General Mount Smart Stadium Home Until 2028

snake77

snake77

I think Suncorp to the City is more like Carlaw Park. Also it was a league ground in the first place and therefore was sacred (don't mention the graveyard bit!!). Mount Wellington disagrees with me but they missed a chance with Carlaw Park. All this conjecture about a stadium on piles over the wharf sounds too expensive to me.

The places I reckon need to be on rock hard soil, so that is either railways land like in Wellington, Victoria Park or Tank Farm.
The Carlaw Park vs Mt Smart debate back in the day was again using Brisbane as a reference with the Broncos moving from Lang Park which was in need of work to ANZ. We seem to be always copying Brisbane / Broncos except for the winning consistently bit.;)

At the time the Broncos were getting huge crowds at ANZ so we copied them on a smaller scale. Of course those crafty Aussies look to have been rebuilding Lang Park into Suncorp during that time.

To me the CBD makes sense as all of your public transport needs to head in and out of the city to get the workforce in and out of the city throughout the week. So 40-60k on a Friday night or weekend shouldn't be an issue.

On your point about building on the wharf. Murray Deaker made that comment last time this came up. He said something like "you can't grow grass on concrete" or something about the water underneath. I made that comment to my brother in-law who used to be a green keeper and he seemed to think it wouldn't be an issue as they'd be able to control the environment a lot better.

I can't get him to clarify on that as he's now my ex-brother in law. But that's a story for another day/thread.:p

Reactions: 1 user
bruce

bruce

Contributor
At the time the Broncos were getting huge crowds at ANZ so we copied them on a smaller scale. Of course those crafty Aussies look to have been rebuilding Lang Park into Suncorp during that time.
That place had no atmosphere, the crowds were miles from the sidelines and it was in the wops Brisbane wise compared to Lang Park. I think the crowds were on the wane and like most of those Commonwealth Games stadiums was built on the cheap.

In comparison Mount Smart is in the suburbs but sort of close to the main transport routes and the original council spent money to give it the atmosphere it has now.

I don't think the Warriors are going to be in any panic over the new ground, but rugby supporters will be. That plastic covering on the grandstand won't last forever.

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

It then means a boutique stadium like Dunedin. The problem is they will want something for All Black tests which are big money spinners so a Suncorp design it has to be.

A roof is fine for the spectators but the players can get rained on, wind lashed and sunburnt - its supposed to be sport.

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

STADIUMPLANC.jpg

So lets think about this; by 2028 Eden Park will need major works to keep it open and the warriors lease on Mount Smart will be up for renewal. Surely, around 2020 there should be a discussion around;
1) Upgrading Western Springs so it can cater for all major cricket matches played in Auckland - the cost could be covered by the council but recouped by a fair lease to the cricket people (and by fair leases I mean ones which enable the council to maintain the stadium and pay back the interest and make a return on its investment)
2) Building a rectangular waterfront stadium of 50,000 seats - it could be designed to allow upper tiers to be opened as and when required - the cost should be covered by the council but recouped by fair leases to the Blues, Auckland Rugby, the NZRFU, the NZRL and the Warriors, plus one-off hires for football and concerts
3) Eden Park and Mount Smart could be sold off by the Eden Park Trust/council in 2029-30
4) QBE stays as is and a fair lease is negotiated with North Harbour Rugby and the Blues

Reactions: 2 users
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Growing up the iconic Rugby grounds were Carisbrook, Lancaster Park, Athletic Park, Eden Park and Carlaw Park. If Eden Park goes it will be missed nostalgia wise, but thats' all. We don't miss Carisbrook and Athletic Park, why, better stadia replaced them. Everything has a use by date.

The only thing Auckland can create is traffic jams it appears.

Reactions: 4 users

Marshthedarsh

In comparison Mount Smart is in the suburbs but sort of close to the main transport routes and the original council spent money to give it the atmosphere it has now.

MT Smart itself is a hole, but that's only because it's surrounded by industrial buildings and has that awful (yet nostalgic) smell.

In theory it could be done up into a lovely place to live with a shopping district and everything with proper transport routes. But that's not really going to happen. My prediction is that in 10 years time nothing will have changed. It certainly hasn't the past 10 years.

Sup42

Sup42

Waterfront Stadium.

Sell Mt Smart and QBE to pay for part of the cost of the new stadium.

We decry the foolish decisions of our Forefathers.

Do we want our descendants to decry the decisions we make now ?

We are the enlightened.

In one hundred years from now....our legacy....should we prove capable of thinking beyond our Jaffa limited life spans....could be on a par with other world nations that make progressive decisions.

It's hardly the three gorges Dam project is it ?

Aucklanders are retarded sheep fuckers in suits.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Waterfront Stadium.

We decry the foolish decisions of our Forefathers.

Do we want our descendants to decry the decisions we make now ?

We are the enlightened.

In one hundred years from now....our legacy....should we prove capable of thinking beyond our Jaffa limited life spans....could be on a par with other world nations that make progressive decisions.

It's hardly the three gorges Dam project is it ?

Aucklanders are fkn retarded sheep fuckers in suites.

Spoke to an Aussie couple yesterday, first time to NZ, really nice people. They love NZ but hated Auckland. They reckoned the traffic is at least as bad if not worse than Sydney and seemed really badly designed as a whole.

Reactions: 1 users
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Spoke to an Aussie couple yesterday, first time to NZ, really nice people. They love NZ but hated Auckland. They reckoned the traffic is at least as bad if not worse than Sydney and seemed really badly designed as a whole.

It's largely due to two things;
1) the previous make up of local councils making indepentant decisions about such things as local road development, stadium development etc without discussions with each other or the bodies responsible for public transport and national road and rail infrastructure (being regional council and central government respectively)
2) central government's insistence that Auckland should be treated the same way as the region's even though it houses 35% of the population and generate an even higher proportion of national GDP

The creation of the single Auckland Council and further devolution of power from Wellington will facilitate a more coordinated approach to the city's development going forward but we are stuck with what we inherited.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Waterfront Stadium.

Brilliant idea. Nobody is going to miss QBE, it should never have been built, many North Shore ratepayers were dead against it then because it was a white elephant. It is useless for anything. Blame the politicians with links to North Harbour Rugby.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
They obviously haven't been to Whangarei's western bypass.

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Brilliant idea. Nobody is going to miss QBE, it should never have been built, many North Shore ratepayers were dead against it then because it was a white elephant. It is useless for anything. Blame the politicians with links to North Harbour Rugby.

When do the council's agreements with the Blues and North Harbour for the use of CBE expire?

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

I saw the NZ football final between Auckland City and Team Wellington was played at CBE - I am pretty sure that the crowd would have fitted into Kiwitea Street, so the argument for football at North Harbour doesn't stack up.

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

I have no idea but I am sure the income doesn't pay the bills. Guess who used to be a general manager of the stadium?

Yeah, Scurrah - but it was built by the old North Shore council and the new council will have to honour it's contracts with rugby.

Miket12

Miket12

Yeah, Scurrah - but it was built by the old North Shore council and the new council will have to honour it's contracts with rugby.
One thing we can be thankful for - although they thought of a new stadium in Manukau (by the Vodafone Events Centre), neither the old Waitakere City or Manukau City Councils were dumb enough to build stadiums like QBE. Otherwise, we could now be looking at a larger, more expensive Trusts Stadium out west and a new "Steeler" Stadium in the south as well as Eden Park, Mt Smart and QBE plus Western Springs.