Internationals New Zealand -v- Australia *SPOILER*

Jesbass_old

20-20

Wow...what an emotional roller coaster!

So, so close. Still, the draw is better than the predicted thrashing. GO KIWIS!

playdaball_old

Yeah ...

Blair was great. The more I see of this guy the more I like him. Hust needs to get rid of the penalties he gives away.

Best game I've seen pritchard play for the Kiwis whilst Sio was solid too. JWH

Magic Stick_old

JWH is a future superstar going places
Junior Sau was fantastic...runaway bus
Frank Paul.... jeez he has come on big time under Kearney

motu1_old

can someone do a live stream of nz v france next week
i don't think channel 9 is showing it

IanS_old

Really should have won, but we do have a habit of getting better as a tournament goes on which is a positive.

Good efforts by the young guys, which looks good for the future.

Magic Stick said:
Ganson is a shocking ref.....2 forward passes for 2 kangaroo tries

Indeed. Both were very poor calls.

daj3_old

I know Soliola has been playing the odd game in the forwards but the Kangaroos have a great forward pack this year and he's going to have to soak up a lot of tackles, something that he will not be used to especially at this level.

Just thought I'd dredge up an historical post... haha :wave:

I thought Soliola was the best on the park tonight. Not meaning to be a fanboy... I always thought he was a solid player, but tonight he smashed so many Australians!

I thought we were lucky Australia didn't go to Inglis more... I think Aus will watch the replays and come to the same conclusion. Holy crap our forwards were good, just goes to show how you counter the best back line in the world, by giving them next to nothing to work with, our back line on the other hand looked first class (apart from defending against Inglis). Still it's not a win, and the Aussies will be battle hardened come finals time.

If the injuries to Harrison and Lima amount to anything I'd say we'll see Packer get a test call up... what a season for rookies. Hopefully Kearney tries some minor changes against France and England so we can be sure we have the best line-up if we make the finals.

daj3_old

On Ganson... shocking as expected, but I thought he did well to keep 26 players on the paddock all game. I've gotta give him credit for that.

leeds_warrior_old

Lucky Aussies, lucky lucky Aussies

Good to see how the Kiwi fans suddenly think Gansons a poor ref when before this game he was a good ref.

Tajhay_old

that was a freaking fantastic game! so freaking brutal.

isaac has so much heart for what looks like a 12yo schoolkid :)

Magic Stick_old

Ganson was HORRENDOUS. and not just on those allowed forward passes. He just had a shocker
I guess the pace and physical nature of the contest was just too much for him

leeds_warrior_old

Ganson can't even handle a Super League game, he should be sent to the Championship next season.

2big2strong_old

If the injuries to Harrison and Lima amount to anything I'd say we'll see Packer get a test call up... what a season for rookies. Hopefully Kearney tries some minor changes against France and England so we can be sure we have the best line-up if we make the finals.

He can't. Once the teams play their first game that's it, the players they've picked are locked in and they can't add to it. New rule that started this year just for this tournament. If we happen to use up 7 players, we have to field a 3 man bench, which goes to show the confusion most people had with NZ and France picking 23 man squads when Aus and England picked 24 man squads. Packer should have been added as 24th man because we were already short a prop as it was without Lima being in doubt.

2big2strong_old

Great game, but i don't know how to feel. Just like they say, a draw is like kissing your sister, now I know how soccer fans feel every week and people from Gore feel everyday.

Ganson was attrocious. And to be honest we got the better hand than Australia did, some of the penalties he called were mind boggling, he'd penalise the Australians for holding down in the tackle that seemed innocent then would let 50 similar ones pass by, very confusing for the players. In the fight, Gallen was warned for running in when he was the instigator! terrible, if that was in the NRL NZ would of got the penalty for Gallen starting it and Thaiday and Blair would of got 10 minutes for running in.

Nathan Fien had a cracker of a game, I'm his harshest critic, can't stand his style of play at all but he came up with the right option a lot on the last tackle and defended superbly. I can't see Foran getting a run, if I was Kearney I wouldn't tamper with the halves at all (I guarantee all rookies will get a run next week against France) because the more games Fien and Marshall can play together the better they're going to gel for the final if/when we make it.

Steve Matai needs to go, he was a passenger out there today I'd much rather see Inu take his spot. Goodwin was solid as was Perrett and Hohaia so I can't see Locke or Nightengale getting a look in unless someone gets injured. Sau can lock that center spot in for the next few years and then I see him doing a Wiki and switching to the front row.

2big2strong_old

Ok, calling matai a passenger was a bit harsh. I just had a look at the stats and he was only 1 of 3 players to make over 100m. Fui Fui and Sau were the other two but Sau missed 8 tackles, more than anyone on the park. Matai also demolished his opposite centre Hodges in all stats, except for tackle breaks, Matai didn't break any tackles. I'd still prefer to see Inu in his spot though, I just feel he offers a lot more in attack with his offloads and his skill under the high ball.

Last edited by a moderator:

a.c.e_old

KICKING!!!!!!!!!! Cost us on the board, we need a kicker damnit, we let that win get away.

Jesbass_old

Which are the two tries that everybody seems to be harping on about as coming off forward passes? I'm assuming one is the pass to Inglis after what looked a three man strip by us that ended in a try in the corner to...someone...Morris?

Which was the other one?

Are those who have stated this all Aussie-based? Because the Kiwi broadcast barely commented on it. In fact, the only person who commented on it was Logan Swann at half time.

The only really bad blunder was the Gallen/Luke incident, and he was going off incorrect advice from the touch judge. He made a few poor calls, but was far from shocking, especially considering some of the NRL refereeing efforts we've seen in recent years.