General NAFE SELUINI - to leave the Warriors

Ryan_old

And, if it's all about the money, then why did Brent Tate say otherwise? Was he trying to hoodwink everyone?

Jesbass_old

Its all about money....And the Warriors have more cap room than most teams...too let Nafe maybe the most exciting prospect in the game go and a local kid is a disgrace

Its not liked he is blocked by a Cam Smith or Issac Luke

Again the Warriors front office and recruitment continue to take one step forward and then 2 steps back

Solely from curiosity...how much do we actually have? The NRL surplus is well publicised, but how much space is there in our NYC cap? (And am I right that there are two separate caps? (PB? Feka?))

2big2strong_old

Solely from curiosity...how much do we actually have? The NRL surplus is well publicised, but how much space is there in our NYC cap? (And am I right that there are two separate caps? (PB? Feka?))

The NYC cap is $250,000 per team.

But there are a lot of allowances and incentives that don't have to be included in the cap, like if you have to move from more than 100k from where your NYC team is based then you're eligible for a $10k a year living away from home allowance.

Also, this was Nafe's last year in the NYC so he could only be included in the NRL salary cap or 2nd tier cap going forward.

BringBackRovelli_old

I can't comment on th guy, haven't seen any Toyota Cup this season, but Mara looks the goods.

Fazz_old

Nafe is great, but i think people are fogetting that Mara did the exact same thing at that level. Frankly, Toyota Cup defense is shit so until he destroys a team in first grade we can't look at this as a HUGE loss since Mara is still about.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really pissed he's going, but I think some people are guilty of forgetting how good Mara was in 2009. He was every bit the player Nafe was this year imo.

Anyway, we can still hope he'll come back someday.

Just had another thought, what if this is indicative of a possible move for the Fish or Locke to hooker? It's out of the left field but what I that's why he's been let go?

ToiletDuck_old

If he goes then that's a major blow. He's been excellent, reminds me of Isaac Luke.

Jesbass_old

If he goes then that's a major blow. He's been excellent, reminds me of Isaac Luke.

Is he related to Issac?

Sorry...slow news day. Still, could be worse - I could be talking about Mateo being offended by racial slurs from Anderson...

Iafeta_old

Nafe is great, but i think people are fogetting that Mara did the exact same thing at that level. Frankly, Toyota Cup defense is shit so until he destroys a team in first grade we can't look at this as a HUGE loss since Mara is still about.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really pissed he's going, but I think some people are guilty of forgetting how good Mara was in 2009. He was every bit the player Nafe was this year imo.

Anyway, we can still hope he'll come back someday.

Just had another thought, what if this is indicative of a possible move for the Fish or Locke to hooker? It's out of the left field but what I that's why he's been let go?

Alehana was great in that grade. However, IMHO Nafe was a slight step ahead.

I wouldn't be thinking either Glen or Kevin to hooker. I think Elijah Taylor will be third in line to play dummy half. Elijah is an immensely underrated player. I thought last night he did a lot of small things that kept movements going, I think he has very good balance where he can position short passes and offloads with accuracy.

sebastian_old

Whether Nafe is better than Mara was in the U20's is open to speculation. The way i now look at it is Mara was a great U20, has been promoted to 1st grade & now perhaps the club are thinking long term with Mara. Heremaia was great in the last few weeks & with Mara coming off the bench next year obviously is how our club see's the future. In respect to Nafe maybe he is a better player than possibly both players but if our plans centre around those two, Nafe may want a guaranted start in 17, maybe we couldn't give him that guarantee. I'm happy to support Mara, he is a talented hooker who hopefully will make his mark next year.

Iafeta_old

He doesn't get a guaranteed spot at Penrith. They have Kevin Kingston and Masada Iosefa there. He's in the same boat as he is here. If we're looking to build a plan, surely the plan is by say 2012-2013 we are rotating Mara and Seluini and genuinely offering a consistent edge out of dummy half. The only thing that tempers my anger somewhat is Elijah Taylor is still with us, and while he doesn't get many wraps, he's extremely accurate and direct and he can work out of dummy half.

BringBackRovelli_old

Maybe the club is thinking an 80 minute hooker, which would make holding onto both a luxury. Some examples of that in the NRL.

blain91_old

Stuff seems to think he rejected an offer from us.

Warriors coach John Ackland shook hands on a fresh two-year deal a day before piloting his under-20s side to next Sunday's Toyota Cup grand final - but his matchwinning player has rejected a new contract with the club.

Ackland's side didn't lead until the 67th minute, but edged a seven-point win over the Bulldogs on Friday night to secure their first-ever final appearance which was sparked by a searing break from hooker Nafe Seluini to create Glen Fisiaahi's late winner.

But while Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said he was ''delighted'' Ackland would be staying on, Seluini has rejected an off-season training contract with the first grade squad to sign for Penrith.

Up to nine of this side will play first grade next year, although only five of those with the Warriors. Backrow Matt Robinson, winning tryscorer Glen Fisiaahi and wing Ivan Penehe - absent on Friday with a knee injury - have senior contracts for next year and half Shaun Johnson and hooker Elijah Taylor are already in the club's senior squad. But Seluini is off to the Panthers, prop Mark Ioane has signed for Canberra, wing Elijah Niko for Melbourne and centre Siuatonga Likiliki has been recruited by Newcastle.

''That's what happens,'' said a sanguine Ackland.

Asked about Seluini, he said: ''I'm pleased for him, he's worked hard at his game, he competes hard and hsi defence has improved significantly. He's a very streetwise little football player.''

Ackland says skipper Ben Henry is in doubt for Sunday's Grand Final after leaving the field early with a twisted ankle and he will add Joe Mua and John Palavi to a 20-man squad which won't travel until Saturday.

That late departure is in keeping with their usual routine, and his players will also be expected to still work and study all week and train in the evenings as usual. ``We won't change a thing,'' he said.

The come-from-behind win was also typical of Ackland's men. The game was scoreless for half an hour, but the Bulldogs went 10-0 up, one of their tries from Aucklander Paki Afu, before two tries in four minutes just after halftime from Warriors' Afghanistan-born wing Omar Slamainkel levelled the scores again. Giant substitute Sam Lousi made the first, smart work by Taylor created the second, but the Warriors fell behind again and didn't bring the scores level for a third time until halfback Shaun Johnson's feinting run through a bemused Dogs defence just after the hour. Johnson's field goal gave them the lead for the first time, and with four minutes to play, Seluini's burst was finished expertly by Fisiaahi for his 19th try of the season.

good news about the others staying on, and if he did turn us down, not too much u can do really. He might just want a lifestyle change.

warriors4life_old

Hopefully he gets some first-grade and at the end of his contract we can offer him a decent deal to come back home such as in the case of Steve Rapira. Assuming he performs well at the top level of course.

KeepingTheFaith_old

That's all we offered him? An off season training contract. If I were Seluini I would've rejected that as well.

Reminds me of Brent Webb. The Broncos offered him an off season training contract but he opted for the genuine contract which we offered him. I'd say Seluini has done the same and nobody can blame him for that.

Just from that article it looks like we've undervalued him a bit.

Fazz_old

Alehana was great in that grade. However, IMHO Nafe was a slight step ahead.

I wouldn't be thinking either Glen or Kevin to hooker. I think Elijah Taylor will be third in line to play dummy half. Elijah is an immensely underrated player. I thought last night he did a lot of small things that kept movements going, I think he has very good balance where he can position short passes and offloads with accuracy.

To be fair to the coaching squad...Taylor is a VERY solid player and would have played fg had it not been for injury, he was also the clubs player of the year in 2009...He's (well imo) more of a playmaker then Nafe too, maybe thats the typ of player they wanted? Taylor could be hohaia 2.0 as he's been known to play Centre, 5/8th, Hooker, Second Row and Lock...

Maybe Taylor has a better attitude, who knows? I'm gunna choose to support management on this choice with the info we have now (while being a bit pissed off still)

I Will be very cranky if Ikahahifo leaves though...

Northern_Union

Taylor appears to be a more mature player. In my opinion they are probably looking at him as a future first grader once he is over his knee issue.

Spence_old

Either Nafe was being too greedy or we were being too tight. Either way we have no idea until more information comes out.

The way I see it, in the long run, we could either keep Locke or Nafe - depending on whether Hohaia will go back to hooker.