Well said Teeps... feel much the same...

I would add that the 360 crew interview came off more as a back slapping affair on a career well done, that let Brownie off lightly... the stuffing up of several clubs and that he is leaving the Warriors club in better shape? FFS

and the only compliment you did concede to Brownie... well there were others putting their hands up!
Brown has a tight relationship with those blokes through the various media outlets over here.

Kent won‘t go hard at his good mates which is why the Broncos (Ikin/Walters) and the Raiders (Sticky) always get a free pass on that show. That also applies to Brownie, what we saw last night was an opportunity for an on air interview and to grab a headline for his next role in rugby league.

Brownie will always land on his feet because he speaks well and knows how to work the gears with the rugby league media.

The circumstances Brownie has worked under over the last couple years has been unprecedented. It is easy to critise from a distance.
Yes he isn't the best coach in the world, and as he said is a rebuilding coach. He knows his limitations.

He took a job nobody wanted...that says it all.

He clicked with CG and Robinson as he is a likeable guy. The worse thing the club did was to hire POS, who Robinson possibly on the mark with his comments. Most of his signings have been flops.

Its for these reasons I think we can exclude Flannagan from discussions and quite rightly.

Even if it narrows the list down to Stacey, Woolf and a smoky like Steve McNamara I'd be happy.

Unfortunately, think even Madge could be under consideration.

It's worth noting that even the Tigers appear to have distanced themselves from Flannagan as well.

The Warriors just need a coach who can get a few senior players to buy into the process, if that happens, anything is possible.

Brownie will always land on his feet because he speaks well and knows how to work the gears with the rugby league media.
And despite being a rubbish coach, he actually has a brilliant footy brain. If only the Warriors could have combined SK's coaching with Brownies higher level thought patterns. He would be really good in some kind of Analysis role. I know he wants to work with youth, but I think Analysis is where he is at not coaching in any degree.

My coaching days are over

Just some thoughts on this mornings newshub article
Where he talks about young NZ players getting oppurtunities at the Warriors to retain NZ talent. It didnt go on to explain exactly what they have done, does anybody know? I personally feel NZ has to have the entire NZ RL aligned with a NZ Warriors CUP, exactly like most NSW towns like Newcastle do, then a team of the best from the NZ Warriors Cup is selected to play in the NSW Cup etc. Another reality is, given how many NZ players there are in the NRL, if that was to grow due to the aforementioned alignment, the NRL may have to look at a 2nd NZ team, but for that to succeed it would need to be located in Aus nearest NZs largest Aus demographic base (which is where the Warriors should have located to during Covid to actually get real home fan support in home games),

One thing that annoys me quite a bit is, he talks about this issue impacting his family as being ongoing for some time, why the flap did he sign with the Warriors knowing he would have to move to NZ then?

Despite the miserable 2 seasons, I still think the Gould/Brown influence has gotten us some players that we would never have had access to prior.

The circumstances Brownie has worked under over the last couple years has been unprecedented. It is easy to critise from a distance.
Yes he isn't the best coach in the world, and as he said is a rebuilding coach. He knows his limitations.

He clicked with CG and Robinson as he is a likeable guy. The worse thing the club did was to hire POS, who Robinson possibly on the mark with his comments. Most of his signings have been flops.

Its for these reasons I think we can exclude Flannagan from discussions and quite rightly.

Even if it narrows the list down to Stacey, Woolf and a smoky like Steve McNamara I'd be happy.

It's worth noting that even the Tigers appear to have distanced themselves from Flannagan as well.

The Warriors just need a coach who can get a few senior players to buy into the process, if that happens, anything is possible.
The Nathan Brown 360 interview and the Cameron George press conference really softened my anger about the situation... sure things have been terribly embarrassing on and off the field - but the circumstances dealt to the club are unprecedented.

I truly think the one big misstep of this all is the decision to not relocate to relocate home as quickly as possible.

You also need to have a Coach who understands a top 4 NRL club "process". I think outside Ciraldo, Green, Macguire, Flannagan, that is really unlikely. Which is why somebody like Woolf is going to NEED somebody who does, like Morris.

If SK had the offensive talent in next years roster, he would have succeeded much earlier, and his failing can be put squarely on the CEO who has no understanding of how NRL Clubs "process" works either.

Like so many ex NZ players said at the time, firing SK was a stupid move and given it was to hire Brown, it truely was idiotic., especially knowing now he was just going to quit for family reasons anyway.

What the should have done is replaced Shaun Johnson with a like for like, then continued to build their offnsive talent under SK, 2019 was shaping up as a break through year (possibly top 4) and he had developed a team with a huge amount of footy brains, capable of completing sets, holding onto the football, defending their try line and importantly, very fit pre season. This was all done by following the "process". Which in turn was changing how people viewed the club, as professional.

No club is built in a day, it often takes 5 years to get to NRL FG level. But like politicians, Coaches are seldom given that. SK was but on the eve of potentially top 4 season he had it all brought down by an NRL Club Noobie CEO (why did we hire this guy and why is he still there?). And then by new owners who didnt understand he was there for a warranted long term rebuilding process. Again, their choice was about as stupid as the CEO.

There are a few other 2IC's in the top 4 outside SK who could work with Woolf.....I want to see how Stacy goes to see if he can make an effective change in defense, if so, there is the perfect 2IC. He is still young enough to know where the modern era has headed offensively and defensively.

Whoever they pick, I just hope they dont allow management to shit on their plans and for the owners to sack them simply because they dont understand the mistakes of management and the original purpose of hiring the Coach in the first place.

Which imo, the smartest move would be to sweep out the club, let George roll on out, replace him with somebody, again, with knowledge on how NRL Clubs are run, again there are a lot of NRL executives to poach, including some from Melbourne I like. Most importantly that CEO only talks with the Coach and they protect the team from the owner by making it clear the Owner must only communicate with them. This isnt some suburban Club, get some professionalism in the club, otherwise they players could end up miserable again.

Last edited:

That fact they have said they want a hard ass, spells Flanagan and Maguire.

Reactions: Tim burgess
Wow... there is still people here thinking Brownie was the only option
and he did us a huge favour?

You just have to take a look at the emptiness and dissolution in our players eyes

Newcastle is lying just above us on the table after their great rebuild...

Let's hope we don't mirror their painful climb from the bottom!
Haha, yep, dont get me started, it brings back memories of the great depression that started the day he was announced, knowing we were throwing away minimum 3 years, Im so over joyed its only been .1.5.

I am a Newc Leagues club member and use to drink there a lot even though I lived in Terrigal and Central C Leagues club is my main club. It was the conversations with my Newc friends that convinced me Brown is all words and incapable of coaching let alone rebuild a team. 25.6% win record and 2 wooden spoons and somehow it was decided he was the guy to replace SK for Georges mistakes!!!!

Again, Im just so happy the duldrums was just 1.5 years. I am still pretty pissed SK got canned for George's mistakes giving him zero offense and his one offensive go to had been replaced by a bench player worth $250k that we paid $500k for out feeling stupid for Georges mistake. Had they handed SK our next years roster I have no doubt he would have us in the top 4.

Last edited:

Akkerz

Contributor
There are a few other 2IC's in the top 4 outside SK who could work with Woolf.....I want to see how Stacy goes to see if he can make an effective change in defense, if so, there is the perfect 2IC. He is still young enough to know where the modern era has headed offensively and defensively.

Whoever they pick, I just hope they dont allow management to shit on their plans and for the owners to sack them simply because they dont understand the mistakes of management and the original purpose of hiring the Coach in the first place.

Which imo, the smartest move would be to sweep out the club, let George roll on out, replace him with somebody, again, with knowledge on how NRL Clubs are run, again there are a lot of NRL executives to poach, including some from Melbourne I like. Most importantly that CEO only talks with the Coach and they protect the team from the owner by making it clear the Owner must only communicate with them. This isnt some suburban Club, get some professionalism in the club, otherwise they players could end up miserable again.
Yeah Stace could go well with Woolf in charge
imo you are spot on about managerial interference & there has been too many instances of this in the Warriors particularly since Robinson flexed his chequebook. Sadly we are no bertter off

Reactions: AusWarriorsFan
Yeah Stace could go well with Woolf in charge
imo you are spot on about managerial interference & there has been too many instances of this in the Warriors particularly since Robinson flexed his chequebook. Sadly we are no bertter off
It really can be alikened to any company (but not literally, ie you would NEVER hire an ex Racing manager with no NRL Club knowledge as your CEO, would you? ;-p)

We need a stronger CEO. there is an executive in Melbourne I like very much who I think would keep the lines of communication professional. In fact I like almost all of their staff.

And family reasons?

If we were within the top 4 or even top 8 spots on the table, he'd be organising the kids schools in Auckland for next year
And they would learn how to speak properly. ;-p

Well we’ve never hired a successful, proven nrl coach before so I’d like to try that just once so flanno for me.
Green has had success too but had a tough last couple years, flanno was still in charge of a top 4 side when he lost his job- and that was after taking over a bottom four side.
He built that club- literally- even tiled the joint in the off season.
Plus he’s a plumber by trade so good at cleaning up shit.
Apparently we made a big play for him a few years ago and he was close to coming so if he was considering it then when he already had a job, u would have to think there’s an even better chance now he’s unemployed?
He would be the most expensive option though…
Outside of him woolf could could be a good fit and Ryles is an interesting one.
I qgree Defence,I'm in on Flanno.
Premiership winner whose available...that should be enough right there...but also a
Hard bastard, whose not afraid to have crack at the NRL, when he sees injustice.

Prepared to, lets just say "push the boundaries" to achieve the objectives ,just probably need to temper that just a bit going forward.... mind you way better than having some drongo sitting there with that " what the hell just happened " look occassionally seen on Brownies face and always seen on Mooks's.

Also comes with a ready made junior halfback whose base skill set is the same as Townsends at a similar stage and he was able to turn Chad into a premiership winning No 7. .......Gould rates him highly ,but hes his own man..thats why he wouldnt go to the Bulldogs......whats not to like.
Thatll do me...come on down Flanno.

Bigal

You also need to have a Coach who understands a top 4 NRL club "process". I think outside Ciraldo, Green, Macguire, Flannagan, that is really unlikely. Which is why somebody like Woolf is going to NEED somebody who does, like Morris.

If SK had the offensive talent in next years roster, he would have succeeded much earlier, and his failing can be put squarely on the CEO who has no understanding of how NRL Clubs "process" works either.

Like so many ex NZ players said at the time, firing SK was a stupid move and given it was to hire Brown, it truely was idiotic., especially knowing now he was just going to quit for family reasons anyway.

What the should have done is replaced Shaun Johnson with a like for like, then continued to build their offnsive talent under SK, 2019 was shaping up as a break through year (possibly top 4) and he had developed a team with a huge amount of footy brains, capable of completing sets, holding onto the football, defending their try line and importantly, very fit pre season. This was all done by following the "process". Which in turn was changing how people viewed the club, as professional.

No club is built in a day, it often takes 5 years to get to NRL FG level. But like politicians, Coaches are seldom given that. SK was but on the eve of potentially top 4 season he had it all brought down by an NRL Club Noobie CEO (why did we hire this guy and why is he still there?). And then by new owners who didnt understand he was there for a warranted long term rebuilding process. Again, their choice was about as stupid as the CEO.

How about Lowie?

Warriors the poisoned chalice of the rugby league coaching world​

Since entering the competition in 1995 the New Zealand Warriors have been through 13 coaches, they have played finals football eight times, won one Minor Premiership and lost two Grand Finals. They have long been considered the great underachievers; high on flare, completely unbeatable on their day, inexplicably poor when it is not.
Since the outbreak of COVID-19 at the beginning of 2019, the Warriors have been homeless, playing out of various Australian venues to avoid the quarantine lockdown of their homeland. It has been a tough time for the players and their families, whose sacrifice during that time helped save the NRL from complete financial collapse.
On the field in 2022, their enthusiasm has seemingly waned. With Nathan Brown in his second year as head coach, they had limped to four wins, three of them in succession from Round 3. But, from Round 6 onwards, they have beaten only the Raiders, while copping a couple of hidings, including a 70-10 embarrassment against the Storm on ANZAC Day.
The final straw appeared to be Brown's revelation that he was not prepared to relocate to New Zealand long-term and would not commit beyond the term of his contract, which was set to expire at the end of next year. Brown parted ways with the club on Tuesday morning as a result.
Reece Walsh and the Warriors during their heavy defeat at the hands of the Sea Eagles. Cameron Spencer/Getty Images
Brown is the latest in a steady stream of coaches, starting with John Monie the club's inaugural coach. After two mid-field finishes under Monie, the club was lured across to Super League for the 1997 season, during which Monie was replaced by Frank Endacott.
Endacott remained through the first season back in the reunited NRL competition before being being replaced by Kiwi rugby league legend Mark Graham in 1999. In his two years in charge Graham steered the team to 11th and 13th place finishes. In their first six seasons, the Warriors had failed to play finals football and Graham was soon marched, replaced by Daniel Anderson.
Anderson's tenure marked the first success for the club, with a finals appearance in 2001, followed by a Minor Premiership and Grand Final loss in 2002. They also played finals football in 2003, before a slow start to 2004 saw Anderson replaced by Tony Kemp. Kemp only lasted until the end of 2005 before being replaced by Ivan Cleary, who would go on to be the club's longest serving coach, with six years at the helm, during which they made the finals four times and lost a second Grand Final in 2011.
At the height of the Cleary reign, the Warriors pulled off what was considered one of the greatest finals upset in NRL history, a 18-15 victory over the salary-cap-dodging Melbourne Storm.
Warriors forward Ruben Wiki charges into the Storm defence during the 2008 qualifying final upset. Quinn Rooney/Getty Images
Cleary, more than any Warriors coach before or after him, assembled a balanced team, encouraged them to play with flare, and somehow managed to motivate them to the level of consistency required to succeed in the NRL. Other coaches were seen to crack down too firmly on error rates, the result being football that was un-Warrior like and unenjoyable for fan and player alike. The secret to success seemed to be a delicate balancing act between a free reign and the necessary disciple. Cleary found the balance, enjoyed success and was head-hunted by the Panthers because of it.
Brian McClennan took over for the 2012 season after Cleary departed for his first stint at the Panthers. McClennan didn't see out the year, replaced by Tony Iro, who in turn was replaced by Matthew Elliott for the 2013 season. Elliott didn't make it to the end of 2014, replaced by Andrew McFadden who had a further unfruitful two years in the job.
There were great hopes held for Stephen Kearney who took over for the 2017 season and he managed to steer the club to the finals again in 2018. He didn't make it to the end of 2020, before he was replaced by Todd Payten. The Warriors showed some promise under Payten in difficult COVID isolation times, but he had already been snapped up by the Cowboys with whom he is enjoying great success this season.
Brown signed to take over the role for the 2021 season, but after struggling for 18 months, was today shown the door. Club legend Stacey Jones has been given the job of interim coach.
It remains the ultimate challenge in the world of rugby league coaching. To somehow harness the free-spirited natural talent of the Warriors players, without stifling them. To have them turn up every week at their unbeatable best, to finally climb that premiership mountain, for the benefit of the club and the nation it represents.
Having piloted the Warriors to the 2002 Grand Final, scoring one of the great individual tries of rugby league's showpiece day, Jones may well be the man to revitalise the Kiwi franchise.
A return home to New Zealand and Mt. Smart Stadium next month won't hurt either.

I qgree Defence,I'm in on Flanno.
Premiership winner whose available...that should be enough right there...but also a
Hard bastard, whose not afraid to have crack at the NRL, when he sees injustice.

Prepared to, lets just say "push the boundaries" to achieve the objectives ,just probably need to temper that just a bit going forward.... mind you way better than having some drongo sitting there with that " what the hell just happened " look occassionally seen on Brownies face and always seen on Mooks's.

Also comes with a ready made junior halfback whose base skill set is the same as Townsends at a similar stage and he was able to turn Chad into a premiership winning No 7. .......Gould rates him highly ,but hes his own man..thats why he wouldnt go to the Bulldogs......whats not to like.
Thatll do me...come on down Flanno.
If Flanagan is appointed I'll distance myself from the club...the guy is a disgrace to rugby league. I understand one offence, but not the second one.
At best he should only be allowed an assistant coaching role.

It really can be alikened to any company (but not literally, ie you would NEVER hire an ex Racing manager with no NRL Club knowledge as your CEO, would you? ;-p)

We need a stronger CEO. there is an executive in Melbourne I like very much who I think would keep the lines of communication professional. In fact I like almost all of their staff.

You complain about George having no NRL experience, then link to the storm, whose CEO was an AFL man until a year ago?