General New Zealand Warriors sign Andrew 'Joey' Johns as halves coach

EnterFien_old

Source: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...-as-halves-coach/story-e6frexnr-1226172291429

New Zealand Warriors - fresh from a second NRL grand final appearance - have signed legend Andrew Johns to help coach their halves for next season.

The Warriors confirmed Johns' signing yesterday.

Johnson and five-eighth James Maloney will be the big winners in Johns' decision to arrive at Mt Smart Stadium.

Johns was sounded out by new Warriors coach Brian McClennan, who will replace Penrith-bound Ivan Cleary in 2012.

It is understood Johns will travel to Auckland in December and January - and then several times throughout the season - to take Johnson and Maloney to the next level.

Johns helps with a number NRL clubs - his kicking and positional advice invaluable.

"Joey is a wonderful halves and kicking coach," said former Australian teammate Laurie Daley.

"Shaun Johnson is rapidly becoming a star, if he's not already. No doubt he will keep improving under Joey.

"I have worked with Joey at NSW State of Origin level. It's a big coup for the Warriors.

"The Warriors had three grades in grand finals this year. They look like a growing powerhouse."

Maloney comes off contract after next season and is being sought by a number of clubs.

fitzy_old

Maloney comes off contract after next season and is being sought by a number of clubs.[/QUOTE]

I could read that all day too. I hope someone up there in the ivory tower has the nouse to re sign him quickly. His pairing with Johnson has great written all over it:a:?

WarriorDog_old

Maloney comes off contract after next season and is being sought by a number of clubs.

I could read that all day too. I hope someone up there in the ivory tower has the nouse to re sign him quickly. His pairing with Johnson has great written all over it:a:?[/QUOTE]

I think it is safe to say that Maloney will not be a warrior after next season. Thats if he doesn't get an early release.
I believe the future is going to be"

1. The Fish
6. Locke
7. Johnson

RRG_old

I hope someone up there in the ivory tower has the nouse to re sign him quickly

I don't think it is a matter of nouse, as much as him wanting to move back to sydney. With him getting lots of offers from other clubs we would have to pay huge money to keep him, I wonder if we could afford to pay both him and Johnson big money

Jesbass_old

I don't think it is a matter of nouse, as much as him wanting to move back to sydney. With him getting lots of offers from other clubs we would have to pay huge money to keep him, I wonder if we could afford to pay both him and Johnson big money

I don't think it's about purse, either. The guy is a young father who is homesick. I think it's ultimately as simple as that.

RRG_old

(insert stray dog voice)Yeah he wants back to sydney for family reasons for sure (end stray dog voice). What I was meaning was even if he was open to staying at the club, I think he will be getting a lot of big offers and it would be debatable whether we could pay big coin to both him and johnson.

Jesbass_old

(insert stray dog voice)Yeah he wants back to sydney for family reasons for sure (end stray dog voice). What I was meaning was even if he was open to staying at the club, I think he will be getting a lot of big offers and it would be debatable whether we could pay big coin to both him and johnson.

Yeah, it'd be hard to disagree with you there. I really do hope we keep him, but I'm expecting him to sign with a Sydney club.

Fazz_old

I'm guessing either Penrith, Souffs or Bulldogs for Maloney. Though any Sydney club with some coin is a good chance. We'd have to stump up some serious cash to keep him.

Johns coming here next year will be amazing for Johnson and Maloney's development. He'll surely have some good tips for them. Plus he'll be more bias towards us on tv lol

Spence_old

He's already pretty biased towards us, I reckon. I'm also looking forward to him helping Locke develop some more ball skills.

Jesbass_old

One thing that the article hasn't mentioned, but Johns himself has, is that he's not just here to coach the halves, but the hookers as well. Just sayin'.

Fazz_old

He's already pretty biased towards us, I reckon. I'm also looking forward to him helping Locke develop some more ball skills.

Haha deff. He was obviously a Knights man first of all. But it seemed like we were probably his 2nd or 3rd team. Locke+Ball skills would be deadly. Possible Dally M quality like Slater.

Man I'm just hoping (praying?) that we don't have any injuries in the spine next year. If we can keep the core of the team all year, we'll go more then alright.

Spence_old

I too hope we don't have any injuries in the spine, but having Fisiiahi and Godinet coming in as replacements isn't exactly horrible.

scottyb_old

Man I'm just hoping (praying?) that we don't have any injuries in the spine next year. If we can keep the core of the team all year, we'll go more then alright.[/QUOTE]
Couldnt agree more if we keep the core for the majority of next season fit and ready to play we will be a force to reckon with next year. But every team will lift for us because we made the GF this year. We will have to be super fit next year so the boy's better have a good pre season fitness base come kick off 2012.

a.c.e_old

I could read that all day too. I hope someone up there in the ivory tower has the nouse to re sign him quickly. His pairing with Johnson has great written all over it:a:?

We could have a Prince/Benji at Tigers scenario playing out, with our Prince version (Maloney) leaving also after a successful partnership.

cornelius_sulla_old

I like the news about Johns coming to the club, but I could give a **** about Maloney. He didn't want to be here in the first place. Maloney is a mercenary who'll be gapping it shortly. We'll be looking for a replacement as soon as his contract runs out, and I hope Bluey goes with a young Kiwi and not another Aussie shot in the dark.

numbnutsnz_old

I like the news about Johns coming to the club, but I could give a **** about Maloney. He didn't want to be here in the first place. Maloney is a mercenary who'll be gapping it shortly. We'll be looking for a replacement as soon as his contract runs out, and I hope Bluey goes with a young Kiwi and not another Aussie shot in the dark.

That shot in the dark has been one of the best players in the NRL the last two years. Have you been watching?