Where do you support the Warriors from?

• Auckland

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Other

Votes: 49 79.0%

• Total voters
eamon

eamon

wellington boy (Hutt Valley to be more specific) been there since game one in '95. Still remember the Sean Hoppe try (1st)

Reactions: 1 user
mode81

mode81

Born and bred Hamiltonian, home of the cowbells and jafa haters:finger::hilarious: so where the f is our tribute jersey uncle Wayne? "Waikato Warriors" has a nice ring to it.

Hamilton City Tigers is my club & Warriors proud since 95', still remember the first Auckland Warriors promotional roadshow at the old Te Rapa air force base which is now a huge shopping complex, mixing and mingling with the first ever squad was epic stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Evil_Mush

Evil_Mush

Was living in Wanganui when I watched the first Warriors game in '95 & living in Palmy Nth in '02 when I watched my first Warriors game live & became a hardcore Warriors supporter (thanks to the old high school mates I flatted with that year).

Now back in Wellington (where I was born) and a big a fan as ever.

mrblonde

mrblonde

Might be worth noting that majority of the traffic to this site comes outside of Auckland.

This is probably because outside of Auckland Warriors fans who don't have their own desktop/laptop accept that an internet cafe won't necessarily be serving lattes.

Within Auckland it causes coniptions....

Been in Auckland since way before the Warriors began, never liked Auckland NPC (and have always really preffered league anyhow) so jumped on the wagon when it rolled into town.

Warriors till I die - or they do too many stupid things (dumping McLennan with two games left and Elliott with only five games gone seem - without the background reasons why that can't be/won't be made public - kind of stupid when the offseason's the perfect time to me - OT rant over :) ).

Have been thinking about this a fair bit. Is there a national obsession with rugby or do we have a media industry based around rugby and a population that take what is put in front of them?

Well, we are genuinely good at the game (which always helps) but yes, I do suspect some positions have been filled by rugby supporters who use those positions to push their barrow. Same with the America's Cup, I don't think the country was as in love with it as the media made out. I can't speak about the influence rugby union has over schools (ie "play union or don't be a prefect" choices, "we won't fund your rugby union programme if you have a rugby league programme as well" threats) from personal experience although I have read and heard several stories along these lines...

Last edited:
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Have been thinking about this a fair bit. Is there a national obsession with rugby or do we have a media industry based around rugby and a population that take what is put in front of them?
I work in a school and we have the whole range of Waynes jerseys regularly worn, I couldn't tell you when I last saw a rugby jersey.

Its a media beat up - there are 120 people in my office in Auckland and not once have I ever heard a discussion about the Super 15 in the lunch room on a Monday morning. Compare that to football when I lived in London and you'll understand what I am talking about.

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Same with the America's Cup, I don't think the country was as in love with it as the media made out.

I think Kiwis tend to get behind things that the media tells them will get New Zealand noticed internationally (and not too many have the brains to realise that its actually not always true.)

Reactions: 2 users
mode81

mode81

Its a media beat up - there are 120 people in my office in Auckland and not once have I ever heard a discussion about the Super 15 in the lunch room on a Monday morning. Compare that to football when I lived in London and you'll understand what I am talking about.

Your from England so it's not in your DNA to like Rugby like most Kiwis do:hilarious:

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Back on topic, there is probably more reason to visit a site like this if you don't live in Auckland (which may sway the numbers when you consider posters from outside of Auckland vs those that live there.)

Akkerz

Akkerz

Contributor
Born in Otahuhu, lived in Mt Wellington and was one of the foundation season members in '95. Had high expectations in those days.. Moved to Palmy and travelled up for every home game.Now I'm in Rotorua, older, no wiser and still a deluded Warrior junkie..the Premiership dream lives on.

Reactions: 4 users
mrblonde

mrblonde

Okay, so I guess the next poll from this is:

How many Warriors fans would have a second New Zealand team (if the NRL ever allowed one) as their...um...yeah no way around this...second NRL team?

And furthermore:

If the Warriors ever crashed and burned, could you ever love another NRL team? (if, as I said above, there was a second New Zealand team, would you gravitate towards them rather than an Australian team? Go back to the team you supported before the Warriors?)

I'll answer my own questions:
Have the new New Zealand team as my second NRL team: Hell, yeah!!
Support another NRL team if the Warriors ever crashed and burned: Yes. The new New Zealand team if it existed, the Canberra Raiders - who I supported prior to 1995 - if not.

And your grammar is appalling.

And his grampar's even worse.

eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Okay, so I guess the next poll from this is:

How many Warriors fans would have a second New Zealand team (if the NRL ever allowed one) as their...um...yeah no way around this...second NRL team?

And furthermore:

If the Warriors ever crashed and burned, could you ever love another NRL team? (if, as I said above, there was a second New Zealand team, would you gravitate towards them rather than an Australian team? Go back to the team you supported before the Warriors?)

For sure, i can't stand any of the convict teams, theres some i hate more than others but mostly i root for the result that will help the warriors move up the ladder. I have tried to support one of the other 15 teams, but I just can’t do it. The cowboys are probably the closest (shudder) if only because the NRL delights in ripping them off with corrupt officiating and i feel a bit sorry for them.

So a second nz team is a no brainer to support (unless playing the warriors) and would jump aboard fulltime if the NRL ever stripped the warriors of their license (tried to imagine a realistic scenario where this would happen, couldn’t come up with one)

You would have to imagine many of the existing squad would be snapped up by the 'new' NZ team anyway, if the warriors were booted.

If the warriors went away and were replaced by new and improved Adelaide Rams, would probably just become an NRL widow and only watch origin and internationals.

Reactions: 1 users
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Is that right? so they suck shit at soccer and rugby, well I already knew that:D

Well, football is a global game you see so its a lot harder to win at internationally than, say, rugby or yachting.