General New Zealand Warriors sign Andrew 'Joey' Johns as halves coach

Chch fan_old

I can't agree with either. Maloney has been really good for us much better than an Aussie shot in the dark or mercenary but no way in hell has he been one of the best players in the NRL that's for sure.

numbnutsnz_old

Your delirious if you cant say hes been one of the best. For him to even get a mention as a chance of playing in origin or the kangaroos is enough to say hes a top player. That and the Grand final he just took his team too.

Spence_old

I don't rate Maloney in the top echeon of halves either, to be honest. He's a good, honest fiddler, with a good support game and good kicking game, in my opinion.

Ryan_old

I don't rate Maloney in the top echeon of halves either, to be honest. He's a good, honest fiddler, with a good support game and good kicking game, in my opinion.
Okay. Going by 2011 form alone, tell us who you rated above him?

fanrrior_old

in no particular order here are the halves in the nrl that I would consider swapping with Maloney. Lockyer isn't in it cause he's retired
Benji= Kiwi captain, holds the nrl's precious ring
Thurston= Auzzie five-eight next year, gave his nrl's precious ring to Price when he was at the Bulldogs
Cronk= Auzzies halfback next year, held the nrl's precious ring until at least the salary incident don't know if he still has it
Foran= kiwi halfback, holds the nrl's precious ring
Cherry-Evans= not too sure if i'd swap, but he does holds the nrl's precious ring.

knowing we'd pay overs only these players are worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

blain91_old

You wouldnt take Benji over Maloney?? Man you crazy..

They have similar games, Maloney has a bit better kicking, but Benjis passing and playmaking is so much better. Not really organising halves, but thats why they are No 6's.

BringBackRovelli_old

Maloney is a leader and a fighter. Benji is a show pony and a defensive liability.

Ryan_old

You wouldnt take Benji over Maloney?? Man you crazy..
Yes. And possibly.

They have similar games
They do? Coulda fooled me.

Maloney has a bit better kicking
Benji is a terrible kicker. One of the worst in the game (as far as halves go).

but Benjis passing and playmaking is so much better.
Definitely, but we Shaun Johnson for that. Shaun Johnson and Benji on the same team sounds like a recipe for disaster, in my opinion.

Not really organising halves, but thats why they are No 6's.
I rate Maloney, only after two seasons, as a better head than Marshall. Benji regularly does the most idiotic things.

This isn't a troll, but just a matter of differing perspectives. That's how I see the two players, in comparison. It's not only a player v player analysis, but what benefit they would bring to the Warriors as whole team.

fanrrior_old

yeah uh my list was who I would consider btw, just so no one tries to bite my head off... as if they could :p

Beetle_old

yeah uh my list was who I would consider btw, just so no one tries to bite my head off... as if they could :p

Using your example, thats 4 clubs who have a better half/halves.
Good halves are a rarity and I think in the past 2 seasons Maloney has proved he is one of those. Look at the money thrown at Sandow and the signing of Carney with all the baggage he carries.
How many halves did we go through before we found one who's selection in the team each week wasn't questioned on whether they deserved to be there or not.

blain91_old

Yes. And possibly.

They do? Coulda fooled me.

Benji is a terrible kicker. One of the worst in the game (as far as halves go).

Definitely, but we Shaun Johnson for that. Shaun Johnson and Benji on the same team sounds like a recipe for disaster, in my opinion.

I rate Maloney, only after two seasons, as a better head than Marshall. Benji regularly does the most idiotic things.

This isn't a troll, but just a matter of differing perspectives. That's how I see the two players, in comparison. It's not only a player v player analysis, but what benefit they would bring to the Warriors as whole team.

Your responses are fine, if you are judging him over his last 3-4 games. Up to round 25 he was one of the best players, and almost won the Dally M. He has been shit his last 2 games, but you cant judge his whole career on these games.

I Meant similar games as in they both are supporting halves, not dominant halves. They both are more runners than guiding the team around the park (Most of the time).

Ryan_old

That's right, I am judging moreso on recent history as opposed to career wide. Taking his entire career into account, Benji has shown us he is amongst the best there is.

Spence_old

Okay. Going by 2011 form alone, tell us who you rated above him?

I'm not trying to say he's bad. There isn't long list of players I'd rather. Like I said, he's got a good kicking game, and is a good support player. My main qualm with him is that he lacks class, for want of a better word. Some players just have it (again, lack of a better phrase). Although with our current structure in attack perhaps a supporting half is what we need.

Anyway, as for your question. I rate Thurston, Cronk and Benji as the the upper echelon of halves in the NRL. Maloney, Soward, Mullen, etc, are all very good players, not taking anything away from them, but I don't think they are in the same league.

KeepingTheFaith_old

I won't be devastated if Maloney leaves but would be happy for him to stay.

My feeling is that we won't be able to match what other clubs will offer without paying overs. In that scenario - see you later.

Ryan_old

I'm not trying to say he's bad. There isn't long list of players I'd rather. Like I said, he's got a good kicking game, and is a good support player. My main qualm with him is that he lacks class, for want of a better word. Some players just have it (again, lack of a better phrase). Although with our current structure in attack perhaps a supporting half is what we need.

Anyway, as for your question. I rate Thurston, Cronk and Benji as the the upper echelon of halves in the NRL. Maloney, Soward, Mullen, etc, are all very good players, not taking anything away from them, but I don't think they are in the same league.
I understand. It was a genuine question, not a loaded one to push an agenda.

fanrrior_old

I believe the term is "umpf" or "X factor" and not just because of that stupid program. I think i'm gonna use "etc" a lot in this post For Thurston/Cronk/Benji so i'll simply reduce it to "ThurstonE". I sort of agree with you to an extent. I agree that ThurstonE are the more talented players at this stage. But I genuinely think Maloney suits the Warriors style of play more then ThurstonE. That doesn't mean that ThurstonE won't be as good at the Warriors as Maloney is. I'm simply saying that the Warriors could be better without them. Although ThurstonE are extremely tanlented, their teams rely on them too much. I'm almost certain that if ThurstonE join the warriors we would improve a lot. But our style would turn to suit the playing style of ThurstonE. Which could turn bad if he gets injured as the team would forget how to play without him, instead of the multiple dimensions of attacks we have through Mateo, Johnson, Manu, hopefully Friend. I think all of our dimensions would change just to suit the style of ThurstonE. The Tigers and the Cowboys are proof of this since when Benji or Thurston gets injured they don't have a different way of attacking. The only reason the Storm/Auzzie, don't fail as much when ThurstonE gets injured is because they have people who can do nearly as fine a job. Thus raising my concerns over whether or not ThurstonE would really be a good thing for the club. Maloney might not the be the player with the most umpf but when he is with JohnsonE he doen't have to be. I guess what i'm trying to say is that Maloney adds a dimension to the warriors attacks and can let the others make something special for us without having to move a finger. Of course I might be wrong and ThurstonE makes us stronger without the repercussions. But depending on the cost i'd rather keep Maloney and Johnson together, Why fix what isn't broken as they say.