General New Zealand Warriors sign Andrew 'Joey' Johns as halves coach

Iafeta_old

I believe the term is "umpf" or "X factor" and not just because of that stupid program. I think i'm gonna use "etc" a lot in this post For Thurston/Cronk/Benji so i'll simply reduce it to "ThurstonE". I sort of agree with you to an extent. I agree that ThurstonE are the more talented players at this stage. But I genuinely think Maloney suits the Warriors style of play more then ThurstonE. That doesn't mean that ThurstonE won't be as good at the Warriors as Maloney is. I'm simply saying that the Warriors could be better without them. Although ThurstonE are extremely tanlented, their teams rely on them too much. I'm almost certain that if ThurstonE join the warriors we would improve a lot. But our style would turn to suit the playing style of ThurstonE. Which could turn bad if he gets injured as the team would forget how to play without him, instead of the multiple dimensions of attacks we have through Mateo, Johnson, Manu, hopefully Friend. I think all of our dimensions would change just to suit the style of ThurstonE. The Tigers and the Cowboys are proof of this since when Benji or Thurston gets injured they don't have a different way of attacking. The only reason the Storm/Auzzie, don't fail as much when ThurstonE gets injured is because they have people who can do nearly as fine a job. Thus raising my concerns over whether or not ThurstonE would really be a good thing for the club. Maloney might not the be the player with the most umpf but when he is with JohnsonE he doen't have to be. I guess what i'm trying to say is that Maloney adds a dimension to the warriors attacks and can let the others make something special for us without having to move a finger. Of course I might be wrong and ThurstonE makes us stronger without the repercussions. But depending on the cost i'd rather keep Maloney and Johnson together, Why fix what isn't broken as they say.

I think once Johnson gains a little bit more experience to take control of the team a bit more in terms of his kicking game and in terms of just organising the structure and shape of the side (that, and some of his defence is all he really needs to work on), that the partnership with Maloney will be outstanding. Maloney suits some of our more skillful players in the middle and the smaller players on the fringe who can get an offload away. It also seems to me he's formed an excellent combination, almost telepathic, with Kevin Locke. Get Johnson onto the same wave level and we'll carve up through the middle.

It'll be tough to keep James. We'll need to pay good cash to get him. But for mine, we have a chance to almost 'do a Storm' in having a truly outstanding spine with genuine gamebreakers in halves and fullback working off Mateo's skill as well if we were to keep him. The rest of the team is solid, its those blokes though that have true X factor. The other thing is I think Maloney's style of game is suited playing with the Warriors.

ToiletDuck_old

Yeah look I think James is pivotal to our setup. He creates a lot of indecision in the opposition's defensive line when he runs the ball, runs very good lines (how many Mateo assist Makoney line breaks did we see), solid kicking and great support play.

I also think people sometimes forget James has only been around for two seasons, and has finished each season a much better player. It takes time to get to the Thurston, Cronk level etc. Cooper himself was hardly a superstar in his first few seasons, he looked like a manufactured half to suit the Storm's style. Still is to a large degree, but obviously very good at it.

Iafeta_old

One thing our club's history shown is that its a hard road to get a quality half. When all of a sudden you get two who compliment each other so well, and you have a backrower and fullback who literally diddle each other to work in combination with our 6 and 7 combo, you have the ingredients of a premiership quality team. You need look no further than the Melbourne Scum. At least 3 players of serious quality in the 1, 6, 7, 9 spot and a fairly decent bloke in the other spot, and the rest almost takes care of itself. When the rest currently consists of Mateo, Vatuvei, Inu, Matulino, Rapira, Mannering, Brown (as a backrower), Packer and the like... to me it is is bloody critical you keep the core set of these blokes together before you really look to do anything in the markte, and frankly the first part of that is the bloke who first came into those key spine roles and looked quality from the get go (Maloney). Yeah, I'd be willing to give him $350k to stay.

fanrrior_old

Geez, I giggle like a school girl with a crush when I look at the Warriors future.
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this but oh well. Did you guys see the awesome offload series between Locke and Matulino. Well, it was awesome until Mats gave it to Auzzie.

But still, it was as if they new each other were going to throw the ball excusing a minor lapse in judgement. Either those two has improved a lot in support play though Locke was good to begin with. Or *dramatic pause* they're teamwork has started to blossum. Given that most of our team has the power of the offload, no e.g needed. In the season of 2011 from the outside looking in, Maloney was the only guy making the most of our Mateo's offloads. But with Locke improved even more in his suppot play things can only get better.

Towards the end of last season we finaly did what Cleary had wanted and actualy dominated the storm. I don't know if we dominated them bcause the boys had all clicked at the same time or if Cleary said something to them at half time. But if its the latter I wonder if Bluey can do the same ;).
If we can keep that through the next few years it would be like we may have a real game plan. Its crazy when you think about it... Now that we can dominate it gives our gems like Johnson chance's to shine. If he could make a play out of nothing before who knows what he and the rest of the team are capable of doing now.

Besides maybe Tayler, the entire team brings some thing different. Even our props have something unique in them. Our bench is nearly always the best in the comp because of this. Injuries and freak accidents should be the only thing stopping us from being the best this year.

dingleberry_old

sounds like everyone's been internalizing some really complicated situations in their heads

fanrrior_old

sounds like everyone's been internalizing some really complicated situations in their heads

Well this is the time of the year for it and I do enjoy listening to the opinion of other people when it comes to the Warriors. Its far better then the sense of melancholy that drowns the forum when we navigate through troubling times.

Spence_old

I think you need to see this fanrrior.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8gSL-LJ0iw[/YOUTUBE]