General Nick Tedecshi & Steve Mascord

PB_old

A guy that gives me a few weekly chuckles, Nick Tedeschi at Making the Nut, and another that I have a lot of time for, Steve Mascord. Steve, of course, also works with the ABC, NRL.com, Rleague and others.

A sample of MTN's work. Highlighted a favourite part.

Another Coup from the Parramatta Recruiting Team: If you are washed up, not much good, on the outs, injury prone or after a deal triple your worth, be sure to contact the Parramatta recruitment team though the likelihood is, they have probably already contacted you. Paul Osborne has a sixth sense for The Dud.

If there was an award given to a collection of people who are the worst at their job in Australia, then those in charge of Parramatta’s recruitment and retention would have gold trophies stacked to the ceiling and quite possibly a note from the Queen.

Following on from what can only be called The Justin Poore Catastrophe, the wonderful signings of Jordan Atkins, Paul Whatuira, Chris Hicks, Chris Walker, Carl Webb and Reni Maitua, the loss of Kris Keating, the force-out of Nathan Cayless and the missed signatures of, among others, Cooper Cronk, Quade Cooper and Adam Blair, the club has decided to pay inaugural Willie M Medal winner Chris Sandow $550,000 a season.

Shane Richardson was right: Chris Sandow has found his Alan Bond and he would be a total and utter moron not to have taken the cash.

Sandow is now one of the two best paid players at Parramatta and is in the top-ten paid players in the game.

Not bad for a player who ranks below Johnathan Thurston, Scott Prince, Cooper Cronk, Mitchell Pearce, Jarrod Mullen, Trent Hodkinson, Peter Wallace and perhaps even Robert Lui in the list of halfbacks.

Let’s take a look at the numbers for these two anonymous players:

Player A

28 years old, 59 games, 9 tries, a win-rate of 44.07%, four finals appearances, one Grand Final appearance.

2011: 3 tries, 1 try assist, 198 tackles, 16 missed, 11 errors.

2008-11: 55 games, 9 tries, 12 try assists, 41 tackle breaks, 24 errors, 8 linebreaks, 1375 tackles, 129 missed (miss rate: 8.9%), 28.09 metres/kick

Player B

22 years old, 68 games, 18 tries, a win-rate of 47.06%, zero finals appearances, zero Grand Final appearances.

2011: 5 tries, 3 try assists, 104 tackles, 34 missed, 6 errors.

2008-11: 68 games, 18 tries, 35 try assists, 120 tackle breaks, 72 errors, 15 linebreaks, 1114 tackles, 443 missed (miss rate: 28.5%), 29.98 metres/kick

The second player seems to be marginally more potent but far more error prone and a far worse defender. He has a little more upside but also plenty more down.

The second player is, of course, Chris Sandow. The first is current Eels halfback Jeff Robson. He is thought to be on no more than $160,000 and that is probably skewing high.

Paying over three times more for Sandow when you already have Robson seems insanity as the entrée, main course and dessert. How much were they prepared to offer Cooper Cronk? $2 million a year?

There is no doubt Chris Sandow has played well this year. It is a contract year so that comes as no surprise. Most players who aren’t called John Sutton tend to lift when the cash is on the line. He has been, indisputably, one of South Sydney’s best. He also has a fairly long record of being ordinary for a club that should be better. The Rabbitohs failed on his back last year because he was so poor. Despite the talent at the club, Chris Sandow has never been able to lift the Bunnies to a finals appearance. He pumps his fist when he looks set to score a try yet goes missing when games are there to be won.

Parramatta have made a monumental mistake in signing Chris Sandow to a long and expensive deal, one that will seal Parramatta’s fate as a miserable excuse for a rugby league team for many years to come. The Eels have panicked and will now pay the price. I can only hope Paul Osborne remains Parramatta chief executive for many more years to come. He brings me so much joy.

His Sutton thought are not isolated:

Stupidity at South Sydney: John Sutton’s agent must be the smartest manager in the business. That, or those running the Rabbitohs are the biggest fools in rugby league. It could well be the latter.

For reasons unknown to anyone who follows rugby league, Souths gave Sutton a three-year extension. This followed on from eight matches where Sutton bummed through seven, playing reasonably in only one.

No decent club would have been chasing him. South Sydney had other needs in the halves, namely keeping Chris Sandow who, though I don’t rate him particularly highly, at least tries every week and has some upside.

There is one rule in sports contracts that holds true across every game across the globe: you don’t sign bludgers to long-term deals. Anyone who has seen Sutton loaf through this season or the last will no he is the epitome of a bludger. He couldn’t even be bothered in a contract year.

Mick Maguire is a good coach who may well be one of the greats. But he will have his work cut out for him making Sutton into a player who, firstly, cares and secondly, plays anywhere near the way someone with his physical tools should play.

King of the Milk Drinkers: John Sutton is the king of the milk drinkers. There are few players I can recall with his natural ability and devastating physical tools who have such little impact on a game because of his sheer disinterest. Sutton is a gutless, lazy, selfish footballer who rarely does anything more than harm South Sydney's chances of victory. The only time he switches on is when the Bunnies are up by 30, a cheap flat-track bully.

The left fringe of the Rabbitohs have rightfully been given a bath this year by all and sundry for underperforming with Greg Inglis and Dave Taylor both showing up overweight and both opening the season tentatively. Sutton deserves much of the blame and was certainly the key culprit for Souths' underperformance against the Tigers. Every time Sutton gets the ball, he lazily takes a couple of hops before either meekly falling into the defensive line or giving the ball to Inglis or Taylor way too late. Those two monsters just aren't getting any early ball, which is exactly what they need. And Sutton is to blame.

Sutton is off-contract at the end of the season. Souths should let him go, telling the Bra Boy that he can surf and get caught up in all-kinds of colourful mischief on his own time and on his own coin. No self-respecting club would keep Sutton on their books. Milk drinkers aren't that highly respected in rugby league.

And, lest you think it's all about John:

Corey Payne’s a Man, Jarryd Hayne’s a Milk Drinker: Corey Payne was right to stand over Jarryd Hayne when he refused to get up after a tackle on Friday night and demand he get up. Hayne was clearly faking injury, trying to win a penalty from the video referee. It is one of the lowest most despicable acts one can see on a rugby league field, the “simulation” that has blighted both soccer and basketball and has again raised its ugly head in league. Hayne was acting like a bitch and Corey Payne treated him like one.

It is no surprise that Jarryd Hayne was involved though. He is rugby league’s great cat, a little bitch who at nearly every opportunity takes the soft, prissy, cowardly and gutless option. It has always been his go. It always will be.

When Hayne did rise to his feet, realising he wasn’t winning a penalty and shamed by Corey Payne’s accusations of dog-like behaviour, the Parramatta skirt laid a headbutt on Payne, who responded by whacking Hayne right in the chops.

Both were sent to the sin bin. Hayne should have been sent off, for a headbutt is a headbutt and that is that but it didn’t matter: the player who had carved the Dogs to shreds in the opening quarter went to water when he returned, unable to respond once the vinegar was applied. Hayne cost Parramatta not only the momentum but a chance at two competition points and any respect the club may have around the league.

As is Hayne’s way though, he wouldn’t let it go. Hayne went whining to the press afterwards, calling Payne’s marginally high tackle a “dog shot”.

“It's one thing to dog-shot someone, it's another thing to mouth off after you've done it. If you dog someone, you keep your mouth shut. He wanted to carry on. I actually didn't want to fight but he threw the first punch,” he told the Sydney Morning Herald.

Hayne lives in a fantasy world, where he is a respected and liked player, where he thinks the world cares what he has to say. The truth is, he is nothing more than a low-down cheap shot merchant himself, a grub to borrow a line from Nathan Hindmarsh.

Corey Payne was right. Jarryd Hayne goes missing when the going gets tough. Any opposition player worth his salt will be rattling Hayne’s cage when they meet, hoping to continue Hayne’s run of nearly two years without playing near his potential.

He considers Mateo a milk drinker too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan_old

I've already bookmarked Nick's page from the link you provided in the other thread a few minutes back. Definitely my kind of material. Thanks for the tip. Loving it already (and I should be bloody working)!

danco_old

Chris Sandow is being paid $400,000 a year plus sponsers. it was Crowe who threw the $550,000 around,

Ryan_old

Chris Sandow is being paid $400,000 a year plus sponsers. it was Crowe who threw the $550,000 around,
Really? Both figures are pretty speculative, as far as I'm aware. Have you got a source of information on the $400k figure?

Fazz_old

$400k is still waaaay too ****ing high. If Parra were gunna toss around retarded amounts of money like that, they'd be better off going after any one of our halves...all are better then Sandow.

And to think that the Eels fans were giving us shit for signing Mateo and Inu...their recruitment is laughable. Parra are a rabble and it was our most embarrassing moment of the season thus far to have lost to them.

casso_old

400.000k a season

$400k is still waaaay too ****ing high. If Parra were gunna toss around retarded amounts of money like that, they'd be better off going after any one of our halves...all are better then Sandow.

And to think that the Eels fans were giving us shit for signing Mateo and Inu...their recruitment is laughable. Parra are a rabble and it was our most embarrassing moment of the season thus far to have lost to them.

is good coin in anybodies books but Hodkinson got 350k to go to the Bulldogs after 1 season of A grade.I see more potential is Sandow than Hodkinson.Halfbacks are worth their weight in gold if you look at the population of rugby league areas and then take a look at the amount of truly talented halves there are around you will know what I mean.
Little blokes don't hang around long in the juniors so learn the necessary skills to be a good halfback.They are monstered out early by mostly huge Poly kids before their bodies have a chance to mature so they leave the game early.Only ones with enormous courage and special skills stick with it!

Fazz_old

Yeah, but Hodkinson looks like a future rep player imo. Sandow has a much smaller upside. He's playing really well at the moment, but how much improvement does he have left in him?

Just throwing it out there, but how good are Manly going to be able to cut Hodkinson and have DCE take his place in addition to having Foran?

DCE looked the goods in Toyota cup, but I think the year in Queensland or New South Wales cup has done him a world of good, rather then coming straight from NYC as Sandow did. Lets hope it does the same for Johnson and he comes in looking as good as DCE.

Fazz_old

Well yeah, but I mean coming in and not being over awed or injured constantly. I think if all goes according to plan he'll be fighting for a spot in the Kiwis alongside Marshall and Foran.

PB_old

Well yeah, but I mean coming in and not being over awed or injured constantly. I think if all goes according to plan he'll be fighting for a spot in the Kiwis alongside Marshall and Foran.

Ah. Hope so.

The really cool thing is that Foran looks like he'll eventually become a lock. Might even be able to fit all three in there.

Fazz_old

I wouldn't be shocked. His defense is beast. A few more years and I can see him being in the mould of Beaver.

Also...Is it just me of do Menzies and Foran really look similar?

1. Locke
6. Benji
7. Johnson
9. Seluini
13. Foran

Could absolutely destroy the Aussies in 2-5 years if all of those players kick on.

sebastian_old

I wouldn't be shocked. His defense is beast. A few more years and I can see him being in the mould of Beaver.

Also...Is it just me of do Menzies and Foran really look similar?

1. Locke/Fish
6. Benji
7. Johnson
9. Mara
13. Foran

Could absolutely destroy the Aussies in 2-5 years if all of those players kick on.

Fixed ;)

Fazz_old

I could live with either quite happily haha

Only reason I don't have Mara in there is that I wonder how much game time he'll get over the next few years if he stays here. Hopefully it's a 60/40 split of something, but I can see him being left out of the team completely for an extra forward.

Locke over Fish for me too. He'll develop into an extra playmaker which would trouble the Aussie's more then anything as well as take pressure off the others. Besides, I'm hoping Fish will be developed into a centre or something

Spence_old

I reckon Forans hair is going to grow Hasler-esque. I wish, anyway. Hasler has the greatest head of hair of all time.

Fazz_old

Hasler hair ftw.

Between Foran's hair as well Bird and Leroyd-Lahrs' facial hair there's a bit of a retro kick happening in the nrl at the moment. Good shit.