Post Match NRL 2015 - Rnd 13 - Rabbitohs vs Warriors Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Mr Frank White

Contributor
One thing I noticed was that the one out running wasn't effective against the bunnies. Yet when we spread the ball we found room.

Yet we went away from that, and reverted to one out again. I think we should have spread the ball on the third tackle onwards.

I don't think it's as simple regarding whether it's our attack or defense that needs fixing. We're up and down across offense and defense areas. We're lagging a bit behind in kick metres, offloads and (surprise, surprise) are the worst team error wise, but we're also equal 4th for tries scored, equal first on line breaks, and doing okay in meters gained, runs and a few other offensive areas. Surprisingly, there are actually 9 teams that have missed more tackles than us, though I'd say (and it's a guess) that we rank worse when it comes to missed tackles in our red zone.

The priority must be fixing our error count (don't think anyone would dispute this). We all know errors are a focus/skills issue, but how does Cappy fix it? If it's more a focus problem, will improved fitness help? We still seem to be sluggish around the ruck at the back end of halves or against teams with fast play the balls and good dummy half runners. Does Cappy need to make some examples of people? If Bhana's fitter and more focused, do we bite the bullet, call it a day on Havili and go there. I love Manu, but maybe dropping the Beast for a game or two would send the message out loud and clear (not on fitness, but on focus). Of course, it'd also hurt our attack. But we might need to make short-term sacrifices in other areas to address this problem. Cappy's shown with Hurrell's demotion that he's willing to drop the hammer, but Hurrell was kind of an easy target. Could he make a super hard call if the team keeps suffering from the dropsies?

If it's skills based, do we need to make more permanent changes in some areas? Or do we just hope that experience will iron out some of these kinks (not that our rookies are the only ones making errors). There's no doubt we'll be a better team for having Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Luke on board next year, but hoping that they alone are enough to fix our problems is a high risk plan. If Cappy just rearranges deck chairs till 2016 and things don't click fairly quickly, he'll be left holding the bag big-time.

https://www.nrl.com/TelstraPremiership/Statistics/ClubStatistics/tabid/10254/Default.aspx

Reactions: snake77 and eamon
You do remember we barely beat a reserve grade quality Knights side last week...

Yeah but I think the boys were in a bad mentality, I'm guessing they were in that "a win's a win" mindset. After a thrashing by the Rabbitohs, hopefully they come back down to earth and come out firing next week against an undermanned Roosters squad. My only worry is if we thrash them, the boys are gonna be complacent (like last year) and screw up the next game. They're so mentally fragile

Did Johnson play? Did Townsend play? I thought they were prancing around acting like Sutton & Keary's little bitches.

They were trying a bit too hard if anything, its a shame ya cant select a wide camera angle as a viewing option, they were pushing us around nicely for the most part of the game, the main problem is we cant hold the fucken pill.
Chad's errors were poor but SJs were just unfortunate, the kick was tuff and Manners should take his offload to the Vet and get it put down the mongrael of a thing.

We need a mid season transfer of a Hooker desperately, woeful is an inadequate term for what I watched live from our Hookers.
I felt disgusted in one because of how unfit and slow he looked off the ball( Ive never seen anything like it in a live NRL game) and I was disappointed for the other.
Nathan its time to hang em up son.

They were trying a bit too hard if anything, its a shame ya cant select a wide camera angle as a viewing option, they were pushing us around nicely for the most part of the game, the main problem is we cant hold the fucken pill.
Chad's errors were poor but SJs were just unfortunate, the kick was tuff and Manners should take his offload to the Vet and get it put down the mongrael of a thing.

We need a mid season transfer of a Hooker desperately, woeful is an inadequate term for what I watched live from our Hookers.
I felt disgusted in one because of how unfit and slow he looked off the ball( Ive never seen anything like it in a live NRL game) and I was disappointed for the other.
Our club tolerates shit that no other pro footy club would stand for... Its the whole keep the faith mantra...

Just have faith in havili and all will come right.

Well it won't come right for havili unless havili decides its going to come right for havili, and he then proceeds to kick his own ass into shape...

If he can't even be bothered getting fit then what's the point of giving him his shot at the big time?

We need to start advertising for some mid season transfer action asap...

Our club tolerates shit that no other pro footy club would stand for... Its the whole keep the faith mantra...

Just have faith in havili and all will come right.

Well it won't come right for havili unless havili decides its going to come right for havili, and he then proceeds to kick his own ass into shape...

If he can't even be bothered getting fit then what's the point of giving him his shot at the big time?

We need to start advertising for some mid season transfer action asap...
would like to look to invest in another hooker. Luke, Leuleuai and someone else for next years hooker rotation/roster, havili, friend realeased

Reactions: jonno
Is it worth trailing CT at hooker and moving Lolohea or ST to five eighth and the other playing fullback?

CT can fill perfectly and he's not going to be playing for us in that position next year, why not move our best option (ST) to that position or make the move of Tui to that position 12-18 months ahead of schedule?

Reactions: matiunz

Inruin

Contributor

What error did Chad make?

Is it worth trailing CT at hooker and moving Lolohea or ST to five eighth and the other playing fullback?

CT can fill perfectly and he's not going to be playing for us in that position next year, why not move our best option (ST) to that position or make the move of Tui to that position 12-18 months ahead of schedule?

I'd bench him in a heartbeat at this stage. Lolohea to the halves with Hurrell and Maumalo on the right flank. We might leak like sieve on defense but at least it will be entertaining.

• Haha
Reactions: davewjnz and jonno

I've backed Havili but watching him huffing and puffing like a chain smoker after 12 minutes you've lost my vote mate, sorry bout it.

I'm with you with Friend this is surely his last season, just too old simple as that.. Friend is now taking the brunt of Leuluai being out for the season.. not many options at 9, maybe give Pewhairangi a go there but even that's grasping at straws

Reactions: OMG
What error did Chad make?

I know it ain't official but was it 3 or 4 atrocious passes that resulted in errors, you could say one was catchable, Hoffman might beg to differ though.

The whole team had a couple of incidences each of exceptionally extraordinary averageness on attack, mixed with the odd bit of slickness that rared it's ugly head only to usually to have it cut off in the last moments of the move and resulting in a turnover, it was weird that Shaun Johnson and Tui's timing was pretty decent for the 1st time.

Inruin

Contributor
I know it ain't official but was it 3 or 4 atrocious passes that resulted in errors, you could say one was catchable, Hoffman might beg to differ though.

The whole team had a couple of incidences each of exceptionally extraordinary averageness on attack, mixed with the odd bit of slickness that rared it's ugly head only to usually to have it cut off in the last moments of the move and resulting in a turnover, it was weird that Shaun Johnson and Tui's timing was pretty decent for the 1st time.
I think that was more to do with Hoffman than the passes. But regardless, an error is an error and they have hurt us all season.

Reactions: OMG
It looks like they need a good sport psychologist to give ghem a talk on mental toughness, visualizing, goalsetting and a bit of belief. Good athletes freezing up when the going gets tough is what Im seeing. Bit of mental coaching might do wonders.

Reactions: Richie
Looks like a lot of people here would envy me. I never saw the game, only TV1 highlights. However, being uninformed doesn't stop anyone else so here are my thoughts.

You learn more from failure than success. This week will show a lot of what this team is made of. Variable performance is a feature of teams with lots of rookies. One bad game doesn't make them bad players.

Pre match disruptions would have been a contributing factor, but not an excuse. Any one who has played competitive sport knows that sometimes you play like shit. It is not deliberate. Just part of sport.

This competition shows you have to bring you A game every week. As has been shown anyone can beat anyone and if you aren't prepared you will get tapped.

I can see no reason why they can't win against the Roosters this week if they turn up to play, in fact I am quite confident. There is ample precedent for teams thrashed winning the next week.