General Movie Thread

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
I've started to enjoy old war movies. Came across some reviews for Das Boot recently and decided to take some time out to watch it.

Interesting to see a WW2 movie from the German point of view. The only one I can remember doing that is a Marlon Brando one which had two soldiers meeting before the war or who had been with the same woman and followed the 3 of them through the war.

I haven’t seen the film, but I did see the original 1980’s TV series which I assume the film was edited down from. Class series and miles better than the recent update which was OK but a bit plodding.

Reactions: snake77 and bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I haven’t seen the film, but I did see the original 1980’s TV series which I assume the film was edited down from. Class series and miles better than the recent update which was OK but a bit plodding.
You have to watch the movie bro, stand to attention and sing" land of hope and glory" at the end...spoiler alert ;) :D

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
When I first got put onto the Das Boot the recommendation was to watch the mini series. The only places I could source it had the movie.

Hopefully one day I'll get to see it.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I was thinking of starting a thread about favourite movie scenes.

As much as I sort of hate the inference from the Godfather Trilogy that they are all misunderstood Robin Hood good guys, there is some excellent movie craft in them.

This scene is from the worst performing of the trilogy, but for me is a cracker. Two hitmen break into Vinnys apartment and grab a journalist he was bonking for the night:

Reactions: Worried2Death

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Why would you point a prop gun and fire it at two of the crew?

Country of gun freak idiots, only in Merika

• Wow
Reactions: bruce

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
More of a TV show but its about movies. Anyone watch The Movies That Made Us on Netflix?

Some interesting stories on some big movies. Either change of actors, loss of funding.

A lot of them were going around waiting to be picked up for a while with weird titles.

Season 1 and 2 cover movies like Die Hard, Home Alone, Ghost Busters, Jurassic Park.

Season 3 has a few well known horror movies with Halloween, Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street. Then Aliens, Robocop and Coming to America.

• Love
Reactions: Lenrat and matiunz

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
I love WW2 movies !!!!

Midway coming to Netflix next week

• Wow
Reactions: snake77 and bruce

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
More of a TV show but its about movies. Anyone watch The Movies That Made Us on Netflix?

Some interesting stories on some big movies. Either change of actors, loss of funding.

A lot of them were going around waiting to be picked up for a while with weird titles.

Season 1 and 2 cover movies like Die Hard, Home Alone, Ghost Busters, Jurassic Park.

Season 3 has a few well known horror movies with Halloween, Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street. Then Aliens, Robocop and Coming to America.
Great show, did you watch the show it spun out off ’Toys that made us’?

Reactions: snake77

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Why would you point a prop gun and fire it at two of the crew?

Country of gun freak idiots, only in Merika

Without knowing the details it was most likely a down the barrel camera angle with the gun aimed towards the camera. In that scenario the two people in the firing line are the DP and director.

Have to question what the armourer was doing.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Without knowing the details it was most likely a down the barrel camera angle with the gun aimed towards the camera. In that scenario the two people in the firing line are the DP and director.

Have to question what the armourer was doing.
Every other time this happens e.g Brandon Lee, it is a colossal fuck up by the gun staff.

I am not a gun guy, but loaded, no matter what the round is, you do not point them at people, therefore people never die from mistakes.

In this day and age it is surely time to move away from Prop ammo.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Great show, did you watch the show it spun out off ’Toys that made us’?
Yeah love The Toys that Made Us. Got two young boys and the plan was to always give them my old toys so they had more to play with. Went to the toy stores and found the modern toys are all mass produced off movies. The 80s was a golden age for action figures. That led me to getting into action figure channels around toy collecting.

That was a great show. Liked the Masters of the Universe, GI Joe, Transformers, Star Wars and Wrestling episodes.

Star Wars was interesting with the toys making more than the movies. Then when Kenner stopped paying the money to Lucas as there wasn't any movies voiding the deal Lucas decides to make the sequels.

Transformers one made me laugh as Hasbro pretty much went over to Japan and got a few toy lines and brought them together, they sold so well they kept going back for more toy lines to bring back.

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Every other time this happens e.g Brandon Lee, it is a colossal fuck up by the gun staff.

I am not a gun guy, but loaded, no matter what the round is, you do not point them at people, therefore people never die from mistakes.

In this day and age it is surely time to move away from Prop ammo.

One of the cheapest and easiest effects now is to add a gun flash after the fact. There's really no need for prop bullets/blanks etc even if the director likes "authenticity".

Some will even add extra powder to get a stronger flash and more smoke. It's safe 99% of the time, but the 1% just isn't worth the risk when you can add it all in post without anybody being able to really tell the difference.

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Seems like Baldwin was rehearsing his scene when the gun went off.

There's talk about really bad working conditions and other "incidents" where the guns would discharge in an unsafe manner earlier in the shoot.

Sounds like a combination of overworked crew and lack of detail/safety. Pretty negligent.

Baldwin was told the gun was cold, but seeing as he's a producer it's going to be hard for him to avoid a large share of the blame. Safety/working conditions start with him.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Seems like Baldwin was rehearsing his scene when the gun went off.

There's talk about really bad working conditions and other "incidents" where the guns would discharge in an unsafe manner earlier in the shoot.

Sounds like a combination of overworked crew and lack of detail/safety. Pretty negligent.

Baldwin was told the gun was cold, but seeing as he's a producer it's going to be hard for him to avoid a large share of the blame. Safety/working conditions start with him.
Bit I don’t get is how it was the cinematographer and Director that got shot and not an actor or extra

Reactions: bruce