General New Halfback - Stacey Jones!

MiXmasterreece_old

I've seen you get frustrated time and time again when forum members get frustrated at poor signings. You've said so many times that you're angered that people want the best, when they should be willing to accept the scraps from the table. Now that we've signed the WGHB, (an unabashedly biased and sentimental claim), and certainly the best Warrior of all time, we're celebrating, and you're angry about it! :violin:

1. How is Jones' signing ultimately bad for the Warriors and a step backwards?
2. How is having added depth a bad thing?
3. How is providing the halves of tomorrow hands on experience alongside a legend of the game a bad thing?
4. What are the negatives about having added competition for positions, and more injury cover?
5. How is it that our support of having Jones back in the fold is being interpreted as misguided fan-boy fervour, as opposed to genuine optimism?
6. Would you prefer that we had yesterday's squad, without Jones, essentially saying the he is worse than nothing? If so, on what do you base that view?

Game. Set. Match.

MiXmasterreece_old

He was the 'then' and really not the 'now' and it's a shame if there are those who can't see that

Yip and rovelli was 'then' and not 'now'.

Difference is Jones has class, and that's permanent. And if he doesnt play well, our season doesnt hinge on it, hes not on big bucks, and im sure he'd be the first to step out of the way if someone like Foran is looking the goods.

Your whinge about him being to old his blind hypocrasy when you've been harping on that foran and moon are untested and inexperienced. Where was your agreeance then, when we were saying that the club was looking to the future? Nope, you were against it, saying we had to think about 'today' and not 'tomorrow'.

Joe 90_old

Welcome back Monkey boy! At last, we've got someone who knows how to point his finger, and tell his forwards to "go thataway!"

Stace for PM!

daj3_old

I reckon witt should start 2009 alongside stacey, just to make sure the ol' boy is still up to it, with Fein on the bench... or I suppose Hohaia... if Stacey has the unlikely shocker, then Hohaia's not gonna be any worse and the game would have gone by that point anyway.

Then as long as Stacey's playing well, bring in Moon... try a few different combos... this will be all good.

commonsense_old

im waiting for ashton kutcher to come out and say uve been punk'd!

this is hectic!

KeepingTheFaith_old

Some interesting reactions, and some not so surprising ones as well. Suppose it's time for me to have my say.

I don't see anything but positives with this move. We're not sacrificing anything by adding Jones to the squad and his presence and experience alone can only help develop the younger guys that we have on the roster, and no matter how long it feels like Vatuvei, Ropati, Mannering, Rapira etc have been around, they're still fairly young and inexperienced.

As for Stacey on the field. The biggest thing the Warriors have lacked with their halfbacks over the last couple of years is class/mental strength. Take a look at Rovelli, physically he's gifted with speed, agility, surprisingly strong and hard to tackle, but his option taking and execution are second rate. Same with Witt, and for the most part Fien.

When our backline consists of Kemp, Vatuvei, McKinnon, Tate, Ropati, a dominant Stacey Jones of 2002 isn't what's required. What the Warriors need is someone who will TAKE THE RIGHT OPTIONS. He's smart enough to use his decoys properly and create space on the outside, as well as getting guys like Mannering, Matulino, and Fai in one on one situations rather than the gang tackling they faced this year on numerous occasions.

The Warriors need a smart/classy half, something that Stacey will always be. Whether it pays off or not, guys like Moon and Foran can only benefit from watching someone with class in action first hand.

jahc_old

Stacey played 10 minutes of the first half for the All Golds, and they pulled him off because players were getting outside him easily. I hope pre-season training can rectify that. -- I dont know if its a fitness issue or not, but hopefully some of the other more knowledgeable members can fill in the blanks for me.

Esoj_old

well a full off season of training will certainly do him a lot of good compared to where he was at for the all golds match. he's not completely out of shape but he probably wouldn't be back to his best either. cleary and co are smart coaches they will find the best place to put stacey in the defensive line just like the broncos protect lockeyer and the tigers marshall the same can be done for jones so that on attack he can cut loose.

Jesbass_old

Stacey played 10 minutes of the first half for the All Golds, and they pulled him off because players were getting outside him easily. I hope pre-season training can rectify that. -- I dont know if its a fitness issue or not, but hopefully some of the other more knowledgeable members can fill in the blanks for me.

I'll take your 10 and raise it to about 25. He came off after 20 minutes in the first half, and then was on for the last few minutes to soak up the the finish.

Yes, it's definitely a fitness issue - class is permanent. The guy still has the instincts and footballing nous to perform admirably at NRL level. Remember that he'd only had about two weeks' worth of training for that match. Add four months, weight training, sand runs, and so on, and he'll get back up to speed.

Northern_Union

My 1 cents worth. Roll on the 0 f***ing 9 season and watch out all the other teams cause we now have everything needed to win the NRL!!!:D

raypower_old

I guess we'll just go back to our Ipod threads if it happens.

2big2strong_old

Stacey who?? Who is this 'Jones' character?????

I'M SO SICK OF THE WARRIORS SIGNING NOBODIES!

(I'm so farkin happy right now)

2big2strong_old

Who does he think he is? Hulk Hogan? He should be having a nap not taking interviews. Get back to the retirement village Jones, your tea is getting cold.

(Sorry Lord for I have sinned, I will not use blasphemy anymore.)

Jesbass_old

Who does he think he is? Hulk Hogan? He should be having a nap not taking interviews. Get back to the retirement village Jones, your tea is getting cold.

(Sorry Lord for I have sinned, I will not use blasphemy anymore.)

Apparently Radio Sport copped a heap of abuse directed at Stacey Jones through text messages following the announcement. Here's a quote from a bloke across the road at LU:
Keep your disbelief mate, it was downright disgusting. I'm usually on Bsport at work most mornings rather than Telfers golf mornings, but this morning I stuck with it waiting for the big warriors announcement which Telfer called 'jawdropping'. And rightly or wrongly it was sure that!
Anyway, at ten the announcement was made- Alan Mac came on for a while, they took a few calls, then Stacey himself came on for a five min interview.
It was after this Telfer let rip about some of the abusive texts that had come in for Stacey-some too abusive to read out, but very much along the lines of telling the guy to **** off, he's useless, was crap back then and worse now...and worse than that as well.
Telfer challenged a few to have the guts to phone in, none of which did of course.

To me, that is absolutely disgraceful in the extreme. You may agree with the Stacey move, you may not...but personally abusing someone who does not deserve it simply becuase your own holier than thou opinion is all that is pathetic. These will be the same ****wits that'll boo their own team members at a ground, and have the audacity to call themselves 'supporters':fish: