General Newcastle recruit teenage Warriors utility

Wiki_old

Mate, do you reckon Vuna was a factor?

I think his choices to move offshore were based on the fact that there was a long line of players who were to be preferred in front of him.

I think Vuna could definitely be a factor in him moving to Newcastle though.

Actually come to think about it Vuna tried to pull Sonny Fai away shortly after he left us but Fai came out and said he is loyal to the club for showing faith in him and he would stick around.

Bummer. From the little I'd seen of him he was very aggressive. I just wondered a little though whether he was the same body type of Lauaki, and could suffer similar inconsistencies in his game? Guess we'll never know, so that's sad.

Not completely true. He is definitely a big hitter and in attack he has that spark. I remember watching him as a center and big wraps were on him then but for me personally he never kicked on like Matulino and Fai did. In saying that I haven't seen him since he started playing for the Vulcans.

In the end, I am only basing my opinion on his ability. I have no idea of the politics behind it and there may or may not be internal issues there. By the sound of Skinner (who is definitely in the know) on LU, he seems to think that Mika's head is well screwed on - leaving me to believe he believed he could take his ability elsewhere and get a go.

Apparently he turned up in the Newcastle camp a little overweight too. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. And that could just be a rumour.

BUT you guys shouldn't be worried. We have copious amount of backrow talent available at the moment floating around in the NYC and Fai and Matulino are better players over Mika.

We can't keep them all - and in this case I believe we kept the best.

Jesbass_old

I think his choices to move offshore were based on the fact that there was a long line of players who were to be preferred in front of him.

I think Vuna could definitely be a factor in him moving to Newcastle though.

Actually come to think about it Vuna tried to pull Sonny Fai away shortly after he left us but Fai came out and said he is loyal to the club for showing faith in him and he would stick around.

Not completely true. He is definitely a big hitter and in attack he has that spark. I remember watching him as a center and big wraps were on him then but for me personally he never kicked on like Matulino and Fai did. In saying that I haven't seen him since he started playing for the Vulcans.

In the end, I am only basing my opinion on his ability. I have no idea of the politics behind it and there may or may not be internal issues there. By the sound of Skinner (who is definitely in the know) on LU, he seems to think that Mika's head is well screwed on - leaving me to believe he believed he could take his ability elsewhere and get a go.

Apparently he turned up in the Newcastle camp a little overweight too. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. And that could just be a rumour.

BUT you guys shouldn't be worried. We have copious amount of backrow talent available at the moment floating around in the NYC and Fai and Matulino are better players over Mika.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to.

I first saw Mika play in the trials early this year, and he looked really good...but about as good as Steve Rapira who is still moving on up, and not as good as Fai and Matulino. In short, I think we have to stand back and ask the question: why, if he's so good, is he now lower on the pecking order than players he was once at least on par with, or above? (Fai, Matulino.)

Iafeta_old

Wiki, yes duly noted he's a big hitter. But in the two games I saw him play (one live) he did also lack a little bit in lateral D. I'm certain if you put a player like Lauaki into the NYC he would flatten players left right and centre.

blain91_old

shit thats right, steve rapira!! how is he going? has he played NYC yet?

there are bigger raps on both ah vans and rapiras younger brother..

waipiro_old

Totally agree. Can become a kneejerk reaction to think everyone who is released is a huge mistake i relation to who we retain

Jesbass_old

Totally agree. Can become a kneejerk reaction to think everyone who is released is a huge mistake i relation to who we retain

Absolutely. Vuna's loss gets compared to Ah Van's and Crockett's retainment, when in reality, it should probably get compared to Tate's recruitment.

It's all about context.

Wiki_old

Wiki, yes duly noted he's a big hitter. But in the two games I saw him play (one live) he did also lack a little bit in lateral D. I'm certain if you put a player like Lauaki into the NYC he would flatten players left right and centre.

Oh, I see what you are saying now and yep, I totally agree.

Esoj_old

its almost always sad to lose a player but I think this is best for both parties. we got guys like fai and mautalino coming through so mika probably wouldn't of had much game time here going forward. good luck to him over in newcastle.