Player Ngani Laumape

They hired Mark Hammett who gutted the team of it's big name stars with shit attitudes, then got destroyed by the media and fans, and then got dumped.

Now he can't get another coaching job whilst the team goes from strength to strength off his hard decisions

Having spent some time working with him in a mutual charity organisation we were involved in, he is a top notch guy who got a bum deal. I wonder if he knows much about league....

He didn't get a bum deal, he's just not very good at the job...being a nice guy doesn't automatically make you a good head coach.

He didn't gut the team, he booted Nonu and Hore, and the club didn't have any success until they re-signed Nonu and got rid of Hammett.

Reactions: ShaunJohnson7
Wow i cant believe hes only 24

Feels like he's been around forever
He debuted for us when he was 19 and played 30 games before he turned 22.

It's interesting that Kata is now 22 and we're all thinking we should offload him.

Laumape came back from off-season overweight in 2014. Kata came back from off-season with mental health issues in 2017. We just can't catch a break with these juniors..

He was always seen as the long term centre at the Warriors-it was his decision to leave
That isnt entirely true. He was stuck behind Konrad and Kata. He wasnt seen as powerful enough, and his brains and cunning were ignored. I had him pegged as someone truly special and i wanted to see the back of both our other "nuggets". Didnt surprise me in the least to see him break into the ABs so quickly (not that i know a thing about yawnion).

Reactions: matiunz
He was never staying in league... was always heading back to rugby at some point.
Also as mentioned every time he hits the news in union. He needed to move to Wellington due to his partner and it is a bit hard to play league when your in Wellington and the only league club is based in Auckland.

Good luck to him. Good to see he is doing well. Sure it is a shame he wasn't around a bit longer and some of the highlights we are seeing aren't in Warriors colours.

Nani's skills always had Union written all over him
I don't know how many times we all commented on his too like for like or too small for centre in league
This was every time he screwed up or was ineffective
The Union defensive pattern(s) obviously better suited to his skill set then league.
Was real happy to see him break the ABs, why would he go backwards

Reactions: snake77
I was always a big fan- shame it didn't pan out here.
I remember someone mentioning during the preseason a few years back that they had all the players put the gloves on and had a bit of a rumble and the highlight was a stoush between ngani and solomone.
I would've paid ppv money to see them two tanks bash each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boats n Hoes
The Union defensive pattern(s) obviously better suited to his skill set then league.
A good observation. He seems to be breaking a lot more tackles and is finding himself in a lot more space. The two sports are similar in terms of catching, passing rule but also different. In union they will often spread their defense like league but once they have worked the defense over and committed numbers to the ruck they can get more space. That looks to suit him.

His union background obviously helps and when he left there were articles quoting his old coaches and how keen they were to have him back.

Some of those runs at full pace he looked like a terrible prospect for a fullback to have charging at him.

Last edited:
Reactions: leaguejunkie
A good observation. He seems to be breaking a lot more tackles and is finding himself in a lot more space. The two sports are similar in terms of catching, passing rule but also different. In union they will often spread their defense like league but once they have worked the defense over and committed numbers to the ruck they can get more space. That looks to suit him.

His union background obviously helps and when he left there were articles quoting his old coaches and how keen they were to have him back.

Some of those runs at full pace he looked like a terrible prospect for a fullback to have charging at him.
He was capable of making space for himself in league. I remember one of the times when he was pushed back to reserve grade. He scored 4 tries, and if i remember rightly, they all came from barn-storming charging runs through his opponents. In first grade, his problem was he was too willing to share the ball with his winger. He had many more points in him, but he filled a different role as a feeder. Konrad was our battering ram, while Ngani was used to create space for his outside man. Kata was preferred as he was more like Konny. Quite a telling stat that Manu continued as top try scorer when paired with Ngani, but immediately lost that title to Kata once he cemented himself in first grade. The ball just stopped getting to Manu.

Wot? Kata debuted 2015, which is the same year Laumape suffered a season ending injury in Feburary training. By July Laumape had signed with Union. If Laumape had been fit Kata would have been playing reserve grade, or on the wing.
Wow. Thats bizaare. I have false memories of the Kata/Ngani debate. So who was holding Ngani out? Who took his spot the times he was demoted? When he came back from off-season over-weight, and when he was dropped mid-season?

I don’t ever remember there being a debate about him.
He was a solid but still very young player who was going well but not exactly setting the world on fire.
For personal reasons he went back to Wellington and for obvious reasons went back to union.
With a little bit more experience and put in the right systems he’s developed into a world class player.