General New Zealand Politics

If there was an election today, who would you vote for?

• National

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Labour

Votes: 24 37.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • NZ First

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Act

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • New Conservative Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • None of then

Votes: 10 15.6%

• Total voters

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Tam is a classic example of the mental torture Chinese speaking kids experienced when they arrived in New Zealand. It is much better now than before but I am sure it is still there.

Similarly rural New Zealand offered work and self respect for Maori youth. In the 1980's that was brutally taken away from them.

They feel unwanted by society, and especially the education system, so of course if they find a group of guys educationally challenged and on the wrong side of the tracks it is comfort they cannot ignore.

Add in a few psycho leaders and it is a time bomb.

Most don't follow that track though.

I remember when gangs were basically a social club that included small time crooks who managed to get into a few fights on the weekend.

Sorry bro, that is no longer the case. They are organized criminal organizations turning over massive amounts of money peddling the evil of meth, which they use to get girls for their brothels and out calls.

Country girls near tourist areas need to pay for their meth somehow.

Are you telling me Harry Tan knows nothing about this? What were those girls doing in Whangarei?

As far as the Police goes I am not close to that scene, but New Zealand is different to places like Sydney where being on the take is more accepted. My guess is that any cop involved in the drug scene here would be outed sooner or later.

Sorry bro, I think he is a prick.
I take all your points but it doesn’t make him fair game to have untrue allegations levelled at him because you think he’s a prick. I’m not disputing your stance towards gangs, I feel similarly, but to be able to make false allegations about somebody for not following a way of life you approve of is dangerous thinking. Many innocent black people have been locked away in countries like America because they fit the profile. Had Winston have said Tam knows who the people were that went to Whangarei, that would support your argument, but instead Winston said Tam was the person involved, and that was wrong.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I take all your points but it doesn’t make him fair game to have untrue allegations levelled at him because you think he’s a prick. I’m not disputing your stance towards gangs, I feel similarly, but to be able to make false allegations about somebody for not following a way of life you approve of is dangerous thinking. Many innocent black people have been locked away in countries like America because they fit the profile. Had Winston have said Tam knows who the people were that went to Whangarei, that would support your argument, but instead Winston said Tam was the person involved, and that was wrong.
Defamation action is a complex thing and very expensive to undertake. It happens regularly, especially from fat cats to people who don't have the money to defend themselves.

Harry Tam would have had to front with a few thousand up front just to get the action started. He would have got that back with interest. So I don't weep for him at all. He has had a financial and PR victory, which he deserved.

Winston is a dickhead, always has been, and mixes with old fashioned right wing types who pedal dud information. Ones with grey hair are sadly becoming more senile. I am staggered the dumb bastard has not learned his lesson.

That doesn't change the fact that Tam's gang are involved in organised crime. He fronts for them, so is implicated in everything they do. That is how gangs work.

Do you know the story of Whetu Henry? A Wellington Kiwi rep, and a genuine old fashioned hard bastard, but fair and clean.

The local Mongrel Mob leader was a psycho called Lester Epps. He was so violent he apparently attacked his own father on his death bed. There was a young guy from the Eastern Suburbs league club who Whetu and his mates were mentoring and keeping on track. Epps and the Mongrel Mob were threatening the young guy so he asked for help. Who else was he going to ask?

So Whetu and some guys from the club attacked the gang headquarters and beat the living heyzeuss out of everybody they caught, some took off like scared rabbits when they saw the league boys arrive:eek:.

The story I heard was that Whetu Henry broke every bone in Lester Epps body. Of course the fecker died, how sad, so sorry, never mind. :rolleyes:

Whetu was convicted of manslaughter I think and sent to prison. He was a genuine tough bastard so he would have been ok inside.

I think Harry Tam was in the Wellington Mongrel Mob then. He is no hero, he is just a prick. Whetu Henry is a hero.

Just saying like.

wizards rage

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
‘In September, Woods said the Government had sought further policy advice on build-to-rent.

Woods said she had asked the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development for advice on "issues" to do with build-to-rent.’

Labour don’t get it… you’ve shafted landlords, change rules with no consultation, retrospectively introduce negative compliance, made the rules extremely complex and displayed a willingness to interfere randomly on ideology. The number 1 thing investors need is certainty. Labour is scary, and unpredictable for property investors.

They just don’t get it - you have made the people that offer the solutions your enemy.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
We have mentioned on here about various reporters or analysts predicting house prices falling or the economy collapsing. When they are wrong they typically don't mention their previous prediction and next time an event that disrupts the economy the predict it again. I think the same has been happening for inflation.

Check out this guy. He acknowledges his previous article from 10 years ago, that is dedication. Wrong for 10 years but I was actually right. :rolleyes:

My first column predicting inflation was published one decade and one day ago. Despite my certainty, the anticipated inflation consistently refused to arrive. My failure to be vindicated year after year began to force me to consider, in those quiet moments we all have, the possibility I was wrong.

It is with some hubris that I think of myself as a Cassandra figure, cursed to be making accurate predictions but never believed. The reality was that my forecasts were being confidently rejected by the market because they were widely, and accurately, perceived to be rubbish.

Apparently its a curse that he right but it takes a long time. A pity its raining today good thing on Wednesday it will be sunny 30 degress without a cloud in the sky. Sorry not going to tell you what Wednesday.

The people who do the forecasting for a living and have tools to use compared to his just browse a couple of stats and make a prediction don't have this special curse.

The boffins at the Reserve Bank are no better at forecasting than I am. They suffer from a negative-Cassandra curse, always believed and never accurate. Unlike me, they never suffer insecurity over their repeated failures.

Reactions: Worried2Death

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
We have mentioned on here about various reporters or analysts predicting house prices falling or the economy collapsing. When they are wrong they typically don't mention their previous prediction and next time an event that disrupts the economy the predict it again. I think the same has been happening for inflation.

Check out this guy. He acknowledges his previous article from 10 years ago, that is dedication. Wrong for 10 years but I was actually right. :rolleyes:

My first column predicting inflation was published one decade and one day ago. Despite my certainty, the anticipated inflation consistently refused to arrive. My failure to be vindicated year after year began to force me to consider, in those quiet moments we all have, the possibility I was wrong.

It is with some hubris that I think of myself as a Cassandra figure, cursed to be making accurate predictions but never believed. The reality was that my forecasts were being confidently rejected by the market because they were widely, and accurately, perceived to be rubbish.

Apparently its a curse that he right but it takes a long time. A pity its raining today good thing on Wednesday it will be sunny 30 degress without a cloud in the sky. Sorry not going to tell you what Wednesday.

The people who do the forecasting for a living and have tools to use compared to his just browse a couple of stats and make a prediction don't have this special curse.

The boffins at the Reserve Bank are no better at forecasting than I am. They suffer from a negative-Cassandra curse, always believed and never accurate. Unlike me, they never suffer insecurity over their repeated failures.

Bit like the old weather forecast"Not a cloud in the sky in some places".
Fact is 90% of financial predictions are wrong.

Reactions: Noitall and snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Bit like the old weather forecast"Not a cloud in the sky in some places".
Fact is 90% of financial predictions are wrong.
He's predicted inflation will go up and according to his standards a 10 year window is acceptable.

Well my economics isn't the greatest my teacher used to start every single lesson or topic with the 1970s oil crisis. But I am happy to predict inflation will go down. Hey I think I'm pretty safe as it should over 10 years.

Think it would of been better to keep his mouth shut instead of bringing up a decade earlier.

Dixpat

All in the Brown stuff!
Contributor
Feb 3, 2014
Auckland
Saw a letter to the editor over the wekend

If The Leader of the Opposition finds the Governments Road to Recovery strategy as announced on Friday "extraordinarily confusing" then she doesn't have the intelligence to lead the country

wizards rage

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Saw a letter to the editor over the wekend

If The Leader of the Opposition finds the Governments Road to Recovery strategy as announced on Friday "extraordinarily confusing" then she doesn't have the intelligence to lead the country
She was talking from lay peoples point of view. I agree.

Can you tell me when we will get to 90%?
Will I be able to travel to Auckland for Christmas?
When Auckland goes to red light, when will the border open up?
Will we go to stage 3 level 2 and 3 or is that all gone and we’re only in level 3 stage 1 until the traffic lights?
There is the glaring situation about MIQ when Covid is already in the community - when does it tie into the traffic lights?
Can you clarify how passports will work in practice
Clarification today only came out about mandating vaccinations…
Why have the traffic lights when we will still have lockdowns on top?
How is the traffic lights different to the levels except for vacinated?
What about people vaccinated overseas? Are they recognised as vaccinated for passports? Can they Od with 4 doses?

It’s extraordinarily confusing, especially only a few weeks after they came out with the extra stages of level 3.