Post Match NRL 2015 - Rnd 10 - Eels vs Warriors Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute
one of the big differences i have found in Australia is that desire to win still exists here. And they celebrate their successes. eg. my kids high school wants to know if your kid has achieved anything even if it has nothing to do with the school, they celebrate it and claim it.

Yeah all good boy's, I see your points, and I agree with both of you. I guess what I was trying to say is, it's very pleasing to see in the past 2 weeks our boy's play the whole 80 minutes and then some. But if I am to be true to myself, I still want them to win as well. LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I want the team to play for the whole 80 mins because it's pretty damn hard to win a grand final if you don't... It's up there with other top level elite skills like catching the ball when it's passed to you and holding on to it when you get tackled......:banghead:

Reactions: 1 user
Just on this Manu Vatuvei & his amount of errors thing, most if not all sportsmen / women have both their strengths & weaknesses in their given sport & Rugby League players are definitely no exception

Even the greats have their weak points, it's just a case of trying to minimise the effects those weaknesses have on the outcome of a game

As far as Vatuvei goes, yeah sure, it's no secret that his handling skills are the obvious weakness in his game, but imo his obvious strengths far exceed those weaknesses & also it cannot be said that he hasn't worked very hard to try & minimise the effects his obvious weak points could possibly have on the outcome of a match

I tend to weigh it up like this, how many times has Vatuvei's weaknesses actually outright lost us a game for either the Warriors or the Kiwis vs how many times has his undeniable strengths outright won us a game for the Warriors or the Kiwis, I can't be bothered trying to assess the stats on that one, but I'm willing to bet that Manu has been involved in the match winning play far more often than he has the losing one

Vatuvei's also an easy target imo, because his strengths & weaknesses are as contrasting as they are obvious, but like I said earlier, all the greats have their weaknesses, as great a player as Stacey Jones was, I've never really heard anyone harp on about the fact that he was actually a defensive liability & needed his "bodyguards" around him to minimise this weakness in his game, even this countries arguably greatest ever Rugby League player, Ruben Wiki, was more than prone to the occasional brain explosion in defence, head high tackles etc & this countries other arguably greatest ever Rugby League player, Mark Graham was, despite all the legends surrounding his toughness, pain threshold etc, one of the most injury prone players of his generation

But again, all of those great players strengths far exceeded their weaknesses ... Just like Manu Vatuvei :D

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
personally i cant agree, looking good and losing is all well and good for the movies, but in real life i want to support winners. So ill take 55 mins of bulldoser action and 10 mins of asleep at the wheel, and then 5 mins of total destruction of the opposition if thats what it takes.
Um, thats an oxymoron, if you want to support winners you have chosen the wrong team in the warriors. :D

Anyway what a hard family to please, Dad brings home the bacon and all we hear is whinges from the Whanau, Dad its not streaky bacon, dad its too salty, dad its not kosher killed. Shut and enjoy the bacon.:cool:

The more I see the footage of hoffman getting knocked out the more I think peats should've been charged for that.
More intent in that than konnies tbh

The more I see the footage of hoffman getting knocked out the more I think peats should've been charged for that.
More intent in that than konnies tbh

Watched nrl 360 and they commented on hoffys head knocks the last few weeks and how innocuous the both seemed to look, imo both looked to have a level of intent from the opposition tackler (or tackle-ee in peats case). Would hope he doesn't take another knock anytime soon tho

My issue with this is two fold. First someone needs to contest the kick to put pressure on and i didnt see anyone doing so tonight. Second the kick needs to be in the field of play, putting it into the ingoal and then no one contesting is gifting them 20 metre restarts.

So if your not going to contest it, or cant get the accuracy required then hoist it low and to the side line, go for the scrum on 10. even more time to set your line etc...
i think it mostly is in the field od play. i think the purpose is to mainly give your d line time to regroup. but yes centres and wingers should be first to get there.

So it's not true, is that what you're saying?
My comment was in reference to the general conclusions and opinions that you regurgitate to the masses on this forum as opposed to your specific morbid obsession with Manu's handling errors. But hey some of what I write on here is complete crap as well. The views I have expressed on Chad are grossly biased & unfair. I couldn't even tell you why I feel compelled to write it - perhaps just to get a reaction which I figure is the same motivation behind a lot of your 'better' material.

one of the big differences i have found in Australia is that desire to win still exists here. And they celebrate their successes. eg. my kids high school wants to know if your kid has achieved anything even if it has nothing to do with the school, they celebrate it and claim it.

I'm not entirely happy with that attitude, either. It's too much like "this boy did this great thing, um, outside of school, because it was before he came here/because we didn't know he was doing it since it's out of school hours...But he succeeded because he's one of us, had he not been one of us, he wouldn't have done it!" It's like if Lorde moved to England and in 10 years - so 2025 - won absolutely every Grammy there was possible to win. It'd be a bit off if England suddenly decided they should celebrate the two Grammys she won in 2014.

Or the Warriors claiming a Grand Final win because of Ryan Hoffman's previous wins/Claiming a great Warriors win if Shaun Johnson wins Gold in the 2016 Commonwealth Games 7s.

He's definitely gone. Playing it by the books and not telling anyone where he is going but he's gone...

There was some press article implying the Warriors wouldn't agree to the release unless they found some player as good or better. I took that a little bit as "the Warriors will try as hard as they can to keep Chad without looking like pricks given his personal circumstances." Do you let a player go and look like nice guys but end up with a maybe lesser player in that ex-player's spot, or fight to keep that player and lose the PR battle and keep that player for the next year but as soon as his contract's done he's gone and you can kiss that media/public face work he did willingly last year g'bye and please don't bitch about his lack of effort gamewise, either, because you know why that is.

My comment was in reference to the general conclusions and opinions that you regurgitate to the masses on this forum as opposed to your specific morbid obsession with Manu's handling errors. But hey some of what I write on here is complete crap as well. The views I have expressed on Chad are grossly biased & unfair. I couldn't even tell you why I feel compelled to write it - perhaps just to get a reaction which I figure is the same motivation behind a lot of your 'better' material.

My opinions about Manu dont change because his game doesn't change, this club consistently fails because it doesn't improve it's weaknesses, it just keeps making the same mistakes, just like Vatuvei.

As long as he continues makes an inordinate amount of unforced errors for the position he plays and the very basic way in which he plays it, i will keep talking about it, particularly as he just doesn't improve...honestly i think his defense and the issues that causes are just as big of a problem, but there is always a center next to him to cop the blame.

He is a liability on the wing plain and simple.

• Haha
There was some press article implying the Warriors wouldn't agree to the release unless they found some player as good or better. I took that a little bit as "the Warriors will try as hard as they can to keep Chad without looking like pricks given his personal circumstances." Do you let a player go and look like nice guys but end up with a maybe lesser player in that ex-player's spot, or fight to keep that player and lose the PR battle and keep that player for the next year but as soon as his contract's done he's gone and you can kiss that media/public face work he did willingly last year g'bye and please don't bitch about his lack of effort gamewise, either, because you know why that is.
You could demote him to reserve grade for the remainder of his contract. Make him play out of position and instruct all his team mates to never pass him the ball and fall of any tackle he's part of. Just to make him sorry he ever asked to leave...

That's some real footy club cuntmanship right there for yas...

But I don't get that vibe from the warriors very often...

We'll probably go the other way doing whats right for him but not best for us....

Nice guys always come last. If they know what's good for their marriage...

The marriage between player and club that is....

I knew the club did well during SOO but I was actually surprised by how well last two seasons during the SOO period the club has won 10 out of 12 games the best in the NRL. A very real chance I believe that by the end of SOO the club could be in the top 4.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
I'm not entirely happy with that attitude, either. It's too much like "this boy did this great thing, um, outside of school, because it was before he came here/because we didn't know he was doing it since it's out of school hours...But he succeeded because he's one of us, had he not been one of us, he wouldn't have done it!" It's like if Lorde moved to England and in 10 years - so 2025 - won absolutely every Grammy there was possible to win. It'd be a bit off if England suddenly decided they should celebrate the two Grammys she won in 2014.

Or the Warriors claiming a Grand Final win because of Ryan Hoffman's previous wins/Claiming a great Warriors win if Shaun Johnson wins Gold in the 2016 Commonwealth Games 7s.
I see it diferently i see it as Hey look at this awesome kid, isnt it wonderful that that kid wants to go to this school and is one of yous. But i suspect the actual answer is somewhere between the 2.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
you only need to look at the way that the sharks are handling Michael gordon to see that the warriors are handling it well. I also believe that hes still putting in the effort, a quick stats comparison should check that one way or the other. To me you do the best you can with him and help his misses as much as humanly possible to show the guys what you will do for your team, but dont release him unless he absolutely desperate and dont put him in a position where he feels he needs to walk out.