General New Halfback - Stacey Jones!

David James_old

Just imagine the scenes of delirium if we were to win a Premiership with Jones in the halves...

Mate, I would blubber like a little baby in happiness if that happened.

To see Stacey and Pricey lift the trophy in 09, wow.

bigstuboy_old

you know what he couldnt do any worse than the halfbacks we had this year

David James_old

1, 7, and 9 are locked down with Wade, Ian, and Stacey.

So that leave 6 and 14 to fight over. Moon was signed to be a running 6 and that leaves Witt in the cold. 14 will be an all in brawl between Fien, Hohaia, Foran, and Rovelli. I think it will come down to between Fien and Hohaia, with Hohaia having the slight edge as the player that is staying after 09.

I wonder how much of the cap ol' Stacey is pulling.

bigstuboy_old

just imagin all the excitment he is gunna bring back alot of people will go to the game sto see him play i think

EnterFien_old

Excellent move by the club.
The signing of Stacey Jones could be the final peice of the puzzle needed to win us the premiership. He is a smart and modest man and would not of signed a contract if he thought he was not up to it.
Bring on 2009
p.s. Yes we have brought few replacement half-back but imho we are 2/3 through a rebuilding stage and a rookie untried halfback was not really what we needed if we are to win a premiership while we have the likes of Price and co.

bigstuboy_old

i doubt stacey would be asking for much salary he could eeven be on a special contract depending on his game time he definately wont be a high paid player at the club well i hope not for our future

mrblonde_old

Potential losers out of this:
Rovelli - Yes he could move to backup hooker but that shifts out Hohaia and you can't shift out Hohaia. You could do but you'd be an r-tard. Unless of course Hohaia starts at hooker/five eight? Personally my money is on him or Fein being released before the season starts.
Moon - Is he expecting a half role or centre?
Fien - Is he the goods at 7? Most people don't think so and Henderson's the incumbant - electionspeak, sorry! - at 9 so where to for Fein?
We await with baited breath

Iafeta_old

1, 7, and 9 are locked down with Wade, Ian, and Stacey.

So that leave 6 and 14 to fight over. Moon was signed to be a running 6 and that leaves Witt in the cold. 14 will be an all in brawl between Fien, Hohaia, Foran, and Rovelli. I think it will come down to between Fien and Hohaia, with Hohaia having the slight edge as the player that is staying after 09.

I wonder how much of the cap ol' Stacey is pulling.

1 McKinnon
6 Moon
7 Jones
9 Henderson
14 Hohaia

Iafeta_old

THe only downside I see is how crowded now our back up ranks are; assuming Moon, Jones, Henderson and Hohaia are the 'playmakers', with McKinnon at the back, that still leaves;

Fien
Rovelli
Witt
Heremaia
John
Foran
Pawley

All fighting for spots in the Vulcans presumably. IMO, I think they need to use John at 6 and Foran at 7 with Pawley at 9 and Heremaia off the bench, but that leaves Witt, Rovelli and Fien with nothing to do. Personally, I think that we should be using the Vulcans to develop the players who need the most developing... otherwise, we've resigned Isaac John, brought in Liam Foran and essentially for all the potential we 'lauded' on them we've banished them to the local competition and probably stifled their development.

For mine, at the tail end of 2009, Witt, Fien and Rovelli need to go because it's becoming a little too crowded and without being the desired outcome it may be a stumbling block to stifle a good young half coming through.

Jesbass_old

I'd have no qualms with Stacey being on a high salary. For starters, there's more than what he provides on the field - his experience, leadership, and sheer mana will improve the squad in general. (Remember, even Steve Price looks up to Stacey Jones!) Then there's the kicking coaching that he will presumably still be involved with, and as he's only on a one year deal, it won't affect us signing anyone else. He can basically take over Wiki's salary.

David James_old

1 McKinnon
6 Moon
7 Jones
9 Henderson
14 Hohaia

That's what I'm leaning towards as well.

It has a nice balance to it.

Moon - Running Five-eighth with a long kicking game
Jones - Organises play well, and have an excellent short/cross-field kicking game
Henderson - Rugged running hooker
Hohaia - The magic sparking dynamic backup hooker

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

THe only downside I see is how crowded now our back up ranks are; assuming Moon, Jones, Henderson and Hohaia are the 'playmakers', with McKinnon at the back, that still leaves;

Fien
Rovelli
Witt
Heremaia
John
Foran
Pawley

All fighting for spots in the Vulcans presumably. IMO, I think they need to use John at 6 and Foran at 7 with Pawley at 9 and Heremaia off the bench, but that leaves Witt, Rovelli and Fien with nothing to do. Personally, I think that we should be using the Vulcans to develop the players who need the most developing... otherwise, we've resigned Isaac John, brought in Liam Foran and essentially for all the potential we 'lauded' on them we've banished them to the local competition and probably stifled their development.

For mine, at the tail end of 2009, Witt, Fien and Rovelli need to go because it's becoming a little too crowded and without being the desired outcome it may be a stumbling block to stifle a good young half coming through.

Keep in mind that at the end of 2009, Fien is already going, and Jones in all likelihood will do the same. Rovelli will probably be gone and we get a proper halfback to replace him. John and Heremaia were probably a bit off first grade, anyway.

I think 2009 could prove to have so many long term benefits when we consider the development of players like Foran, John, and Heremaia.

Iafeta_old

The problem though Jesbass is the actual for wont of a better word, 'psychology' of those involved.

I talk specifically of Liam Foran. The one thing that is very apparent about Liam is that he is a confidence player. Not so much on the way he carries himself on the field, but he really believes he belongs. He believes he's there now. He also came across here because he wanted more of an opportunity, and now he's probably falling behind another player. The problem for a guy like Foran is that the Vulcan's are not owned by the Warriors and are owed nothing by them, so they are free to choose whoever they like and they are probably more likely to go with a short term focus on what is best for them and select a combination of Fien, Rovelli and Witt in the 6-7-9 jumpers.

It'll be interesting to see psychologically some of the players will cope. Further to that, the step down from the Warriors to the Vulcans is huge, but I dare say it's another leap down to the local competitions. None of Foran, John or Pawley are Under 20's eligible next year so they are in a bit of a funk as far as their careers go. Mentally, they are young, they are brash, they are confident, they may see it for what it is in their mind that there's been an extra bump in their career path best avoided at another club. And when we're crying out for long term growth in this area within the club and potentially all three could be part of our future if they can find that 10% extra accuracy in all of their games, it might not be a long term success for us.

I hope that Wayne and Ivan have been frank and honest with Liam Foran and Isaac John about their long term aspirations. Liam has always stated he wanted to learn off Stacey, so perhaps if it's been explained to him that he will be training WITH him as a player he may be that extra bit patient. I hope he is, because I then want him to lure over his brother Kieran who is an awesome player. Both have said they want to play with each other at first grade level, so either Liam will get frustrated and move on to Manly or Liam will find Auckland enticing and attract Kieran over.

LordGnome_old

Rovelli, Fein and Witt should all start looking for a new club and ask for an early release.

1) McKinnon
6) Moon
7) Jones
9) Henderson
14) Hohaia

All spelt correctly, given the seriousness of the issue.

Warrioraholic_old

All though you have to look forward as a club, you have to look at the bigger picture and that is winning the comp. We are here to win this comp first and foremost, developing players is second for mine and I dont see this as a backwards step at all but more a step in the right direction to holding up that trophy and sporting some finger bling.

Stacey knows we have spent all our money so I reakon he will be pretty much playing for free, well a few lion reds and some sausages of butch.

Remember when we had everuthing covered last year and whamo wade and pricey gone, we look good on paper but injury free will make the difference to a side wanting to beat storm/manly

Iafeta_old

All though you have to look forward as a club, you have to look at the bigger picture and that is winning the comp. We are here to win this comp first and foremost, developing players is second for mine and I dont see this as a backwards step at all but more a step in the right direction to holding up that trophy and sporting some finger bling.

Stacey knows we have spent all our money so I reakon he will be pretty much playing for free, well a few lion reds and some sausages of butch.

Remember when we had everuthing covered last year and whamo wade and pricey gone, we look good on paper but injury free will make the difference to a side wanting to beat storm/manly

So you follow the Mick Watson philosophy to management? Win in 2003 at all costs, and forget the future. Remember, Watson's strategy was to invest in the now, and forget the future. Look what happened to the Warriors immediately post this. Not only were results shambolic, not only did they have to pay out a coach and half the playing roster, but crowds sunk and media pressure esculated.

All businesses need to be mindful of the long term result. The Warriors are no different and this has been proven time and time again that when the guiding strategy of the club is short term there are far greater losses on the other side. The most successful businesses in the world are those that have long term structured strategies, even at the expense of short term pay off. The world's business community is littered by failed entities who had too short term a focus.

Lets assume, like 2003, we don't quite nail the Grand Final (you need a hell of a lot to go your way to win it). Fien, Witt, Rovelli are discarded, Foran goes to Manly, Jones retires, Isaac John has gone elsewhere, how do you see this as being advantageous to the Warriors?

The only way it is advantageous in my mind is if those who they entrust for the future have been given more than 12 month contracts, or, they have verbally accepted the need for Stacey and have given an undertaking that they view this as a learning challenge not present in other clubs rather than a hurdle in their career pathway. I'm all for Stacey being here, but we should firstly remember he was struggling at the end of his previous tenure and that we have purposefully brought in some young chaps with an eye to the future who could now, but hopefully are not, discouraged. Stacey is my all time favourite player, I hope it pays off.

Skinny_Ravs82

Sour grapes? No. Simply stating fact. If you don't believe me go back and watch any old games you can. We've always relied on him to the point others never took the step up and play better they just too it easy. I know and understand why they are doing this, but how in the world is it going to benefit us down the track? He's had his time and we had to learn to live without him and we were learning. albeit it not well but it was still learning and now we're just having this comfort of knowing he can dig us out of a hole in a game.

Iafeta_old

Skinny, we weren't learning, love. Our halves best assets were midfield bombs and cheap turnovers. They became very good at them.

Stacey is a god amongst men. I've stated my concerns, but overall it's another magic Warriors moment for me.

If someone had have said to me yesterday that Stacey would be playing for us next year, I'd have plucked my pubes out. I honestly couldn't be more surprised if I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet.

Jesbass_old

The problem though Jesbass is the actual for wont of a better word, 'psychology' of those involved.

I talk specifically of Liam Foran. The one thing that is very apparent about Liam is that he is a confidence player. Not so much on the way he carries himself on the field, but he really believes he belongs. He believes he's there now. He also came across here because he wanted more of an opportunity, and now he's probably falling behind another player. The problem for a guy like Foran is that the Vulcan's are not owned by the Warriors and are owed nothing by them, so they are free to choose whoever they like and they are probably more likely to go with a short term focus on what is best for them and select a combination of Fien, Rovelli and Witt in the 6-7-9 jumpers.

It'll be interesting to see psychologically some of the players will cope. Further to that, the step down from the Warriors to the Vulcans is huge, but I dare say it's another leap down to the local competitions. None of Foran, John or Pawley are Under 20's eligible next year so they are in a bit of a funk as far as their careers go. Mentally, they are young, they are brash, they are confident, they may see it for what it is in their mind that there's been an extra bump in their career path best avoided at another club. And when we're crying out for long term growth in this area within the club and potentially all three could be part of our future if they can find that 10% extra accuracy in all of their games, it might not be a long term success for us.

I hope that Wayne and Ivan have been frank and honest with Liam Foran and Isaac John about their long term aspirations. Liam has always stated he wanted to learn off Stacey, so perhaps if it's been explained to him that he will be training WITH him as a player he may be that extra bit patient. I hope he is, because I then want him to lure over his brother Kieran who is an awesome player. Both have said they want to play with each other at first grade level, so either Liam will get frustrated and move on to Manly or Liam will find Auckland enticing and attract Kieran over.

Yes, of course psychology is a major aspect, but it was already an aspect. Stacey's signing hasn't made it any more serious. If Foran's psychology wasn't well adjusted, it would have been found out sooner or later, anyway - and almost certainly on the field.

I agree with having the brothers together. I can just imagine Liam's first phone call home after his first match alongside Stacey, excitedly telling all and sundry how great it is to don a jersey with the WGHB. I think such excitement and enthusiasm will be contagious, and hopefully the Warriors are looking longer term to bringing Kieran over if Liam himself is a promising enough success.

When is Kieran off contract at Manly?