General New to league, NRL and the Warriors

Iafeta_old

Awesome stuff dane.... Can I make another NZ team recommendation? The Wellington Phoenix.

Must say, I went to the Emirates Stadium earlier this year, Arsenal/Newcastle, hottest atmosphere ever. I'm a mad football fan after that.

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask any questions on footy and enjoy the roller coaster ride that is the Warriors.

Jesbass_old

Awesome stuff dane.... Can I make another NZ team recommendation? The Wellington Phoenix.

Must say, I went to the Emirates Stadium earlier this year, Arsenal/Newcastle, hottest atmosphere ever. I'm a mad football fan after that.

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask any questions on footy and enjoy the roller coaster ride that is the Warriors.

Mate, it's on a much smaller scale, but one of Dad's old friends is a season ticket holder at Colchester United and we're arranging our timetable to pass through on the weekend of a home match. Should be great fun. It'll be great to see the team my Dad supported as a kid, even though, unfortunately, it'll be the first year at a different stadium.

JonB_old

Yep, never heard that joke before... (the truth is that you can't actually get a proper Danish pastry outside Denmark - trust me, even the Kiwis who's been to Denmark agree - probably the same as having a Hokey Pokey wannabe icecream in Denmark - it's just not the same).
I'm in Blenheim at the moment, but from 23rd July - 11th August, I'll be in Milford on the North Shore. Then Europe for a few weeks before Melbourne.
And thanks for the nice words. Trust me, us Danes loves the Kiwis too! Down to earth, friendly and laid back people. No arse kissing here, just the plain truth.
Only one thing to complain about: You've got way too many thin and tasteless 4% beers (Tui, Speights, Mac's, Export, Lion Red etc.).
But I'm a big big fan of Emerson and other similar NZ micro breweries.

Hey man my brother has stacks of that stuff, because he makes it. I get heaps for free. But I don't drink, kind of ironic, if you are ever passing through Christchurch give me a PM and might be able to drop you off a box of it.

Skinny_Ravs82

It's called football. ;) It's the only football code that is actually based around the ball being at a player's feet! :lol1:

yes it is, under the term, 'football' but come on, hardly an attractive game! (well I find it is.) I have tried watching a few but I just end up irritated and change the channel

danepak_old

Oh yes, the Phoenix.
I do indeed follow them and actually went to their first ever A-League game in the cake tin (against Melbourne Victory) last year.
I had to leave with 15 mins to go. They were down 2-0, but when I arrived in the airport (to catch the pathetically small Sounds Air plane to Blenheim), I saw that it finished 2-2 and they even hit the woodwork in the last minute.
Pretty bad timing for me, eh?
Will definitely be at the Telstra Dome next season when they play Melbourne Victory.

danepak_old

Hey man my brother has stacks of that stuff, because he makes it. I get heaps for free. But I don't drink, kind of ironic, if you are ever passing through Christchurch give me a PM and might be able to drop you off a box of it.
Mate, would have loved that! Thanks for the offer, but we're leaving Blenheim on 21st July and driving up to Auckland for 3 weeks before heading to Europe for a few weeks. And then we're off to Melbourne to live.
But I'll be back on the south island at some stage (as a tourist) and might take you up on that offer.
Cheers!

Skinny_Ravs82

You ought to like Telstra Dome, its a nice stadium bar the long walk to get from end to the other, the three level car park and findind the team dressing rooms as well. But it is a great stadium to watch any game out. MCG is nice too..not a fan of Olympic Park...but its easy to meet players after the games.

a.c.e_old

Also, when we get a penalty, Lance Hohaia often only kicks it up 30 or 40 meters. Why not further?

Have several options at the end of your set in theory. If the ball is kicked out and in the oppositions 20m, by the end of your set, you'd have few options to play with as your very close or near the try line vs say if your set ended on/near the oppositions 20m you'd have a few more options available to you. IMO.

When you watch union, you see Dan Carter kick it way further up the field, before it crosses the sideline.

Hummm, might be the case still as I haven't got hold of any official rugby or league ball lately, but the rugby ball has more flight in it while the league ball is heavier in contrast. They look the same but feel different, and when kicked/passed have different kinda out comes. Now I'm talking about balls way back late 90's and how I came across them at the time. Watching teams play on the tv kinda leads me to think nothings changed.

danepak_old

Hummm, might be the case still as I haven't got hold of any official rugby or league ball lately, but the rugby ball has more flight in it while the league ball is heavier in contrast. They look the same but feel different, and when kicked/passed have different kinda out comes. Now I'm talking about balls way back late 90's and how I came across them at the time. Watching teams play on the tv kinda leads me to think nothings changed.

Ok, I've always thought the balls were identical, apart from the brand (Gilbert/Steeden).

Skinny_Ravs82

I don't own a union ball but I do have a league one (grand final memorobillia ball that is) and it is a little heavier, for me anyway it s a little harder to control sometimes but I'm not an expert! hehe

2big2strong_old

The Warriors are launching an overseas membership in the next month or so, I believe, with cheaper match tickets and the chance to see the players, although the latter is more likely to happen in Sydney (where most NRL clubs are based) than in Melbourne.

Man, I've been screaming for that for years, Awesome initiative. Although it seems the Warriors have stopped playing in Brisbane (haven't played here since 2006) with the only qld game being played at skilled park. It's a real shame because there are tens of thousands of vocal Kiwi's in Brisbane and if we want to see the warriors we gotta plan a trip down the coast. Feel ripped off really because Sydney Kiwi's get a game every two weeks. bullshit.

I'd suggest to the warriors (if they'd listen) to get a game to Suncorp, it's the best stadium in World Rugby League and they don't play there. Move a home game there if need be, the bulldogs do.

a.c.e_old

Ok, I've always thought the balls were identical, apart from the brand (Gilbert/Steeden).

The All Blacks play with (not too sure if they still play test rugby with them or train with them) Adidas rugby balls, the first version the put out had a lemon color to it and was exactly that, a frigging lemon that had to be redesigned because it was just terrible.