General New Halfback - Stacey Jones!

LordGnome_old

And I am not joking!

He is only 32 and has the off-season to get fit - will he get many minutes do you think?

Jesbass_old

Yes, this has been confirmed by Warriors media:

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]JONES BACK IN NRL FOR VODAFONE WARRIORS IN 2009[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Auckland, New Zealand, November 7, 2008 – [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]New Zealand’s halfback of the century Stacey Jones is set to be reunited with the Vodafone Warriors for the 2009 season.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
Three years after ending his record 238-game career at Mt Smart Stadium, the much-decorated 32-year-old today revealed he has signed a one-year contract, negotiated by his agent Peter Brown, to resume his playing ties with the club.
[/FONT]
Jones says an approach by Vodafone Warriors coach Ivan Cleary and a taste of top-level football with the All Golds last month had rekindled his desire to again play for the Vodafone Warriors.
[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It’s a huge decision but I’m so excited about what’s ahead,” said Jones.[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I’ve really enjoyed the time I’ve had back at the Vodafone Warriors (as kicking coach) this year.[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I’ve had a year off playing after finishing up with Les Catalans (in the English Super League) and turning out for the All Golds in England last year.” [/FONT]
Jones said contractual arrangements had prevented him giving any consideration to a playing deal before now.
[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The truth is I had originally signed a new contract to play on with Les Catalans this year but it was a bit rushed. By then we’d had two great years in Perpignan and we were homesick and really keen to come back,” he said.[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The club was good about it and let me go but on the condition I couldn’t play for any other club in 2008.”[/FONT]
His commitment to play in the New Zealand Rugby League’s farewell match to long-time Kiwi team-mate Ruben Wiki on October 12 compelled Jones to take on a training programme.
[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]After training to play for the All Golds in New Plymouth and playing in that game, I realised how much I had missed being out there,” he said.[/FONT]
Jones’ cameo appearance for the All Golds was the catalyst for Cleary to make his approach.
[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A few days after the match, Ivan asked me whether I’d be interested in making a return to the NRL. I said I’d think about it. Obviously I had a lot to consider and while I accept I have a lot of work to do to get back to NRL standard, I really want to give this a shot.[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]My motivation is to try to help the club win a premiership. I like the look of the roster the Vodafone Warriors have for next season. To me, it’s one of the most exciting all-round squads the club has had. [/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I’m still only 32 so I feel there’s time left for me to have another crack now, especially after having a year off. I feel fresh.”[/FONT]
Cleary said both the NRL team and the club as a whole stood to benefit enormously from Jones’ signing. But he added it wouldn’t be fair to place unreasonable expectations on him.
[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It’s been well recognised that we have been looking to improve our halfback depth and in Stacey we could not have anyone with more experience in this position,” he said. [/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Whether Stacey plays many games or not, his experience will be invaluable not only to the young halves but the NRL squad as a whole.[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He has been doing plenty of fitness training recently and we expect him to be in competitive shape when our NRL squad starts preseason training on November 17.[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It’s great for us to have a player of his standing and quality back at the club he has done so much for, and the club that did so much for him.”[/FONT]
Vodafone Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said he was delighted to have Jones back in the fold.
[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]For everyone who has followed the Vodafone Warriors since they were introduced to the competition, Stacey Jones has been the player instantly identified with the club,” he said.[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He has been the most popular player in the club’s history and he still holds most of the club’s individual records as well.”[/FONT]
Jones’ last game for the Vodafone Warriors was against Manly on August 27, 2005, when he scored a try with his last touch in the game to give his side a 22-20 win.
[/FONT]
Named the club’s first life member before starting the 2005 season, Jones finished up with club records not only for the most games but also for the most points (654), most tries (75) and most field goals (12). Those records still stand.
[/FONT]
He played the last of his 46 tests for the Kiwis in the 2006 Tri Nations final against the Kangaroos in Sydney.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]STACEY JONES [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Born: May 7, 1976 [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Birthplace: Auckland, New Zealand [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Position: Halfback [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Height: 171cm [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Weight: 84kg [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Junior Clubs: Ponsonby-Maritime, Pt Chevalier (Auckland) [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]NRL Team: Vodafone Warriors [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Vodafone Warriors Number: 24 [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]NRL Debut: Vodafone Warriors v Parramatta, Parramatta Stadium, Sydney, April 23, [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1995 (Round 7) [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]NRL Career: 238 appearances 1995-2005 [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]NRL Points: 654 (75 tries, 171 goals, 12 field goals) [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]English Super League Team: Les Catalans Dragons [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]English Super League Debut: Les Catalans v Wigan, Stade Aime Giral, Perpignan, [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]February 11, 2006 (Round 1) [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]English Super League Career: 45 appearances 2006-2007 [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]English Super League Points: 133 (11 tries, 43 goals, 3 field goals) [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Test Debut: v Tonga, Warrington, October 8, 1995 (World Cup) [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Test Career: 46 tests for Kiwis, 1995-2006; 6 tests as captain 2002 and 2006 [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Test Points: 160 (16 tries, 47 goals, 2 field goals) [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Kiwi Number: 665[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Awards: Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit (2005), Golden Boot Award (2002), New Zealand Player of the Year (1991, 1992, 2002), Vodafone Warriors Player of the Year (1997).[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Educated: St Paul’s College (Auckland) [/FONT]

Skinny_Ravs82

*meh* I'm really not liking this.

Sure he is a wondeful player and always will be, and don't get me wrong. I like Stacey alot. One of the best around. But this is a serious backward step.We're meant to be moving forwards as a club with our players not going the other direction. and I do fear beccause of it, things will only go down hill. We were so reliaint on him back then, and you see how it was reflected over the last few seasons.

And I don't think he's got it in him.

There's going to be alot air expectations even if they say there shouldn't be, and if he doesn't perform you know what the critics will say.

This is like asking Joey back for the Knights I just don't believe it is what we need for the future going forwards

As I said absolutely no disrespect for the man I am and always will be a fan of Stacey's, but I just find this isn't going to help our cause.

playdaball_old

I hope for the sake of Stacey that this works out. I'd hate to see a great player become a 'joke'. His form in the AG game was nothing to write home about.

How many halves do we have now?

Jones
Fien
Foran
Heremia
Witt
John

Good luck!

MiXmasterreece_old

Sure he is a wondeful player and always will be, and don't get me wrong. I like Stacey alot. One of the best around. But this is a serious backward step.We're meant to be moving forwards as a club with our players not going the other direction. and I do fear beccause of it, things will only go down hill. We were so reliaint on him back then, and you see how it was reflected over the last few seasons.

There's going to be alot air expectations even if they say there shouldn't be, and if he doesn't perform you know what the critics will say.

This is like asking Joey back for the Knights I just don't believe it is what we need for the future going forwards

As I said absolutely no disrespect for the man I am and always will be a fan of Stacey's, but I just find this isn't going to help our cause.

Sour grapes!

All hail the great man.

Imagine how much of a lift this will be to the likes of Foran, Heremia etc - getting to play ALONGSIDE their idol.

Jesbass_old

A step backwards? What does that make Rovelli's continuation with the club - a pole-vault backwards?

They've already made it clear that he won't play every match. He is Liam Foran's idol. Now Foran gets to not just be coached by his idol, but to play alongside his idol. If helping Foran to become a greater player for the future is a step back, then...well...

I'm with Mix. It sounds like sour grapes.

LordGnome_old

All hail the great man!

I doubt he will play many minutes anyway, but he would be a better player than Rovelli if he was 50.

LordGnome_old

Rovelli would have been a good signing for the club, if he had been played as a bench hooker (he is a great support player, but has no idea of how organise a forward pack.)

Jesbass_old

I hope for the sake of Stacey that this works out. I'd hate to see a great player become a 'joke'. His form in the AG game was nothing to write home about.

How many halves do we have now?

Jones
Fien
Foran
Heremia
Witt
John

Good luck!

Any more depth and greater competition has to be a good thing. Jones will be pushing for a spot, but not guaranteed of one. The trot for the All Golds would have been good for him, and he hasn't look too badly out of shape in the meantime, still actively running and so on. Obviously it'll be a step up, but I think this is a positive for the club. An elderly Jones with one leg and no arms is better than what we've been floundering with over recent times.

Jesbass_old

Rovelli would have been a good signing for the club, if he had been played as a bench hooker (he is a great support player, but has no idea of how organise a forward pack.)

Absolutely. Rovelli started for us as a bench hooker, and he excelled. He's a good hooker - but a pants halfback.

TheBigHitter_old

A step backwards? What does that make Rovelli's continuation with the club - a pole-vault backwards?

They've already made it clear that he won't play every match. He is Liam Foran's idol. No Foran gets to not just be coached by his idol, but to play alongside his idol. It helping Foran to become a greater player for the future is a step back, then...well...

I'm with Mix. It sounds like sour grapes.

Who could of seen this coming!!! I think its a really good move. Chances are that Foran is going to be our halfback in the future, and this is going to really help him. I still cant believe it but I really do believe we have got nothing to lose. Cant wait to see Stacey in a Warriors Jersey again. I think a full off season and if he gets fit he will go ok.

AmieJ_old

OMG I can't believe it... Im so bloody excited!!! Great news! Can't wait for 2009 now.

Jesbass_old

And I am not joking!

He is only 32 and has the off-season to get fit - will he get many minutes do you think?

To answer your initial question, Mr Gnome, I think he'll get more game time as the season goes on. He got about 30-50 minutes (not sure of the exact number but it wasn't much) against the NZ Maori and he did look tired, but then he'd only been training for about 2 weeks or so. A full off season of running up and down sand dunes should give him a huge helping hand.

LordGnome_old

He is only ten months older than Darren Lockyer, four months older than Brett Kimmorly and over three years younger than Steve Menzies.

Iafeta_old

The age isn't a problem. It's whether he can physically keep up with the NRL. Mentally of course he can, and tactically it's a great coup... provided he can do the physical things. That means be able to go to the line when required, be able to get in position to back up like a halfback should and also be able to physically cope again in defence. Stace showed some signs of ill form towards the end of his tenure with the Warriors, it seemed to be all coming back hard on him all the years he'd carried the club.

I'm excited, but a bit apprehensive. I wouldn't suggest it's a negative though because if it doesn't work out, there's a lot of back ups, albeit it slightly unproven, ready for a chance. Either way, I think the likes of Manu Vatuvei and Denan Kemp will be thanking their lucky stars that this man will be around to provide the short kicking game to kick over some try scoring opportunities.

All hail the great man.

David James_old

Crazy.

I'm excited but at the same time do not know what to think.

I see big positives and negatives.

We have a seasoned Vet should things not go well with Foran, and Foran can be trained up by watching the stuff he is coached played out on the field in front of him.

It's like an NFL dynamic now with the wiley old Quarterback there teaching the young gun as he plays and then the young gun takes over and the old Vet is there as backup.

Jesbass_old

The age isn't a problem. It's whether he can physically keep up with the NRL. Mentally of course he can, and tactically it's a great coup... provided he can do the physical things. That means be able to go to the line when required, be able to get in position to back up like a halfback should and also be able to physically cope again in defence. Stace showed some signs of ill form towards the end of his tenure with the Warriors, it seemed to be all coming back hard on him all the years he'd carried the club.

I'm excited, but a bit apprehensive. I wouldn't suggest it's a negative though because if it doesn't work out, there's a lot of back ups, albeit it slightly unproven, ready for a chance. Either way, I think the likes of Manu Vatuvei and Denan Kemp will be thanking their lucky stars that this man will be around to provide the short kicking game to kick over some try scoring opportunities.

All hail the great man.

Just imagine the scenes of delirium if we were to win a Premiership with Jones in the halves...