You complain about George having no NRL experience, then link to the storm, whose CEO was an AFL man until a year ago?
Im not saying I want him, but in saying that, its a lot closer than Horse Racing. Id expect a lot of synergies in fact, which is likely why they picked him. Ie he is unlikely going to go and tell their best player they are not worth the salary that he just offered his best player, instant moron move. But again, I wasnt referring to him. My point was, if you go through the staff listings for each club, there are a lot of executives with lots of experience in NRL Clubs that could make excellent NRL Club CEOs.

The CEO and Coach positions are often closely linked. Look at the fall out between Bennett and White at the Broncos.

One of the main reasons is to put a high level of professionalism into the club, both internally and externally. We dont want the CEO to be seen on Club video's swearing like a trooper or making dumb moves with players over twitter. Giving the Owner a channel of communication to the coach and a channel from the CEO to the players via the Coach. That is a huge reason to find the best CEO for the job, or as Frank Endacott said in the article I posted, its a good time to sweep the club out.

But once you quit you can let it rip, how about this one from ex NRL CEO on Wayne Bennet rofl.

If your good at your job your good....irrespective of back ground. We need a CEO with business nous who sets the culture, standards and framework for the club to grow and improve both on and off the field.
Well said.

Isn’t most of the chat about who we replace him with? This decision is critical to our future. I’m hopeful of Flanagan even though it’s probably highly unlikely.
I thought when we were searching for a half and Flanagan fell out of favour with Bulldogs we should have had a crack at him. Now we got no coach I would offer flanagan and him a deal.

Flanagan would likely turn us down, but if his sons future could be secured he might be interested.

But my guess he has the Bulldogs job. Given Gould said he wants a coach with Premiership success at the helm.

But not the first time Gould says something and then does another.

Reactions: demco
If Flanagan is appointed I'll distance myself from the club...the guy is a disgrace to rugby league. I understand one offence, but not the second one.
At best he should only be allowed an assistant coaching role.
There may not be a club to support if we don’t get the best free coach available, can you imagine another kiwi based team who has their shit together say based in CC? How many Warriors supporters would jump ship? Flanno might bring the club success we’ve all been craving and needing.

Rugby league 2022: Nathan Brown’s plan to stop coaches getting axed | Daily Telegraph​

Fresh from retiring as a head coach Nathan Brown says clubs can do more to protect and help young mentors succeed.
Brown has pulled the curtain on his two decade stint as a first grade coach after parting ways with the Warriors this week.

While Brown enjoyed time in charge of three NRL clubs and two Super League sides most coaches are not afforded the same opportunity. He now plans to play an active part in ensuring coaches longevity.

The likes of Steve Price, Garth Brennan, Dean Pay, Ivan Henjak, Kevin Moore and Rick Stone have not been given another chance at a head coaching spot in the NRL after being axed by their first club with less than 100 matches to their name.

Stream every game of every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now.

Others get to move clubs such as Trent Barrett and Anthony Seibold but they too face the obstacles and doubts if they will land another top job after two cracks.

Brown said the environment was a pivotal factor in deciding how successful a coach could be.

“I believe more often than not that the organisation keeps the coach employed,” Brown said. “The things that are put in place by an organisation will help a coach.

Nathan Brown wants to play an active part in ensuring coaches longevity.

“There are some very elite coaches like Craig Bellamy who helped make the Melbourne Storm.

“If you look at St George in the early 1990s, Brian Smith got that organisation going. He made grand finals, David Waite took over and made grand finals and then Andrew Farrar and I coached in finals. Wayne Bennett came in and won a premiership.

“When you look at the Roosters they’ve had four coaches make grand finals in their first season at the club in Graham Murray, Ricky Stuart, Brian Smith and Trent Robinson. For that to happen it means the organisation is doing a lot of things right.”

Brown, who won a premiership with St Helens, had success at the Dragons taking them to two preliminary finals before embarking on large rebuilds at the Knights and Warriors. He pinpointed a few areas which should be non-negotiables for clubs if they are to develop sustained success.

“The way younger players at clubs are developed plays a big part in success,” Brown said. “People in charge of reshaping the roster is important.

Steve Price was one of several coaches to be axed by their first club with less than 100 matches to their name.

Steve Price was one of several coaches to be axed by their first club with less than 100 matches to their name.
“For 30 years at South Sydney before Shane Richardson got there they just churned over coaches. He put his good friend John Lang in and Langy took a few bullets as they changed their roster.

“They hired Michael Maguire who is a very good coach and they win a premiership. Anthony Seibold wins coach of the year and Wayne had success when he came.

“Maguire and Seibold change clubs and all of a sudden are these guys bad coaches or was it bad environments? So which part of the organisation was letting these blokes down?”

Brown will take some time off before finalising his next move. Ideally, he wants to transition into a management role at a club and has no intention of coaching again.

“Life for me is about creating memories,” Brown said. “I can’t complain about anything. I’ve had some tough times in rugby league but a lot of good memories and met a lot of good people.

“I would like to stay involved and help a coach build a good roster. I want to have an impact in helping a coach succeed.”

Rugby league 2022: Nathan Brown’s plan to stop coaches getting axed | Daily Telegraph​

Fresh from retiring as a head coach Nathan Brown says clubs can do more to protect and help young mentors succeed.
Brown has pulled the curtain on his two decade stint as a first grade coach after parting ways with the Warriors this week.

While Brown enjoyed time in charge of three NRL clubs and two Super League sides most coaches are not afforded the same opportunity. He now plans to play an active part in ensuring coaches longevity.

The likes of Steve Price, Garth Brennan, Dean Pay, Ivan Henjak, Kevin Moore and Rick Stone have not been given another chance at a head coaching spot in the NRL after being axed by their first club with less than 100 matches to their name.

Stream every game of every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now.

Others get to move clubs such as Trent Barrett and Anthony Seibold but they too face the obstacles and doubts if they will land another top job after two cracks.

Brown said the environment was a pivotal factor in deciding how successful a coach could be.

“I believe more often than not that the organisation keeps the coach employed,” Brown said. “The things that are put in place by an organisation will help a coach.

“There are some very elite coaches like Craig Bellamy who helped make the Melbourne Storm.

“If you look at St George in the early 1990s, Brian Smith got that organisation going. He made grand finals, David Waite took over and made grand finals and then Andrew Farrar and I coached in finals. Wayne Bennett came in and won a premiership.

“When you look at the Roosters they’ve had four coaches make grand finals in their first season at the club in Graham Murray, Ricky Stuart, Brian Smith and Trent Robinson. For that to happen it means the organisation is doing a lot of things right.”

Brown, who won a premiership with St Helens, had success at the Dragons taking them to two preliminary finals before embarking on large rebuilds at the Knights and Warriors. He pinpointed a few areas which should be non-negotiables for clubs if they are to develop sustained success.

“The way younger players at clubs are developed plays a big part in success,” Brown said. “People in charge of reshaping the roster is important.

“For 30 years at South Sydney before Shane Richardson got there they just churned over coaches. He put his good friend John Lang in and Langy took a few bullets as they changed their roster.

“They hired Michael Maguire who is a very good coach and they win a premiership. Anthony Seibold wins coach of the year and Wayne had success when he came.

“Maguire and Seibold change clubs and all of a sudden are these guys bad coaches or was it bad environments? So which part of the organisation was letting these blokes down?”

Brown will take some time off before finalising his next move. Ideally, he wants to transition into a management role at a club and has no intention of coaching again.

“Life for me is about creating memories,” Brown said. “I can’t complain about anything. I’ve had some tough times in rugby league but a lot of good memories and met a lot of good people.

“I would like to stay involved and help a coach build a good roster. I want to have an impact in helping a coach succeed.”

So he's a recruitment officer for lower clubs?

• Haha
Reactions: bruce and AlexM
And of course Mark Robinson and Nz Warriors continue to pay Mr Brown until ???
Let's see how the Eels go now before we decide whether it's a wise investment. He might be coaching them before long, it's always handy to have a backup coach in the wings ready to take over when you need him. You're never retired when duty calls, just ask Tim Sheens.

Last edited:
Reactions: wizards rage