Post Match NRL 2015 - Rnd 13 - Rabbitohs vs Warriors Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Far Away Fan

Yeah too predictable. Same block plays that get guided to the sidelines every time. ..... The structures are killing any creative football, and the thing is Shaun Johnson can be creative, when he wants.

And this is our biggest problem right now, IMO.

I like what Cappy has done, we all do, but he just seems to get in the way of our attack actually attacking. Just as when he dropped the Chad for Loolooeye last year, our attack is being stymied once more.

I like what Cappy has done, we all do, but he just seems to get in the way of our attack actually attacking. Just as when he dropped the Chad for Loolooeye last year, our attack is being stymied once more.
Yep totally agree.

And i dont think its about increasing the volume of the playbook and the number of plays. It more about actually reading the defence and what is presented to you. I think its very sequential footy atm. From the 1st tackle they are already going through the motions, Manu tackles 2nd tackle, 1 block play, manners with a settle, another block play and then johnson bomb, and this song is on repeat the whole day basically. It seems every one has learnt a sequence for one set and so they know exactly what theyre doing but no ones reading half opportunity, no ones cancelling calls and saying "im gonna go solo here, i see something".
thats what the great players do is see opportunities and have the balls to break character or should we sayy throw the script away and improvise.

Have you noticed a lack in support play in general? Ive been forced to watch the hurricanes lately cause my mate loves them but im amazed how often tj perenara is there at a line break ready for an offload or whatever may or may not happen hes there. Im wondering if theres a concern with not enough support play. If matulino goes into contact ill be running through the line every time for the chance of an offload.

We played like shit. Refs were horrendous but we still would've lost anyway. Our only standout was Maumalo who was great with every hitup. I still don't understand how Manu can drop the simplest balls. Shaun Johnson really disappointed me tonight, he was building nicely into form and tonight plays the worst game of his career. Absolute shocker.

If we don't win 13+ next week against a Roosters side without Pearce/Jennings/Tupou/Guerra/Cordner then our top 8 hopes this year are down the drain

Reactions: 2 people
If we don't win 13+ next week against a Roosters side without Pearce/Jennings/Tupou/Guerra/Cordner then our top 8 hopes this year are down the drain

I hate to be the one to say it, but the plug's been missing since Friday. And some useless pricks have left dirty rings around the inside of the tub.

Inruin

Contributor

Its not our attack that is the problem. Its our defence and the errors we are making. When we can actually hold on to the ball we can score. We have shown that this season.

Fix the error rate and our defence immediately improves and so does our attack.

Another really worrying concern is their fightback ability. Instead of chipping away at a 3 try deficit by completing set after set no errors. They basically threw in the towel. They wanted a quit fix, the errors piled on and the defence gave in fully. Thats not a good sign for me. The god teams get back in the game by building pressure even when they could be behind by 2 or 3 tries.

Reactions: matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Its not our attack that is the problem. Its our defence and the errors we are making. When we can actually hold on to the ball we can score. We have shown that this season.

Fix the error rate and our defence immediately improves and so does our attack.

^This
For some reason we are still committing errors like its the first couple of rounds.
It didn't worry me at first as I thought it would come right-except it's not...

Reactions: OMG

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Another really worrying concern is their fightback ability. Instead of chipping away at a 3 try deficit by completing set after set no errors. They basically threw in the towel. They wanted a quit fix, the errors piled on and the defence gave in fully. Thats not a good sign for me. The god teams get back in the game by building pressure even when they could be behind by 2 or 3 tries.

What's also concerning to me is I didn't used to worry too much even if we were down up to about 18 down. Usually we could just play "warriorball" and be in with a chance, somewhere along the way we seem to have lost that ability.

We need to drain the energy of the oppositions defense before we can score against them at will. Trying to attack a fired up, high intensity bunnies line isn't going to get very far because they do something we don't. They work as a team on defense...

So every error we make drains our energy and gives them a stamina advantage. And when we also have players making contact with their ball carriers and not even grabbing them!, it just compounds the problem.

If we're going to continue making 14 errors a game we need to be 30% fitter than our opposition. That's basic physics...

Asking for more attacking flare is the easy way out...

So we have these structures that get us down the field without dropping the ball. That's great against a well formed defensive line. And when the bunnies line becomes choppy we can attack.

Problem is their line is hardly ever disjointed, while ours is a complete shambles more than enough for them to score 50 points... That's the first battle we lose when we play them. And it's the decisive one every time...

Fix those two problems first. The errors and the shambles of a defense line... Then we'll all be celebrating how good our attack is.

If I was to use a metaphor I'd say we have a car with a massive engine, but no breaks and wheels that all point in funny directions. And people are asking for more horse power? Madness.

What's also concerning to me is I didn't used to worry too much even if we were down up to about 18 down. Usually we could just play "warriorball" and be in with a chance, somewhere along the way we seem to have lost that ability.
its been played out of them, i think in todays nrl you will struggle to see huge come backs which use to be a regular occurence, the structure and style of the game is really dependant on getting into the redzone and putting on a set play. Very few long range tries these days, such a focus on building pressure to set up a block play for a try in the corner. Unfortunately i think alot of that mindset has effected players today and the game itself.

Ken Mamalo's second game stats.

15 runs for 145 meters, 2 tackle breaks, 1 line break, 1 tackle, 3 missed tackles, 3 errors.

Pros: Was a safe pair of hands catching the ball, and runs strong at the line.
Cons: Bad positional play on defense and a high error rate.

Lots to work on. I'm hoping he's not looking to Manu for inspiration on how to play footy... But I get the feeling that Manu is exactly who he looks up to...

As of right now he's not the winger we've been hoping for.

Reactions: facefacts and eric
its been played out of them, i think in todays nrl you will struggle to see huge come backs which use to be a regular occurence, the structure and style of the game is really dependant on getting into the redzone and putting on a set play. Very few long range tries these days, such a focus on building pressure to set up a block play for a try in the corner. Unfortunately i think alot of that mindset has effected players today and the game itself.
It's more coming from the 10 interchange rule and the increased fitness of the forwards these days that's making defense so much stronger in the top teams. We don't have that strong defense, but the best teams do.

It's more coming from the 10 interchange rule and the increased fitness of the forwards these days that's making defense so much stronger in the top teams. We don't have that strong defense, but the best teams do.

yeah the teams that "grind" well break down the weaker opponents which usually leads to a barrage of points.

Reactions: jonno
yeah the teams that "grind" well break down the weaker opponents which usually leads to a barrage of points.
Yep. And unfortunately for us, we were the weaker opponent...

I look back to the broncos game. It was 34 minutes before they made their first error and failed to complete a set. It's near impossible to beat a team who does that... now matter how many risks you take on offense....

After having finally calmed down, my only real thoughts are that this game has been brewing for some time now.

I really feel like this is what the "Well it was close, and we didn't play very well, but we'll take the 2 points" mentality has covered up. That bunnies performance was ace, and should be the benchmark for any side really. Hopefully it's given the boys a lot to think about and will be the turning point of our season.

I reckon scrap the Perth game altogether. In the last 5 - 6 years we lost every game. The rabbits know this, its 2 easy comp points for them. thats why they insist on playing us there. whats more important winning the comp or brownie points for promoting the game. the warriors should appeal against it next year. They travel enough as it is and with the time difference etc we will continue to lose. I hope this dont come back and bite them in the ass come playoff time. miss out of top 8 by 2 comp points. or worse still by points diff.

Wee bit off topic, but given the recent passing of JC & the Warriors glaringly obvious recent inadequacies, I thought I would post this clip as an example of the most consistently effective offensive defence from a single player in either code

Jerry "The Terminator" Collins, a true example of a footy player who put his body on the line, both offensively & defensively, every single time he played the game, be it for club, province or country

The Warriors could do no wrong in adopting some of this mans playing qualities into their game, it also goes to show that you don't need a shoulder charge to smash opposition players in the tackle, you just need good solid technique, the right attitude & a willingness to draw a line in the sand by consistently putting your body on the line

Also having a highly effective TEAM defensive structure is not rocket science imo, it's all just about communication, having the correct mental attitude right across the board & a willingness to cover your team mates back at all costs

The good news is that this type of team defensive structure & an all for one, one for all type of attitude can be taught / learnt through constant repetitive training & constant attitude reinforcement

The bad news is that this process takes time & an individual willingness to put your body on the line in every single game or in other words embrace the pain / grind

Frustratingly though, a relatively substantial portion of this current Warriors squad seem to have been found wanting atm in this crucial element of the game

For mine this whole process starts with the head coach / management & is then uniformly filtered down from the senior players through the ENTIRE playing roster, from first graders, to reserve graders right down to the U20s, who must all buy into this systemic process 100% or it simply doesn't work

I myself am not privy to the inner workings of the Warriors training methods / philosophies, so my question to those members on this forum that are would be, do any of you see any evidence of this type of systemic process in action ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Freddie Futler