Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
Good example to some degree is the Black Caps turning it all around, as Brendon McCullum said "We wanted to personify the traits that we identified in New Zealanders — to be humble and hardworking. We wanted to be respected by our long-suffering fans back home. We wanted to be respected by our opposition, and before we could demand this, we had to learn to respect them,”

The Warriors are not a National side and it would be hard to copy the New Zealand identity part, however the rest can ring true if we had such leadership. The respect for the opposition seems to be somewhat lacking at the moment and to me that is in the Coaching.
Bellamy and Bennett were not always superstars, they had to begin somewhere, and what they are good at is managing the individual and knowing how to get the best out of them, to the best of each one's ability.
I see no such improvement but only stagnation at best.
Good answers. Good Discussion Raw Power.
Cricket is near and dear to my heart. I have a lot to say about that topic.
I think what turned cricket around was better cattle in the team. And I see that as the solution for the Warriors too, And so do Warriors management. The turn over in players has been huge. Only 6 guys were in round 20 2020 and lined up in round 25 202

I think Nathan Brown is the best coach in the NRL at building a roster and we are lucky to have him.
I also think Nathan Brown is probably ordinary or even below average at picking a good team day line up out of his 30 players. And that is costing us games.
On retrospect Roger Tuivasa-Sheck playing on the wing instead of at fullback this year when he is one of the top 3 fullbacks in the league was ill advised.
We over invested too many jobs with Reece Walsh. Why did we make him goal kicker at 19 years old in his rookie year? Reece choked in the Broncos match when any other kicker in the NRL would have kicked us to victory.
Why was Kodi picked for so long at Half when he lost us many games early in the year.
Why didn't we acquire a back up hooker this year when we said we were going to early in the year. We are very lucky Egan didn't wear out from over use.
Why did Ed Kosi play more than one game
Why was Rocco Berry favoured over Pompey when Pompey is more reliable defensively
Why was Vailea picked ahead of a healthy Pompey at one point while again Pompey may lack flair but doesn't make mistakes
Why was Aitken played at second row ahead of Jack Murchie who showed much promise there last year
Why was Ben Murdoch-Masila tried at prop and kept their multiple games leading to his demise and going down the gurgler as a player after a great start to the year on the edge
Why was Sironen constantly picked when he was pants all year.

BUT WAIT
But even if he had've got those decisions right
Who were the better options at half once Turner got injured. They tried to bring in Chad Townsend down the stretch but he got rubbed out by the Sharks when they deliberately injured him as they knew he would take us into the playoffs ahead of them unless they did an old school take out on him. I am not making this up. Watch the footage of that tackle on Chad Townsend in his first game for us. Had he played all the matches down the stretch we would have been in the 8 no question and this questioning of Brown wouldn't be happening.

Without a Chad Townsend our spine and halves in particular were so fucking absolutely dire that all the game day line up decisions he made were like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. Which led him to get funky and desperate and make a lot of bad and risky calls like Ben Murdoch-Masila to prop and lets try a child hood prodigy like Walsh at Fullback ahead of a legend like Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

A lot of those weird tinkering decisions he made that many of us disagree with even like Roger Tuivasa-Sheck were an aggressive roll of the dice because we couldn't win using regular and sensible selection decisions. He felt he had to try something. So he got funky. And probably made things a lot worse.

Would wager it would be a toss up between us and the Dogs who had the absolute worst spine in the league. Brown had no chance. If I could fire Kodi into the sun I would. I hope he never plays again for the warriors or any other NRL team in any capacity even hooker.
If we want to blame NB we can blame him for not getting better halves in to start the year and for having too much faith in Chanel Harris-Tavita and Kodi off the bat. He should have ruled them both out based on footage before the season started. But that decision would have taken balls of steel and the owners would not have backed it at that stage and timing.

Stick with Brown is my message. He didn't have the spine or even a half way decent spine.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
They tried to bring in Chad Townsend down the stretch but he got rubbed out by the Sharks when they deliberately injured him as they knew he would take us into the playoffs ahead of them unless they did an old school take out on him.
That is so obvious it cannot even be called a conspiracy theory, and what did the bunker do about it. One of the worst decisions of the season IMO.

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
That is so obvious it cannot even be called a conspiracy theory, and what did the bunker do about it. One of the worst decisions of the season IMO.
Bruce
So you agree with me?
It was an old school 1970s rub out?
Premeditated before the game ?

• Love
Reactions: bruce

Raw Power

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 30, 2016
Brisbane
I think Nathan Brown is the best coach in the NRL at building a roster and we are lucky to have him.
I also think Nathan Brown is probably ordinary or even below average at picking a good team day line up out of his 30 players. And that is costing us games.
Bellamy, Bennett, Trent Robinson, Des Hasler, Cleary, and even Ricky Stuart are far better at building an NRL roster than our coach... wouldn't you think?
Even Kevvy is making a move up the list.

You make some good points Wrighty... but they are points that even further bury Brownie's reputation.

As for our cricket talent... thank god and god bless our immigration policy from South Africa and other countries.

It's a bit like Australian Rugby League getting immigrants from NZ and Pacific Islands!

Reactions: Cces and gREVUS

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
Walker Brothers would be perfect for the warriors. Low risk for management as it’ll be seen as experimental in a already disrupted year playing away from home. If one of them can’t get the message across to the players there a 50% chance the other one will. They preach fast ball playing footy and that’s where the games been going anyway.
Get em in!

Reactions: Swanley and diehard

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
As for our cricket talent... thank god and god bless our immigration policy from South Africa and other countries.
Off topic but...our junior coaching system has been established for a while now and is constantly improving.

If our young guys are good enough they can get to play overseas, especially in the short version of the game. The Indians in particular are always looking for talent.

Back in the day only the rock stars could get a start in county cricket, which Geoff Howarth quite rightly said was only an advantage because of the amount of cricket they played in England, not because of the quality. Geoff only got to play because he was born there.

I think the quality in our local comp was as good if not better than England, we just didn't have enough of it.

Sure the South Africans have been good, but they have gone to England and Australia as well.

Not to mention NZC must take some credit, surely?

Raw Power

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 30, 2016
Brisbane
Walker Brothers would be perfect for the warriors. Low risk for management as it’ll be seen as experimental in a already disrupted year playing away from home. If one of them can’t get the message across to the players there a 50% chance the other one will. They preach fast ball playing footy and that’s where the games been going anyway.
Get em in!
We Need an Identity...
It started me thinking of what used to be the Warriors Identity and Character, and boy do we need some identity... of flinging that pill around... well that was enjoyable to watch, and it was the good times quite a few years ago now.

The good teams Panthers, Storm, Rabbitohs and Roosters, well they still do it now! And Manly

Last edited:

Raw Power

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 30, 2016
Brisbane
Off topic but...our junior coaching system has been established for a while now and is constantly improving.

If our young guys are good enough they can get to play overseas, especially in the short version of the game. The Indians in particular are always looking for talent.

Back in the day only the rock stars could get a start in county cricket, which Geoff Howarth quite rightly said was only an advantage because of the amount of cricket they played in England, not because of the quality. Geoff only got to play because he was born there.

I think the quality in our local comp was as good if not better than England, we just didn't have enough of it.

Sure the South Africans have been good, but they have gone to England and Australia as well.

Not to mention NZC must take some credit, surely?
Of course NZC takes heaps of credit... the story is out there of how the Black Caps turned it all around. But it was timed nicely with some amazing talent coming in from abroad, especially from South Africa.

Reactions: Cces and bruce

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
When Martin Crowe got the gig at Somerset I was in awe… his wife was really hot too. Just saying.

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2012
I wasn’t a fan of this hiring, I wanted the Walker brothers. Having said that Brown can’t be fairly judged on this year and we will be a laughing stock even more if we fire him so soon.

I also don’t think coaching is our major problem. I think our biggest problem is the lack of leaders in the playing group. With Roger Tuivasa-Sheck gone we now only really have Tohu Harris that looks like a leader from the outside looking in. When desperately need multiple really good leaders amongst the players.
Will the Addin Fonua-Blake and Egan develop into leaders of the club.

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2012
Get em in!
Who are the Walker Bros coaching now and why wasn't they considered for the Broncos or Cowboys role given their so good.

The names don't even get a mention yet for some reason with no basis they appear a good fit for the Warriors.

Honestly, I don't understand the fascination with these unproven coaches who had 2 minutes of success

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings