New Zealand Warriors
Rep Honours
  1. Samoa
  2. NZ Maori
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chanel_Harris-Tavita
This could workout as an absolute prescient signing with SJ getting hurt. CHT has actually played 7 for an extended period, unlike our other options. It's really between him and Metcalf and Metcalf hasn't proven anything at 7. If Metcalf can't do it, CHT will be a godsend. He's no SJ but he can kick goals just as well and can fill the role.

This could workout as an absolute prescient signing with SJ getting hurt. CHT has actually played 7 for an extended period, unlike our other options. It's really between him and Metcalf and Metcalf hasn't proven anything at 7. If Metcalf can't do it, CHT will be a godsend. He's no SJ but he can kick goals just as well and can fill the role.
CHT makes the most sense to get first shot at 7 for me. I personally haven’t seen anything to suggest that Metcalf could get us around the field with his boot. CHT has a bit to learn about his kicking placement but his highlights reel shows one of his 40/20’s kicked from the 30 and goes out on the 10m line. He’s got distance, just needs accuracy and some more height on those bombs.

We got 3 x 6's. I would go with TMM at 6 and put one of the other 2 at 7, doesn't matter which. In the pre season last year Metcalfe showed some promise in managing a game but then CHT had also done so in the past but has been out a while.
Keep the plan simple, survive till the King of Penrose returns.

Isn’t CHT the natural backup 7?

He’s played 16 of his 54 NRL games at halfback, 10 of his 30 NSW cup games at halfback. He’s even played a test at 7.

Metcalf has played 7 games at 7 in his whole career.

TMM has played 6 games at 7 in his entire career.

CHT is a lock as SJ’s backup isn’t he?
As long as he fronts up ready to go.
Hopefully he does but nobody is a lock imo

Isn’t CHT the natural backup 7?

He’s played 16 of his 54 NRL games at halfback, 10 of his 30 NSW cup games at halfback. He’s even played a test at 7.

Metcalf has played 7 games at 7 in his whole career.

TMM has played 6 games at 7 in his entire career.

CHT is a lock as SJ’s backup isn’t he?
Unless they have him locked in at 6- then you’d be better off slipping metcalf into 7 for a week or two.

Tempting to post this in the recruitment thread with the talk of Jackson Hastings and other halves options are being bandied about a lot.

Watching Chanel kick a lot in the NSW cup, I see where he could be the natural successor to SJ.

Chanel is growing into a natural field kicker, with SJ's influence and Webster in charge he could learn Johnson's last tackle kicks, Shaun is a simple but effective kicker, his kicks are really straight forward and are in the more easily executed kicks directly to specific players to target with a kick chase, rather than trickery.

It remains to be seen if Chanel can develop SJ's pass selection, but even SJ took years to develop his, held back in part by being a running genius.

The over arching principle guiding my thinking is that while CHT is not a running half, the best version of SJ is not either.

Two areas Chanel needs to grow in a big way (no not kicking, he is a genuine kicker now that just needs maturity i.e. time now) is directing troops and pass selection, I am sure Webster can make it work for him.

A whole year of focusing on fundamentals away from the pressures of NRL are likely to benefit this older more mature version of Chanel we see in cup.

I think he should be a genuine halfback option.

View: https://youtu.be/p3f0FxjTF-k?si=QPKsOjC0u0CtSLqs

Decent poddy here with Chanel and Te Maire interviewed by Isaac John.

One interesting takeaway was that Chanel said that he hasn’t put a big hit on since Browny told him it’s a waste of effort (as a half). Fair enough I guess. (45:10 on the poddy to hear more).

Think that aggressiveness when used at the right time is still a valuable trait for him. With that 14/Hooker role this year, hopefully he can bring back that presence if and when needed.

At least we know with Webby in charge, we’ll be getting the right Chanel that’s needed for this team.

Lots more covered in this podcast about both the boys, so it’s worth checking out.

One interesting takeaway was that Chanel said that he hasn’t put a big hit on since Browny told him it’s a waste of effort (as a half). Fair enough I guess. (45:10 on the poddy to hear more).

Think that aggressiveness when used at the right time is still a valuable trait for him. With that 14/Hooker role this year, hopefully he can bring back that presence if and when needed.

At least we know with Webby in charge, we’ll be getting the right Chanel that’s needed for this team.

Lots more covered in this podcast about both the boys, so it’s worth checking out.

Really enjoyed the previous one with Jazz and Walker also, look forward to this tomorrow.

Huge fan of CHT, but yea unless he wants be like old man Foz with his zimmerframe or Matai. You can make strong tackles as he did against the Raiders, but snapping blokes in half can do just as much damage to yourself.

"Imagine paying to hang out with Jazz"
Lol
TMM is such a nice humble guy :)