General New Halfback - Stacey Jones!

Jesbass_old

Rovelli, Fein and Witt should all start looking for a new club and ask for an early release.

1) McKinnon
6) Moon
7) Jones
9) Henderson
14) Hohaia

All spelt correctly, given the seriousness of the issue.

Fien is already looking elsewhere, and Witt has been rumoured to be looking, without any confirmation. Of the three, I'd rather we kept one or two of those, and lost Rovelli, or switched Rovelli to hooker where he has performed well in the past.

Jesbass_old

All though you have to look forward as a club, you have to look at the bigger picture and that is winning the comp. We are here to win this comp first and foremost, developing players is second for mine and I dont see this as a backwards step at all but more a step in the right direction to holding up that trophy and sporting some finger bling.

Stacey knows we have spent all our money so I reakon he will be pretty much playing for free, well a few lion reds and some sausages of butch.

Remember when we had everuthing covered last year and whamo wade and pricey gone, we look good on paper but injury free will make the difference to a side wanting to beat storm/manly

Never sacrifice the long term for the sake of the short term. Would you prefer to win the Premiership in 2009? Or would you prefer to miss out on the Premiership in 2009, but create a legacy that wins, say, in 2010, 2011, and 2012? (Drawing a long bow, but you get my gist.) I know which one I'd pick.

Warrioraholic_old

Iafeta if only you knew what really happened in 03 at the warriors you would know why the club imploded. Im not going to open a can of worms as some know and some dont and its a very touchy subject and has to do with the man himself.

You dont see winning the comp as an advatage?

Jesbass_old

Skinny, we weren't learning, love. Our halves best assets were midfield bombs and cheap turnovers. They became very good at them.

Stacey is a god amongst men. I've stated my concerns, but overall it's another magic Warriors moment for me.

If someone had have said to me yesterday that Stacey would be playing for us next year, I'd have plucked my pubes out. I honestly couldn't be more surprised if I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet.

I wish someone had told you yesterday! :lol1:

Jesbass_old

Iafeta if only you knew what really happened in 03 at the warriors you would know why the club imploded. Im not going to open a can of worms as some know and some dont and its a very touchy subject and has to do with the man himself.

There are multiple sides to every story. I know what Stacey has to say, what Betham has to say, and what Watson has to say all differ from one another. I suspect Anderson (Daniel) has yet another take on things.

Iafeta_old

Jesbass hit it on the head. You create a long term legacy. You create a culture of continual success.

I don't need you to open a can of worms, but suffice to see short term cultures lead to long term closures. It's empirically proven that businesses who focus only on the short term fail, as do those that focus on the short term at the expense of previously sought out long term gains.

Iafeta_old

Yes, of course psychology is a major aspect, but it was already an aspect. Stacey's signing hasn't made it any more serious. If Foran's psychology wasn't well adjusted, it would have been found out sooner or later, anyway - and almost certainly on the field.

I agree with having the brothers together. I can just imagine Liam's first phone call home after his first match alongside Stacey, excitedly telling all and sundry how great it is to don a jersey with the WGHB. I think such excitement and enthusiasm will be contagious, and hopefully the Warriors are looking longer term to bringing Kieran over if Liam himself is a promising enough success.

When is Kieran off contract at Manly?

I believe Kieran is off contract at the end of next season.

Warrioraholic_old

A long term legacy like the sharks lmao, win the comp, win it now and the rest will fall into place.

Iafeta_old

But half their problem has been their short term focus.

It's only now with Ricky Stuart that are trying to institute a long term culture change at the club.

Warrioraholic_old

Fair enough, but I think its been something crazy like 42yrs and no glory for the sharks, Im just saying that sometimes you have to be a bit sellfish and say that this is our best chance in a long time and we have to take a shot at winning the comp as next year we will have to start building all over again regardless as we lose some players that will have a huge impact once they have gone.
09 has to be one of, if not the strongest looking teams we have ever had.

Esoj_old

I think this is a great move. we have relatively young halves like foran or guys that have limited experience and having stacey there in the side to help them for one year will be incredible for their development. the club tried desperately to find a quality halfback but got turned down. it's great stacey has answered the call to help us out for one year which is perfect. fien is confirmed to be not in the plans beyond 2009 so will go and maybe another either witt or rovelli could possibly follow as well. should have plenty of cash end of next year to try and sign a quality halfback maybe a thurston or whoever else is off contract with the added bonus of foran etc having had a year of learning off jones basically one on one and in live matches.

Skinny_Ravs82

Every season we hear about what should and can make a highly sucessful team, some say your forward pack's got to be ace, your backline has to be of high value and your halves. Put the three packages there and very consistant performances together and you've got the basics of a strong team.

So does experience triumph youth? Yes, it can because nothing beats experience. But experience isn't everything. To get experienced in a game like league you have to get out there; live and play through it and gain those experiences along the way. To do that, you must have the chance to step out of the shawdows of the experienced guys and get thrown in the deep in. Sink or swim, as they say.

Did the Warriors do that? They did in some respects, hunting, scavanging if you will to find some one, anyone that can be that missing piece in the three-piece puzzle. They did go looking and some something and put it to use. Sure it didn't always come off, and that happens. Not every expreiment that've tried has worked wonders but that's what it is all about. You have to get to the best by goiong through the mustard. Not find the best and making that your saviour.

Sure the other NRL clubs have some marketedly outstanding halfbacsk, but they didn't get there by accident. Take Thurston for example. Virutally un-wanted and not considered at the Bulldogs even thou he had the talent but they didn't give him a second look. The Cows came-a-calling and his chance came and he's flourished well but how much immediate success have they had? They are yet to win an NRL grand final even though they've been to the big game before. They've constantly underperformed even with him int he side. What does that tell you? A wonderful player he is but he can't be the Mr. Master "i'll get us out of this' every single game. When he went missing during rep football or was injured, him and matty Bowen what happened with them Cows? Even the Brocnos with Dazza and co still lost games.

It is simple. As wonderfully talented as Stacey is, and as good as he was, that was then, this is the now. The present and we can't just jump on a wing-and prayer that because he's going to play everything is fine, and off we go marching to NRL Grand Final glory. If it happens, great I think we'll all be cheering madly and saying what a master stroke it was.
But until then I'm not too pleased on the idea.

I do firmly believe we are backtracking and hoping this will solve the issue. I've said it so many times about the halback problems I'm sick of repeating it but we can't solve this easily but signing anybody and hoping like hell that is our answer. We will eventually find a very good halfback somewhere down the line, if when, how I don't have a single clue yet. But we will, but to get to him whoever this person might be, it will take time. we re going to have nurutre whoever it is until they are really ready, and not beccause a few disgruntled fans have a piss-take on the Aussie players or that they are desperate to show there is a Cooper Cronk type person lying around and thus destroying them in the process. And I am also not a beliver iwith the thinking of 'going back in time' which I feel is essentaily is what is happening here. Just becasue Stacey's done it before doesn't mean he's going to do it again.

If someone can prove to me that his kicking is actually going to be worth it, and I fail to see how this is going to help becuase he hasa been guilty plenty of times of bad kicks (But I suppose alot of you will fail to see that because of your absolute support of him). What do we gain out if it really? I see only the experience factor which does come in handy but only for so long. Other then that, we are just hindering our chances of really working with the halves we have, as annoying as they are times but they: be it Moon. Foran, Witt ...etc are what we need to be focusing on. Give them their chances, their times and so on. So it didn't always come off, that is part of the process. Chucking, swapping and changing does nothing in their confidence or ours.

Sure depth is very important to every club, but not when you overstock yourselves to such a degree that you end up having more options then you really need.

Some one might argue about Langer and the Queensland come back, that ws once ina life time, and freakish and very special, and Queensland took a massive gamle and luckily it came right.

I am, and I can't stree this point enough before I get my head bitten off by you lot, a fan of Stacey, always have always will be and I love what he's done to the Warriors and our game over the years. However this is not right

I've mentioned it before, if it works. Great I'm all for it, and don't think for one second I don't want this to work out for him or the Warriors, because I do. I really do. It just isn't enough to convince me our problems are over.

MiXmasterreece_old

Every season we hear about what should and can make a highly sucessful team, some say your forward pack's got to be ace, your backline has to be of high value and your halves. Put the three packages there and very consistant performances together and you've got the basics of a strong team.

my god that was insightful.

Let me see... a couple of months ago you were moaning that moon and foran had no experience.... now stacey is too experienced?

flip-flop - I feel a 'The 2 Skinnys' ad coming on.

one-eyed-warrior_old

un fking believable!!!!!

I got the text from a bro and thought he was a shite. Its either gonna be an awesome move or a complete failure. Hopefully it the first option. Now we can sing the one stacy jones song again.......Awesome.

daj3_old

At first I thought, oh noes... this won't be good. But thinking about it, we could play him alongside any one of those young halves to test them under fire. Hopefully Rovelli goes, Fein should be gone by the end of the year (wasn't liking that but it makes sense now). Now I would actually be a fan of trying Moon at 6 much earlier in the season. The only down side is that we'll need to have a real utility on the bench to cover hooker and halfback. Hohaia? Hendo will become an 80 minute hooker i reckon. Or maybe hendo slips into halfback, and hohaia comes on at hooker.

Skinny_Ravs82

Ftr as I've said in the other post, I do like the guy always have always will but the club's got a future to look to and build on and we're only gong to hamper ourselves down the track not help it.

You don't like what I just said? You think I'm offending the guy, or rather I'm offending every Stacey fan there is on there? Nope, fact is fact. He was the 'then' and really not the 'now' and it's a shame if there are those who can't see that

Mangi-Maori_old

So does experience triumph youth? Yes, it can because nothing beats experience. But experience isn't everything. To get experienced in a game like league you have to get out there; live and play through it and gain those experiences along the way. To do that, you must have the chance to step out of the shawdows of the experienced guys and get thrown in the deep in. Sink or swim, as they say.

Did the Warriors do that? They did in some respects, hunting, scavanging if you will to find some one, anyone that can be that missing piece in the three-piece puzzle. They did go looking and some something and put it to use. Sure it didn't always come off, and that happens. Not every expreiment that've tried has worked wonders but that's what it is all about. You have to get to the best by goiong through the mustard. Not find the best and making that your saviour.

Sure the other NRL clubs have some marketedly outstanding halfbacsk, but they didn't get there by accident. Take Thurston for example. Virutally un-wanted and not considered at the Bulldogs even thou he had the talent but they didn't give him a second look. The Cows came-a-calling and his chance came and he's flourished well but how much immediate success have they had? They are yet to win an NRL grand final even though they've been to the big game before. They've constantly underperformed even with him int he side. What does that tell you? A wonderful player he is but he can't be the Mr. Master "i'll get us out of this' every single game. When he went missing during rep football or was injured, him and matty Bowen what happened with them Cows? Even the Brocnos with Dazza and co still lost games.

It is simple. As wonderfully talented as Stacey is, and as good as he was, that was then, this is the now. The present and we can't just jump on a wing-and prayer that because he's going to play everything is fine, and off we go marching to NRL Grand Final glory. If it happens, great I think we'll all be cheering madly and saying what a master stroke it was.

I do firmly believe we are backtracking and hoping this will solve the issue. I've said it so many times about the halback problems I'm sick of repeating it but we can't solve this easily but signing anybody and hoping like hell that is our answer. We will eventually find a very good halfback somewhere down the line, if when, how I don't have a single clue yet. But we will, but to get to him whoever this person might be, it will take time. we re going to have nurutre whoever it is until they are really ready, and not beccause a few disgruntled fans have a piss-take on the Aussie players or that they are desperate to show there is a Cooper Cronk type person lying around and thus destroying them in the process. And I am also not a beliver iwith the thinking of 'going back in time' which I feel is essentaily is what is happening here. Just becasue Stacey's done it before doesn't mean he's going to do it again.

If someone can prove to me that his kicking is actually going to be worth it, and I fail to see how this is going to help becuase he hasa been guilty plenty of times of bad kicks (But I suppose alot of you will fail to see that because of your absolute support of him). What do we gain out if it really? I see only the experience factor which does come in handy but only for so long. Other then that, we are just hindering our chances of really working with the halves we have, as annoying as they are times but they: be it Moon. Foran, Witt ...etc are what we need to be focusing on. Give them their chances, their times and so on. So it didn't always come off, that is part of the process. Chucking, swapping and changing does nothing in their confidence or ours.

Sure depth is very important to every club, but not when you overstock yourselves to such a degree that you end up having more options then you really need.

Some one might argue about Langer and the Queensland come back, that ws once ina life time, and freakish and very special, and Queensland took a massive gamle and luckily it came right.

I am, and I can't stree this point enough before I get my head bitten off by you lot, a fan of Stacey, always have always will be and I love what he's done to the Warriors and our game over the years. However this is not right

I've mentioned it before, if it works. Great I'm all for it, and don't think for one second I don't want this to work out for him or the Warriors, because I do. I really do. It just isn't enough to convince me our problems are over.

proof that it's definately "that time" again ... put yrself in her shoes guys ...

LordGnome_old

Ftr as I've said in the other post, I do like the guy always have always will but the club's got a future to look to and build on and we're only gong to hamper ourselves down the track not help it.

You don't like what I just said? You think I'm offending the guy, or rather I'm offending every Stacey fan there is on there? Nope, fact is fact. He was the 'then' and really not the 'now' and it's a shame if there are those who can't see that

Shut up!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

I've seen you get frustrated time and time again when forum members get frustrated at poor signings. You've said so many times that you're angered that people want the best, when they should be willing to accept the scraps from the table. Now that we've signed the WGHB, (an unabashedly biased and sentimental claim), and certainly the best Warrior of all time, we're celebrating, and you're angry about it! :violin:

1. How is Jones' signing ultimately bad for the Warriors and a step backwards?
2. How is having added depth a bad thing?
3. How is providing the halves of tomorrow hands on experience alongside a legend of the game a bad thing?
4. What are the negatives about having added competition for positions, and more injury cover?
5. How is it that our support of having Jones back in the fold is being interpreted as misguided fan-boy fervour, as opposed to genuine optimism?
6. Would you prefer that we had yesterday's squad, without Jones, essentially saying the he is worse than nothing? If so, on what do you base that view?