Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Don't be so stupid!

Although, given their habit of sacking the coach, Mohawk might end up giving a big, 8 wheel 30-something seater bus the full support of the board and then will have to call it to it's office and have that hard "it's not us, it's you" talk and give it it's own rubbish bag to clear it's desk out.

And then as the bus trudges sadly away from Mt Smart, he might realise he's sacked the wrong coach!! SHIT!!

They can't do that. Sacking the trainers is the logical thing to do, surely?! :p

Logic and the Warriors, yeah right.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Despite Nathan Brown’s unsatisfactory first season , the sacking of SK was justified.
I think another club should give Kearney a go.

Two fold it will mean a team will likely not go too well and we can look at banking 2 points. Secondly his boring style of football is great at putting you to sleep.

We got a lot of criticism in the media after sacking him, mainly due to us being away from home tough situation etc. Last year showed it was the right decision with the shackles coming off a bit under Payten. The recruitment has also improved as he wasn't a coach who was enticing to potential targets.

Being away from home or not it was the right decision as it showed the club was intent on fixing the results on the field.

Listened to a radio segment on the clubs with news coaches. A few didn't want to rate Brown due to the tough situation the club is in being away from home. If the club give Brown enough time and there are issues related to the coach. Then the club should make a change being stuck away from their base in Auckland or not.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Looking at it from afar how much can be blamed on Brown. Walsh was a fantastic pick up, but he had to be managed as he wasn't mature physically and mentally. The lessons learnt and a pre season should sort that. The same applies to Berry and Vailea, and even Pompey.

Players like Katoa and Murchie had almost, but not quite years, they along with Sironen can build on that. Front Row was a concern until the return of Addin Fonua-Blake and the recruitment of Lodge. Pene should be a good recruit. The other Front Rowers have to raise their games, particularly Jamayne Tounua-Brown, I see no future for Frei.

To this day I haven't worked out why Lawton was released, for me the biggest mistake of Brown's year. I see injury management as one of his biggest weaknesses.

The Spine is the biggest concern,, particularly with injuries. Shaun Johnson is a huge gain. By pre season start he will have had a really long rest which will give his long term injuries time to recover. The confidence that players like Chanel Harris-Tavita and hopefully SO'S will gain is hard to measure. Kodi has performed well with him in the past for the Kiwis. That applies as well off the pitch as well.

I think what Brownie needs to do is get that injury management right, it was a dogs breakfast this year. We also need more cover at 1 and 9.

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Can't see Brown getting the chop anytime soon after the club paid Kearney out around 2m to end his tenure just last season.

Might not be the right coach for us, but hard to judge him based on one season. Plus it's not like there are quality coaches (except Flanagan - who has his own distractors) available.

Also paying out coaches early counts in the football dept salary cap now doesn't it?

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Someone may have mentioned this previously but would we consider bringing Madge into the Warriors coaching mix?
He was previously a Storm assistant , won the nrl with Souths and SL with Wigan, before having a tough time at the Tigers ( like a host of other coaches).
Defensive coach , 2022.?

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Someone may have mentioned this previously but would we consider bringing Madge into the Warriors coaching mix?
He was previously a Storm assistant , won the nrl with Souths and SL with Wigan, before having a tough time at the Tigers ( like a host of other coaches).
Defensive coach , 2022.?
Has he been sacked?

• Haha
Reactions: BeastMode

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
He kept his job … I jumped the gun

Reactions: bruce

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
They won’t sack McGuire.
They’re in the same boat as us- won’t find anyone better.
I think in hindsight the people who signed off on the making of "Tales From Tiger Town" must be thinking "Not the best decision I made in 2020-21!"

The club does not come out of it at all well.

Kent was quite damning last night about the previous Tigers coaches that have been sacked - arguing that they haven't had a gig since, which implies that things were crap before Maguire came long...

And he reckons the "internal review" will magically find the CEO and chairman absolutely not guilty of any failings at all, this year or any previous year. Might be because they're the guys running the "internal review"...

It's going to be a pre-pre-rebuilding year for the Tigers next year, methinks.

So in that context, our rebuilding year for 2022 looks bloody good!

I told you Brownie would have what it takes to make the Warriors look a success!

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Coaching win% Premierships in brackets

Craig Bellamy 70% (3)
Justin Holbrook 67%
Trent Robinson 64% (3)
Wayne Bennett 63% (6)
Des Hasler 58% (1)
Michael Maguire 56% (1)
Anthony Griffin 53%
Ivan Cleary 52%
Brad Arthur 51%
Ricky Stuart 50% (1)
Adam O'Brian 50%
Nathan Brown 49%
Kevin Walters 35%
Todd Payten 34%
Trent Barrett 33%
Craig Fitzgibbon 0%

Daniel Anderson 60%
Shane Flanagan 55% (1)
Paul Green 52% (1)
Geoff Toovey 52%
John Morris 47%
John Cartwright 46%
Andrew McFadden 45%
Neil Henry 44%
Josh Hennay 36%
Stephen Kearney 35%
Cameron Ciraldo 0%
Jason Ryles 0%
Billy Slater 0%
Dean Young 0%

Just some head coaching career winning numbers. Up for any debates, who's under the most pressure next year l, who's in line next? I personally think if your a career coach with over 50% your good enough for a gig in the nrl? Just a thought.

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
That percentage for Brownie drops to 41% for NRL only (i think you have to look at it that way dont you.....otherwise Bluey would be regarded the most succesfull coach we've ever had lol)

Im not as convinced as others are that footy wise Brownie has us on the right track, recruitment wise sure.....and how much of that is down to POS, Brown, or Gould is unsure. For continuity sake its important Brownie has the gig next year, however id expect a number of the onfield areas we were weak in to be addressed in off season.....and id also expect Brown would be one of the coaches under huge pressure if we dont hit the ground running early next season.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
That percentage for Brownie drops to 41% for NRL only (i think you have to look at it that way dont you.....otherwise Bluey would be regarded the most succesfull coach we've ever had lol)

Im not as convinced as others are that footy wise Brownie has us on the right track, recruitment wise sure.....and how much of that is down to POS, Brown, or Gould is unsure. For continuity sake its important Brownie has the gig next year, however id expect a number of the onfield areas we were weak in to be addressed in off season.....and id also expect Brown would be one of the coaches under huge pressure if we dont hit the ground running early next season.
Yup get that, also if brownie gets us to the finals next year with a winning % then the next, he would be in the same boat as a Ivan Cleary, Brad Arthur.

Reactions: wizards rage

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings