General Mt Smart Stadium

Looks like it is down to Eden Park vs one of the other options, Te Toangaroa. The other two won't be presented to councilors.

A couple of things to me that stand out.

Now we are on to Eden Park 2.1 instead of 2.0. The Eden Park option can be funded without ratepayer investment. That one gave me a laugh.

The other one only 973 people attended an NPC game at Eden Park.

It looks like eden park is going to win which is disappointing, a brand new stadium at the waterfront would have been preferred no neighbors complaining & including more sports & concerts

I'm going to be so pissed if Auckland screws this up again.
I haven't see any good reason why Eden Park would be the better option.

The only silver lining is that Auckland FC's billionaire owner has talked about building a 20k~ stadium. And not having a Waterfront stadium with a club mode adds to his need for a boutique stadium.
Hopefully the Warriors get in his ear and ask him to increase the capacity slightly and the two clubs can go it alone with a brand new fir for purpose stadium.

The only silver lining is that Auckland FC's billionaire owner has talked about building a 20k~ stadium. And not having a Waterfront stadium with a club mode adds to his need for a boutique stadium.
Hopefully the Warriors get in his ear and ask him to increase the capacity slightly and the two clubs can go it alone with a brand new fir for purpose stadium.
What would really screw over AC is if the Warriors joined in with the AFC waterfront stadium and abandoned Mt Smart in favour of a 25,000-30,000 roofed stadium. That would leave AC with four stadiums and the main tenants from the only one that makes a profit gone. Oh, the irony of it all!!!

Looks like it is down to Eden Park vs one of the other options, Te Toangaroa. The other two won't be presented to councilors.

A couple of things to me that stand out.

Now we are on to Eden Park 2.1 instead of 2.0. The Eden Park option can be funded without ratepayer investment. That one gave me a laugh.

The other one only 973 people attended an NPC game at Eden Park.

Shockingly low support for the Blues too - they couldn't fill Mount Smart!

For anyone who is interested, here is the latest update of the construction of Te Kaha stadium in Christchurch.
When you drive past you get a great understanding of the scale of the build.
It’s going to be quite impressive.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0pst_EYfSw

As a Christchurch local, I am so excited to have this stadium being built in the CBD. It was a bit of a blessing in hindsight that the old Lancaster park was destroyed in the earthquake, if it didn't we wouldn't have a world class cricket ground at Hagley and Te Kaha would only be a dream.

You would think building a new stadium downtown would be the way to go. While that's being built you still have Eden park to use for sports and concerts. Hopefully they don't fuck this up but you just know they will end up going with Eden park upgrade and it will be largely an unusable eyesore for three years until it's completed.

You would think building a new stadium downtown would be the way to go. While that's being built you still have Eden park to use for sports and concerts. Hopefully they don't fuck this up but you just know they will end up going with Eden park upgrade and it will be largely an unusable eyesore for three years until it's completed.
Nothing surer

Why do they want to get going ASAP? Because the British and Ireland Lions are coming to NZ in 2029 so if they don't get underway with either the Eden Park upgrade or a new Stadium soon, it wouldn't be ready in time.

Perhaps it's time for Graham Darlow to rejoin FCL.... he's probably the only one I'd trust to over see the construction in time. Although I worked for Fletchers before he arrived, and, while he was there had been contracted by Fletchers a few times, I never met him but, going by his reputation, and no shit attitude, I can't think of anyone else capable of pulling it off.

Last edited:
Why do they want to get going ASAP? Because the British and Ireland Lions are coming to NZ in 2029 so if they don't get underway with either the Eden Park upgrade or a new Stadium soon, it wouldn't be ready in time.

Perhaps it's time for Graham Darlow to rejoin FCL.... he's properly the only one I'd trust to oversea the construction in time. Although I worked for Fletchers before he arrived, and, while he was there had been contracted by Fletchers a few times, I never met him but, going by his reputation, and no shit attitude, I can't think of anyone else capable of pulling it off.
I dealt with Graham when the port was undergoing dredging many years ago.
Impressive guy. No fuckin around. No drama.

Back