warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
Meh, after listening to Brown I still feel Payten would have been better. Payten seems more passionate with a point to prove. More authoritative in his voice. Looks like a bit of a mean bastard who you don’t want to piss off. My kind of guy.

Brown sounds like a regular joe bloggs at the pub.He’s tasted success but is he as hungry as Payten ? I guess only time will tell..

Wish him all the best though...

big thing with that, Payton didn’t want it. Bennett didn’t want it. Bellamy didn’t want it.

brown did. And I’m backing him. We need a bit of optimism.

I really don’t understand this forum sometimes. We wanted Kearney, & Blake gone. Now they are, people are gutted at the replacements. We now have an extra 600k to either develop our own, or buy a better player.

with the amount of players released in the last 12 months, along with who is unlikely to be re signed after this year.. I’m thinking we will have a ton of money to spend. And with POS in charge, we’re in a good place.

Seeking a strike centre & a quality prop. We have the money. Make it happen Gus/POS!

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Seen him interviewed talking about changes made over the last 12 months and the club is well down the pipeline of a few others. That sounded like recruitment, no matter how confident it seems you can't be totally confident the players has signed.

It could also be other hirings as well.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
I’m assuming it’s one of the concerns he says he expressed to Robbo that robbo agreed to sort out, and he’s making that clear publicly

which is awesome
Yeah its very encouraging that they are talking up a an academy for rugby league in New zealand. I hope that the warriors stretch their arms as wide as they can in new zealand and not just focus on auckland. We need to make this club as positive and attractive as possible so that kids can stay home and not have to move over to Australia.

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
I'm not going to judge Brown one way or the other until we're halfway through next season. I think the last month or so of footy has shown there's mileage in this current squad under Payten, so I'd like to think we can aspire to this level of form consistently with an even stronger roster next year + settled halves combo of Chanel Harris-Tavita and Niko.

My focus for Brown and Gould next year would be getting some stability in the team rather than outright 'TOP 8 OR FAIL'. I'd be content with a 7th-11th finish if we COMPETE in every game. I'll accept losses if it's due to a lack of skill or being outclassed like our recent loss to the Rooster. But I'll be pretty annoyed if there are consistent examples of the team not showing up or giving up after a small bit of adversity.

I'm leaning towards being optimistic if Gould and Brown can work together well though. They inherited really bad situations at the Panthers / Knights and were instrumental in turning them around (only to be kicked to the curb for those clubs to reach the next level)

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Whilst I'm going to continue with the cautiously optimistic approach, Robinson has added to his 'dream team' comment by declaring (Stuff) the appointments as the best thing that has happened at the Warriors in 20 years!

I quite enjoyed 2002 myself and a few things in between.

Ah well hopefully he is right and we'll spend the next few years bowing down to his holiness...

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Whilst I'm going to continue with the cautiously optimistic approach, Robinson has added to his 'dream team' comment by declaring (Stuff) the appointments as the best thing that has happened at the Warriors in 20 years!

Has he announced their initiative to become the “ best single sporting franchise in all of Australiasia” yet?
I haven’t been excited since...

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
So you have a panel of "experts" to hire the right guy and then someone rings you out of the blue and you give them the job? Not buying some of this story.

My theory is that the warriors told Brown early he wasn't in the running coz Peyton was #1 pick, but they let him say he wasn't puttng himself forward so it looked better for him, then when they got turned down by Peyton they gave him the panic call.
I see it differently, I think it might have played out like this.
NB was involved in the warriors, as they were looking for a replacement for SK before he was sacked and he was the best available at the time.
They thought they had him, so sacked SK.
NB saw or was told something he didnt like so he ruled himself out.
They panicked and saw TP as a replacement ready to go who was starting to get good results.
TP ruled himself out
NB took his opportunity phoned the boss and talked about that/those issues that put him off before.
In desperation the boss, decided to negotiate and they came to a happy conclusion.

of course i really have no idea. But this does fit those facts that we know. NB involved with the warriors start of year. SK sacked. NB suddenly backs out, Welcome aboard TP, TP out, NB one phone call and in.

I think this put NB in a very strong position to dictate (or at least negotiate) terms

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Has he announced their initiative to become the “ best single sporting franchise in all of Australiasia” yet?
I haven’t been excited since...
Excited or let down. I suppose one could follow the other when they made that statement. It's not getting brought up as much in the press so the clubs not getting embarrassed by it as much.

We did get a new gym out of it though.

So far all we've got out of the current ownership is a bus.

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Brown will be on Triple M in the next 30 mins or so. They said around 3:30 Aus time.
Browny talks so fast he's like the polar opposite of Mooks, I'd buy a car off him. This Pacific development academy sounds pretty exciting, credit to Robbo for getting Gould and V'Landis on board. They appear to be suddenly concerned about the dire state of the game here, Robinson could actually turn it all around if it's not all just noise.

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Browny talks so fast he's like the polar opposite of Mooks, I'd buy a car off him. This Pacific development academy sounds pretty exciting, credit to Robbo for getting Gould and V'Landis on board. They appear to be suddenly concerned about the dire state of the game here, Robinson could actually turn it all around if it's not all just noise.

Yup. I liked how Brownie talked about the issues we have retaining our own players because of a lack of clear development pathways.

It's good to know that the incoming coach actually understands that rather than thinking they have a whole country to choose from blah blah we hear so often.

Rilakkuma

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
I wonder what the private matters he discussed were before signing? I would imagine he wanted to make sure he wasn’t coming here to ruin his coaching record anymore than it already is.

I hope he does well because that knights record is a stain on his career.

Reactions: Off The Bench

Mr Dragon

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2015
I wonder what the private matters he discussed were before signing? I would imagine he wanted to make sure he wasn’t coming here to ruin his coaching record anymore than it already is.

This year could of broke us has a club, but it didn't. We need to take this into next year or we would of learned nothing.

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018

I think Robbo answers that when he answers a question at the 25min mark of the interview on the Warriors website

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013

Yet a lot of Knights fans think he did a good job in rebuilding the Knights after Bennett left them on the floor.

Reactions: Off The Bench

Woofa

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 25, 2013
Auckland
I see it differently, I think it might have played out like this.
NB was involved in the warriors, as they were looking for a replacement for SK before he was sacked and he was the best available at the time.
They thought they had him, so sacked SK.
NB saw or was told something he didnt like so he ruled himself out.
They panicked and saw TP as a replacement ready to go who was starting to get good results.
TP ruled himself out
NB took his opportunity phoned the boss and talked about that/those issues that put him off before.
In desperation the boss, decided to negotiate and they came to a happy conclusion.

of course i really have no idea. But this does fit those facts that we know. NB involved with the warriors start of year. SK sacked. NB suddenly backs out, Welcome aboard TP, TP out, NB one phone call and in.

I think this put NB in a very strong position to dictate (or at least negotiate) terms

I see it as.. they wanted a 'super coach'.. went hard for a few of them.. got knocked back for 2021.. with 22 a possibility for say 1 of them if money is right (usual speil as so your market worth remains strong when it comes to negotiating for the job you want). They offered TP the role with no guarantees for 22. He read between the lines and went 'f-that' I want the Cowboys role as they have approached me (must be a good chance) and I have Cowboys history so he knocked it back hard.. then the Warriors effectively panicked.. we have no coach now and will end up with egg on our face.. what to do?!... NB phoned at the right time.. they offered him 1 year.. he was staunch and said 3 year minimum.... right place - right time effectively.. Now I think if TP had of gone back again and said the same at the same time without the National (and NZ) TV broadcast.. he would of got the job. I possibly think TP is the better coach right now.. so a little gutted BUT NB wants the role.. hopefully Gus and him talk strategy and he can motivate the boys like TP can.

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
GTFO.

The ONLY Coach I didnt want us to sign was Brown. So that tells me George knew last year when he said Brown was coming to help out. I thought to myself, what for, to make sure we lose.

He is not a rebuilding coach, he is a nothing coach. Sure his % with Dragons was OK. But it didnt get them anywhere.

Is this club serious, or dellusional? They said they would wait for the right Coach. So instead they sign the coach nobody wants. This is Kodi 2.0 but at least Kodi has some talent.

I dont "Want" to sound negative, but this is a disaster.

Look how crap Knights were with Brown, look at them now without Brown at the reigns.

Hes a NICE guy, but hes a GOOD coach, let alone ELite. FFS. Another Elliot, 5 more years down the drain

What Gus will do is make us realise what a stupid location Mt Smart is, and that we need to be involved in the NRL community which means having home games in Aus, which Im all for. Gus Im ok with. Hopefully George is being Axed, we get Shaun Johnson back, throw whatever is left at Brandon Smith, top 4 spine, let Gus do all the real coaching. top 4 team.

If its just Brown being coach and Gus having a few words, forget it.

When will this club learn that "Something is not better than nothing". Id rather have Stacey coach the team until we got the right coach.

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
May 10, 2012
I really like the line of thinking that Premiership success comes from actually making the finals and playing big games regularly.

If we were to finish 8th next year, 6th in 2022 and (let's say) 3rd in 2023 without actually winning the Premiership - who here is going to say no to that after a solitary finals game in the past 8 seasons (and probably 9 this year).

We've made the finals just 7 times in our history, but 4 of those occasions have seen us be one of the last 4 standing....

I don't really think winning a Premiership in itself is a goal, it really is just the pay off from a whole bunch of other stuff which when put together delivers a team that is capable of winning consistently and winning under pressure. It's those teams that get the chances most regularly.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings