General New Zealand Politics

If there was an election today, who would you vote for?

• National

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Labour

Votes: 24 37.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • NZ First

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Act

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • New Conservative Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • None of then

Votes: 10 15.6%

• Total voters

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
So much for a choice for ratepayers about their water infrastructure. Mahuta has spoken and she is grabbing those assets like it or not. Democracy is disappearing fast.
Years of fecal contamination, lead poisoning and water born diseases under local council management hasn't left the govt much choice. I wouldn't trust my council to clean my fish tank.

Mr Dragon

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2015
‘In September, Woods said the Government had sought further policy advice on build-to-rent.

Woods said she had asked the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development for advice on "issues" to do with build-to-rent.’

Labour don’t get it… you’ve shafted landlords, change rules with no consultation, retrospectively introduce negative compliance, made the rules extremely complex and displayed a willingness to interfere randomly on ideology. The number 1 thing investors need is certainty. Labour is scary, and unpredictable for property investors.

They just don’t get it - you have made the people that offer the solutions your enemy.

I think they want to go back to owning everything. National really need to get their act together, i wouldn't have a clue what they believe in. They used to be for farming and conservative issues, you couldn't say that nowadays, they did bring in gay marriage 🤣

dean

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 13, 2016
Years of fecal contamination, lead poisoning and water born diseases under local council management hasn't left the govt much choice. I wouldn't trust my council to clean my fish tank.
ACC has $11 billion invested. I have never heard of fecal contamination in drinking water and no council has lead pipes. Have you had your water tested?

wizards rage

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
How would you fix the issue that has been happening for many years 🤔Something should have happened years ago
Bring in regulations for the standard. It’s irrelevant if council or govt, just meet the standard.

Explain how the govt can do better than councils if there are set standards?

Just another Auckland supercity experiment that delivers nothing extra. This system just adds extra layers of management for no better outcome.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
Bring in regulations for the standard. It’s irrelevant if council or govt, just meet the standard.

Explain how the govt can do better than councils if there are set standards?

Just another Auckland supercity experiment that delivers nothing extra. This system just adds extra layers of management for no better outcome.
Serious question. Do you think that our local council has been improving since being taken over 🤔

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
I haven't looked into this water reform in great detail besides articles that have perked my interest or Facebook posts for it around my home town.

Auckland where I live already has it outsourced to Watercare which from my understanding is different to how the other councils work. My home town which is meant to be one of the "younger" towns in the country has water issues to the point it was the main focus on their local elections. Also been on the news for brown water.

Auckland has also been in a drought (don't laugh 😆 ) for over a year so Watercare can be rightly questioned on their management.

Then there is the Havelock North incident.

I can see the anger from councils as they have assets removed. Each council will be a different state in terms of how well they have managed that asset. The prediction was their option to opt out would be over ruled as Mahuta has done his already on another policy.

The public service isn't known for being well organised or moving quickly. But they have access to more capital.

If you look at the time line in this article there still seems like this is still light on detail and there is more consultation to take place. By that I mean how it will work. Mahuta's announcement also sounded like that as well with some of her statements.

Reactions: Worried2Death

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga

wizards rage

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Auckland has also been in a drought (don't laugh 😆 ) for over a year so Watercare can be rightly questioned on their management.

Then there is the Havelock North incident.
So is every single city in the country going to have excess capacity for a 3 year drought? I don’t think so! It’s just convienient…

Havlock North - 1 incident across the whole country used as an excuse? What about Oranga Tamariki? Failures every week under the government… Then multiple govt agencies prosecuted over White Island, etc, etc. how about the govt to handling of vaccination roll out, MIQ, etc.

The govt is no better than a local council with set regulations and the council are local with all the benefits.

Reactions: bruce