General New Halfback - Stacey Jones!

Jesbass_old

https://news.nzcity.co.nz/news/getnews.asp?article=1386330

That has taken some of the gloss off the announcement for me.

It hasn't for me. I'd rather that money was spent on getting Stacey Jones to the club than not spent on anyone and just gaining interest in the bank but doing nothing for us on the field.

Also, as far as I know, Jones is still the Warriors kicking coach, so how much of that salary is solely for his playing services is anyone's guess.

Iafeta_old

It hasn't for me. I'd rather that money was spent on getting Stacey Jones to the club than not spent on anyone and just gaining interest in the bank but doing nothing for us on the field.

Also, as far as I know, Jones is still the Warriors kicking coach, so how much of that salary is solely for his playing services is anyone's guess.

Can he actually share a role though? It would be open to salary cap rorting if you could - I mean, I would pay Stacey $250,000 to be a """""kicking coach""""" and then $70,000 as an NRL player... just like I'd pay Steve Price $300,000 to be a """"managerial consultant"""" and then $60,000 if he'd throw on the boots and have a bit of a run around in first grade.

garyhobson_old

Warriors signing Stacey Jones for 1 season is a bad idea. I know hes a legend in NZ Rugby League and he'll always be a legend no matter what. I respect him, hes a good player and was an awesome halfback for the kiwis and the warriors for over a decade. One of my favourites. But his time is over, well over, we're not talking about Darren Lockyer or Andrew Johns here, he's not in that class.

You just can't jump back into the nrl after a year out of the game, 2 years in playing in the uksl a low standard comp, and expect to handle first grade football, and if he is up to it, it will take him atleast 1 season to get back to standard. He's only signed for 1 season.

The old saying, form is temporary, class is permanent, thats rubbish, Stacey Jones is 32 now, 33 next season. People dont remember that his last 2 seasons at the Warriors were poor to average, he had some good games, but even back then you could tell he was just going through the emotions, coming to an end of a long nrl career. Lacked passion, was slow, hardly took the line on, didnt have that acceleration and speed off the mark. Sure you could blame the coach at the time, Tony Kemp was a shit coach, but Stacey Jones was the halfback and that 2005 team was pretty decent on paper. He could have done a lot more.

https://www.stuff.co.nz//4755162a1823.html

If this article is correct, about how much he's getting, I think its a joke. That money could go towards a good nrl player, even a marque halfback/five eight, if we also free up more money by releasing Grant Rovelli and Michael Witt too.

Personally I dont think he'll play half the games next season.

Liam Foran, Joel Moon, Isaac John, Daniel O'Regan, they need time to develope into nrl first graders, they wont get that chance if they arent given a go. Its time the Warriors just move on. Wheather or not Stacey works out, if he does or if he doesnt, its still a bad idea. Warriors need to move forward into the future. What benifit is there signing Stacey Jones for just 1 season, especially for that amount of money?

Last edited by a moderator:

daj3_old

I doubt you'll see him play much... unless he's so amazing that it makes no sense not to sign him on for another year.

We don't need a classy/flashy player... look at our back line! Then we've got Fai and Matulino coming through, plus possibly one of the best packs in the NRL... we just need someone who's not afraid to tell Steve Price where he needs to be... and someone who has the presence of mind to know where to put the ball on the 5th tackle. I can't help but think of Jason Smith... by no means the most fit player in the NRL but he's smart enough to apply his fitness and effort where it is needed. The game seems to slow down around him, it's because he knows where to catch the ball to give himself time, and he knows what he has to do... so regardless of how slow he is he gets the job done. We've got young halves chewing at the bit... let them do the flashy stuff and hard work out of 5/8... Jones can do the thinking.

garyhobson_old

The Warriors for example could make a play for Cameron Smith, Cam demands about 500k maybe 600k. With the money they bought Stacey Jones, Grant Rovelli, Michael Witt, they could easily put a competitive offer on the table for Cameron Smith.

Jesbass_old

Can he actually share a role though? It would be open to salary cap rorting if you could - I mean, I would pay Stacey $250,000 to be a """""kicking coach""""" and then $70,000 as an NRL player... just like I'd pay Steve Price $300,000 to be a """"managerial consultant"""" and then $60,000 if he'd throw on the boots and have a bit of a run around in first grade.

To be honest, I don't know, but I think you might be right. Even so, that money was going nowhere else in 2009, so to me it isn't an issue. If he'd been signed for more than a year, then his salary would come into play. But we still don't know how much he was already getting paid by the club for the coaching role, so even though it's reportedly an extra $220k from the salary cap, it might only be (for example) an extra $150k from the club - and I think $150k is probably what Jones is worth as a player, anyway.

aussie_warrior_old

Sounds good as long as the Warriors are the only team allowed to do it...

garyhobson_old

I doubt you'll see him play much... unless he's so amazing that it makes no sense not to sign him on for another year.

We don't need a classy/flashy player... look at our back line! Then we've got Fai and Matulino coming through, plus possibly one of the best packs in the NRL... we just need someone who's not afraid to tell Steve Price where he needs to be... and someone who has the presence of mind to know where to put the ball on the 5th tackle. I can't help but think of Jason Smith... by no means the most fit player in the NRL but he's smart enough to apply his fitness and effort where it is needed. The game seems to slow down around him, it's because he knows where to catch the ball to give himself time, and he knows what he has to do... so regardless of how slow he is he gets the job done. We've got young halves chewing at the bit... let them do the flashy stuff and hard work out of 5/8... Jones can do the thinking.

He had Todd Carney playing alongside him.

WarriorTragic_old

Definitely a good move from a variety of angles.
Firstly, what have they got to lose? Some have mentioned that he will be stopping the development of young players? The only way he will stop there development is if he is good enough to get the starting position all year. Now if he is able to do that and beat out all the others vying for the halfback position, how is this possibly bad for the team? Ivans not just going to hand the position to him. It will show he is in form.
It will also provide competition for the other halves coming through. It will be great for them to have that leadership from a player of such stature who has been there done that.
As mentioned by nearly everyone, he is not going to be in his peak playing prime obviously. But the example of Jason Smith is a good one, as stacey will be able to read the game than any of the other halves we have available - no doubt about that one. This was what we lacked last season, the vision and execution for our outside backs to be put to use.
About the pay packet, personally I think its totally fine. Also remember that it is what is being reported - definitely doesnt mean its correct and it might be way off the mark. Plus think about Staceys value from a marketing perspective - he is one of the biggest legends in NZ league and is probably alongside Wiki as the most recognisable NZ league player, so a) the pressure on him will be immense, but 2) he is a great public figure which will put more bums on seats.

I cant really see any downsides to this. Another member mentioned that we shouldve saved the money and gone after another marquee halfback - well there isnt any available. Also if we went after Cameron Smith as mentioned, we would a) pay more money, b) definitely block the other youngsters from coming through as he is younger than Stacey, c) wouldnt have the same connection with Kiwi viewers/fans.

So soak it up, and get behind the boys and the club. This is a great decision on behalf of the club. Put some trust (and faith) in Ivan and the warriors staff, as they continue to prove many doubters wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

garyhobson_old

Firstly, what have they got to lose? Some have mentioned that he will be stopping the development of young players? The only way he will stop there development is if he is good enough to get the starting position all year. Now if he is able to do that and beat out all the others vying for the halfback position, how is this possibly bad for the team? Ivans not just going to hand the position to him. It will show he is in form.
It will also provide competition for the other halves coming through. It will be great for them to have that leadership from a player of such stature who has been there done that.
As mentioned by nearly everyone, he is not going to be in his peak playing prime obviously. But the example of Jason Smith is a good one, as stacey will be able to read the game than any of the other halves we have available - no doubt about that one. This was what we lacked last season, the vision and execution for our outside backs to be put to use.
About the pay packet, personally I think its totally fine. Also remember that it is what is being reported - definitely doesnt mean its correct and it might be way off the mark. Plus think about Staceys value from a marketing perspective - he is one of the biggest legends in NZ league and is probably alongside Wiki as the most recognisable NZ league player, so a) the pressure on him will be immense, but 2) he is a great public figure which will put more bums on seats.

I cant really see any downsides to this. Another member mentioned that we shouldve saved the money and gone after another marquee halfback - well there isnt any available. Also if we went after Cameron Smith as mentioned, we would a) pay more money, b) definitely block the other youngsters from coming through as he is younger than Stacey, c) wouldnt have the same connection with Kiwi viewers/fans.

So soak it up, and get behind the boys and the club. This is a great decision on behalf of the club. Put some trust (and faith) in Ivan and the warriors staff, as they continue to prove many doubters wrong.

The Warriors could afford Cameron Smith, they just need to stop buying unneccessary players. Jacob Lillyman is one example of this, when you have already got Michael Luck, Scott Jones, Elijah Taylor and you letting go 2 juniors Eddie Purcell and Steve Rapira. Also those other guys such as your Ryan Shortland and Michael Crockett's.

Jason Smith was injuried a lot that season, but it didnt matter because they still had Todd Carney. Different team, different set up.

Jesbass_old

Excellent post. I don't think I've had the opportunity to say hello just yet, so welcome to the forum. Make yourself at home. :thumb:

Esoj_old

The development of both foran and John will improve a lot with Jones having a more hands on role than just being the kicking coach. Let's face it they are going to learn more next year from Jones than they will in a lifetime from rovelli on how to play halfback etc.

garyhobson_old

The development of both foran and John will improve a lot with Jones having a more hands on role than just being the kicking coach. Let's face it they are going to learn more next year from Jones than they will in a lifetime from rovelli on how to play halfback etc.

Yeah im sure they will learn a lot from Stacey Jones holding their hand along the way. Liam Foran and Isaac John may not even play a game next year for the Warriors with the backlog of five eight/halfbacks we have. The likely combination at this stage looks like Stacey Jones halfback and Nathan Fien five eight, which it was back in 2005, and we all know how successful that season was.

daj3_old

Jason Smith was injuried a lot that season, but it didnt matter because they still had Todd Carney. Different team, different set up.

I was more talking about his season with the Cowboys last year... granted he was playing outside Thurston, but he did play most of the season. And whether or not Thurston or Carney made him look good at times is besides the point. He's a grown man, not a grub, JT or Carney couldn't have been there every single play to hold help granddad smith cross the street. He had an awesome ability to get himself in the appropriate position so he'd have all the time in the world to take the appropriate action. He didn't stun the opposition with razzle dazzle... just got the job done. I suspect Jones will be the same next year, although I'll bet he still has a few tricks up his sleeve.

Esoj_old

Yeah im sure they will learn a lot from Stacey Jones holding their hand along the way. Liam Foran and Isaac John may not even play a game next year for the Warriors with the backlog of five eight/halfbacks we have. The likely combination at this stage looks like Stacey Jones halfback and Nathan Fien five eight, which it was back in 2005, and we all know how successful that season was.

I think it more likely witt and fien would continue on or rovelli returns to halfback before we see fien and jones in the halves together again. I think it would be one or the other in the 7 but never both in the halves together. Foran and John were never certainties to start next year anyway Jones doesn't change that except now if they do take the field they should know a lot more on how a halfback is meant to play.

Warrioraholic_old

Stacey wants to play, we owe it to him to let him have a crack, Ivan and Stacey will know if he can fit it or not. Wade had a season off pretty much and hes still got it. Give the guy and the club a break people

Warrioraholic_old

Just thought about the $ factor, I know I wont be driving up from Palmerston North every weekend to watch Rovelli play, but I beat you Stacey Jones will get people through those gates, great move by the club to cash in on thier long term investment the old general