approve this is because I love Maumalo's game. He deserves to be in this team right now. He's a beast in the making - give him the 5 jersey to show Manu that his jersey is as safe as his hands....

Reactions: Beastmode and jonno
This is what frustrates me about these 2 players. They make great yards up the field, just to have the ball slip out of their grasps. Watching live, you can see how loose Kata's carry is....boy just tuck the ball under your arm, stop pretending your gonna pass the ball when we know your not going to.

I'm confident Kata can work this out of his game. With Manu's case, its been happening for too long now. 10 year vet, scoring 10+ tries a season. I love that shit, but I love error free footy more.

Manu needs to be in our team, that goes without saying. But I can't help but think he might need to be taught a lesson about his poor error rate this season. A week in NSW cup might help him appreciate ball security...

The only reason why I'd approve this is because I love Maumalo's game. He deserves to be in this team right now. He's a beast in the making - give him the 5 jersey to show Manu that his jersey is as safe as his hands....
I'd like Manu to be demoted from God status as well...

• Haha
Reactions: Beastmode
I noticed on the weekend that when you go into the stadium they have taken away the turnstyles

and by the looks, theyve put them into the first grade squad

11429716_10153986562209115_824628022595734364_n.jpg

True, we looked spent in that last 20-30, despite having had the vast majority of possession (and completing around the 80% mark) and being the first to score after the break, which should have given the boys a lift. Maybe this inexplicable fatigue (is there an issue with our cardio training?) was why Shaun Johnson kept kicking to the corner (instead of coming up with attacking plays, i.e. using his killer step or putting up the bomb on a windy ass day), because he knew the chasers (in the case of a kick) or support (in case he ran) just wouldn't be there. I don't know about this though, as it takes less energy to attack than defend, and yet we still seemed intent on giving it back to the rooters despite our well known defensive frailties and tendency to cough up a lead near the end of games.

Even after the Elliot try, I would have loved the boys to go for the throat offensively rather than look for a defensive grind win that no one (except for Cappy and the players, obviously) would have given us a shit show of pulling off. With things looking shaky in defense, but us still up by 8, I would have thought the 'as long as they don't score 2 more tries than us from this point forward' approach might have been the smarter way to go, as much as I generally don't like the full throttle attack at all costs game. Of course the rooters kicked that penalty cool as you please after seeing us shut up shop offensively, knowing they had the 2 tries or try/field goal in them. Robinson said as much after the game, they had absolute belief in their ability to run us down. And because we stopped running, we made it even easier for them.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :drowning:

Hi guys this is my first post ever enjoy reading all the gossip
And rumour mill I just think they ran out of steam coming back from the big road trip
Bunnies weren't to flash either. Also thought the game was pretty good standard for the conditions
Welcome to the Warriors forum Ruebin.

Make sure you post in the introduction thread if you haven't already. Good to hear about peoples background either playing league or supporting the club.

Reactions: Richie