General New to league, NRL and the Warriors

danepak_old

Hey!
New to rugby league, the NRL and the Warriors.
Only really started following them this season (although I did catch the final few games last season).
Originally from Denmark, ended up in Blenheim via London (where I met wifey who's from the North Shore).
I knew what rugby league was before I moved down here, but never watched it (league is only popular up in north England, and absolutely no one has a clue about what it is in Denmark).
I love rugby league and I love watching the Warriors, although I get fairly stressed (way too much "edge on the seat" stuff). And they can be pretty frustrating to watch too.
But I still love watching them and they're my team now.
As I tell my friends back in the UK. They're my Charlton Athletic in New Zealand. At times useless and frustrating. Other times sheer genius.
I've only been able to watch them live once (in May against Roosters at Mt. Smart).
Going up to Auckland again in a few weeks time and staying there for three weeks. If they're still in it for a playoff chance, I'm definitely going to watch the Storms and Broncos games.
As I mentioned, I'm still very very new to rugby league, and I'm not 100% up there with all the rules (yet). So I'm sorry, if the questions seems pathetic.
When a team loses the ball, and the other team gains possession and then gets tackled, sometimes it's tackle zero, other times tackle 1. I'm a bit confused there.
Also, when we get a penalty, Lance Hohaia often only kicks it up 30 or 40 meters. Why not further? When you watch union, you see Dan Carter kick it way further up the field, before it crosses the sideline.
And finally, on the 4th or 5th tackle, if we're up around the try zone, and Lance kicks it up in the air and towards their try zone - what happens if it goes between the posts (unintentionally)? Do we still only get the 1 point, even if we score a try?
Do Warriors fans meet up in certain pubs before the games? I'm used to this, when I followed Charlton Athletic, during my 8 years in London.
Are there any Warriors supporters clubs in Melbourne? Moving there in September.
Looking forward to following those unpredictable Warriors for the rest of my life. :dance:

Last edited by a moderator:

warrior_girl81_old

hey, glad to see you support the best team in the world...welcome to the club!! as for the questions regarding the rules...ill leave them for someone else.
GO WARRIORS!!

WarriorDog_old

Welcome aboard mate.
We won't hold be a Charlton fan against you.
Go Liverpool :)

danepak_old

Well, it was natural for me to support Charlton, as I lived in south east London and wanted to support the local team.
Mind you, it was a lot more fun back then. Life in the championship, playing teams like Plymouth and Barnsley, isn't as much fun.
And I doubt we'll be back in the Prem in the near future.

Skinny_Ravs82

Welcome along to the forum danepak good to have you on board. Hope ya enjoy posting on the forum when you get the chance, and glad to see you're enjoying NZ so far. Broncos v Storm match should be good no doubt.

Once again welcome!

Jesbass_old

G'day, danepak. Welcome to the greatest game in the world, and the greatest (and most infuriating) team in the game! ;)

Does this make you a Viking Warrior? :D

For your questions...

When a team loses the ball, and the other team gains possession and then gets tackled, sometimes it's tackle zero, other times tackle 1. I'm a bit confused there.

It depends on a couple of things. Firstly, if the other team hasn't made an error, (such as knocking it on), but we have simply intercepted a pass or stripped the ball, it's always tackle 1. If, however, we got the ball as a result of an error, the referee has to consider whether or not we have gained enough 'advantage' to warrant a start on tackle 1. If he feels we didn't have enough advantage, (such as the player getting tackled as soon as he got the loose ball), he grants us an additional tackle - tackle 0. This is to ensure that the team that committed the error is disadvantaged in some way, either by us gaining a bit of ground with the new ball, or by having to defend an additional tackle in the set. What equates to advantage is subjective and up to the individual referee.

Also, when we get a penalty, Lance Hohaia often only kicks it up 30 or 40 meters. Why not further? When you watch union, you see Dan Carter kick it way further up the field, before it crosses the sideline.

That's a question of the ages, mate. The only thing I can suggest is that players are wary that kicking too long may mean the opposition catches it before it reaches the sideline, at which point they'd start their own set. You may even see a team kick it away from the opposition when close to the try line, in order to create some more space for attacking momentum. There is no rule limiting the distance of a penalty kick for the sideline.

And finally, on the 4th or 5th tackle, if we're up around the try zone, and Lance kicks it up in the air and towards their try zone - what happens if it goes between the posts (unintentionally)? Do we still only get the 1 point, even if we score a try?

In a word, no. The single point only comes from a 'drop kick', which is when the player intentionally drops the ball onto the ground on its end and kicks it as it bounces back up. If it's a regular attacking kick, (and thus doesn't touch the ground before being kicked), the single point doesn't apply.

Do Warriors fans meet up in certain pubs before the games? I'm used to this, when I followed Charlton Athletic, during my 8 years in London.

Not that I'm aware of, but I'm sure it could be organised as a fan initiative. Either way, I'd be happy to meet you at the game and help you out with rules and so forth. :)

Are there any Warriors supporters clubs in Melbourne? Moving there in September.

Not yet. Two forum members here are Melbourne based: IanS and Skinny_Ravs82. The Warriors are launching an overseas membership in the next month or so, I believe, with cheaper match tickets and the chance to see the players, although the latter is more likely to happen in Sydney (where most NRL clubs are based) than in Melbourne.

Looking forward to following those unpredictable Warriors for the rest of my life.

Great to have another passionate fan on board, and especially a new import. It really is a great, great game. :)

danepak_old

G'day, danepak. Welcome to the greatest game in the world, and the greatest (and most infuriating) team in the game! ;)

Does this make you a Viking Warrior? :D

For your questions...

It depends on a couple of things. Firstly, if the other team hasn't made an error, (such as knocking it on), but we have simply intercepted a pass or stripped the ball, it's always tackle 1. If, however, we got the ball as a result of an error, the referee has to consider whether or not we have gained enough 'advantage' to warrant a start on tackle 1. If he feels we didn't have enough advantage, (such as the player getting tackled as soon as he got the loose ball), he grants us an additional tackle - tackle 0. This is to ensure that the team that committed the error is disadvantaged in some way, either by us gaining a bit of ground with the new ball, or by having to defend an additional tackle in the set. What equates to advantage is subjective and up to the individual referee.

That's a question of the ages, mate. The only thing I can suggest is that players are wary that kicking too long may mean the opposition catches it before it reaches the sideline, at which point they'd start their own set. You may even see a team kick it away from the opposition when close to the try line, in order to create some more space for attacking momentum. There is no rule limiting the distance of a penalty kick for the sideline.

In a word, no. The single point only comes from a 'drop kick', which is when the player intentionally drops the ball onto the ground on its end and kicks it as it bounces back up. If it's a regular attacking kick, (and thus doesn't touch the ground before being kicked), the single point doesn't apply.

Not that I'm aware of, but I'm sure it could be organised as a fan initiative. Either way, I'd be happy to meet you at the game and help you out with rules and so forth. :)

Not yet. Two forum members here are Melbourne based: IanS and Skinny_Ravs82. The Warriors are launching an overseas membership in the next month or so, I believe, with cheaper match tickets and the chance to see the players, although the latter is more likely to happen in Sydney (where most NRL clubs are based) than in Melbourne.

Great to have another passionate fan on board, and especially a new import. It really is a great, great game. :)

Thanks for your replies.
You just made a couple of things clear for me, so I've got even fewer questions, next time I'm watching a game.
I'll try to get in touch with the Melbourne based fans, but probably not before next seasons start.
Ok, I wasn't sure about the drinking culture around the games.
When I went to watch Wellington Phoenix last year, heaps of fans did indeed meet up in a pub before the game.
But if this isn't part of rugby league/The Warriors, I'm sure I can survive anyway, haha.

Thanks again and thanks for all the welcome posts from other members.

JonB_old

good team selection man, whatever happens in Melbourne don't ever convert to the Storm. They suck. Rubbish.

Northern_Union

Yeah why on earth would you want to support a team that wins more offen than it loses :D

Welcome aboard, glad you chose a good league team to follow.....you didn't go to well in choosing Charlton when the smart choice was to support Chelsea :D

Skinny_Ravs82

good team selection man, whatever happens in Melbourne don't ever convert to the Storm. They suck. Rubbish.

Calling me a traitor are you? ;) I don't particuarly like the Storm, and their irritating fan base, but it's a different vibe being at the ground then watching it on TV, which I do the Warriors, bar once a year. Unlike some lucky people on here :(

JonB_old

Calling me a traitor are you? ;) I don't particuarly like the Storm, and their irritating fan base, but it's a different vibe being at the ground then watching it on TV, which I do the Warriors, bar once a year. Unlike some lucky people on here :(

Pretty much.
Nah course not, you have not converted to the purple brigade.
I do not get home games at all. I have only been to one home game, ever.....

Skinny_Ravs82

Haha thanks man. I don't think I could ever join that purple reign. It wouldn't feel right!

danepak_old

Nah, would never change team. You choose a team and you stick with it.
Besides, my wife is Kiwi and I love the idea of The Warriors being the only NZ team in the NRL.
I would hate to see another NZ team enter the competition.

And the Warriors actually reminds me of the other teams I support in football (soccer):
Charlton Athletic
Odense (my local Danish club)
Denmark
Wellington Phoenix (to an extend, as I'm forced to get into the A-League)
They all lose more than they win. But then again, you appreciate a win a lot more.
That's why it was hard for me to get excited about the Crusaders. Everyone in Blenheim supports them, and yes, I wanted them to win too. But they were always the favourites, so I just didn't get too excited.
I went to the local boozer to watch the Super 14 final. But it was more important for me to watch the Knights - Warriors game afterwards and the win meant much more to me than the Super 14 trophy.

And I've realised that I have to find an AFL team to support (although I reckon they score too many points - a bit like basketball on a big field. But then again, if I don't support an AFL team, I would probably miss out on a lot of the conversations in the pubs over there).

Last edited by a moderator:

danepak_old

Yeah why on earth would you want to support a team that wins more offen than it loses :D

you didn't go to well in choosing Charlton when the smart choice was to support Chelsea :D

Would seem strange for me to support a team from West London, when I lived in South East London.
But I do like your stadium. Always nice to visit Stamford Bridge.
But yes, we're going through hard times at the moment. I was there, when we kicked you out of the Carling Cup at Stamford Bridge.
Those memories are very distant now.

Skinny_Ravs82

Nah, would never change team. You choose a team and you stick with it.
Besides, my wife is Kiwi and I love the idea of The Warriors being the only NZ team in the NRL.
I would hate to see another NZ team enter the competition.

And the Warriors actually reminds me of the other teams I support in football (soccer):
Charlton Athletic
Odense (my local Danish club)
Denmark
Wellington Phoenix (to an extend, as I'm forced to get into the A-League)
They all lose more than they win. But then again, you appreciate a win a lot more.
That's why it was hard for me to get excited about the Crusaders. Everyone in Blenheim supports them, and yes, I wanted them to win too. But they were always the favourites, so I just didn't get too excited.
I went to the local boozer to watch the Super 14 final. But it was more important for me to watch the Knights - Warriors game afterwards and the win meant much more to me than the Super 14 trophy.

And I've realised that I have to find an AFL team to support (although I reckon they score too many points - a bit like basketball on a big field. But then again, if I don't support an AFL team, I would probably miss out on a lot of the conversations in the pubs over there).

NO! Avoid AFL at all costs! It is the evil football code! Don't never follow it. Resist the urge. I'ved lived in Sydney and now Melbourne and I've managed to keep my distance from it.

danepak_old

NO! Avoid AFL at all costs! It is the evil football code! Don't never follow it. Resist the urge. I'ved lived in Sydney and now Melbourne and I've managed to keep my distance from it.
I know where you're coming from, but I'm afraid I haven't got a choice.
I love sports, and it would be a problem for me not to be able to discuss it. Also, I would be pretty bored, as it's (as you know) a massive sport in Melbourne.