General Michael Luck - Warriors Player of the Year 2009

DanKokoro_old

It's a retarded selection. Vatuvei anyone?

Still tho dude, i dunno how making over 1000 tackles in a season makes Luck a hindrance. I agree he's a hindrance on Attack but on a whole I think he's an asset to the team.

KeepingTheFaith_old

He won the award because he made a lot of tackles. Regardless of whether they were effective, ignoring that he's a black hole in attack. Worst of all this will gaurantee his spot in the team for the next year and probably earn him a contract extension as one of our top earners.

Warriors need to keep moving forward as a club, and thwe game is moving towards an attack orientated style of football. Luck doesn't suit where the Warriors "should" be heading.

This annoys me a bit, concerns me a lot.

ToiletDuck_old

Manu should have won it, though it's hard to fault Luck's commitment...

I don't mind Luck, and I think some of the criticism is unwarranted. Noone has been complaining about him until this season, and he's not the one doing anything different (except perhaps getting a little over involved in attack).

I'm happy with him in the team, as long as find the right balance between workhorse and attacking backrower...

DanKokoro_old

He definitely needs to stop getting the ball so much on attack. ESPECIALLY close to the line because he will NEVER flop over. I think his passing game is decent. He should only be used to shift the ball wide, occasionally running it. I definitely cannot fault the mans commitment, determination, and competitiveness though. And i still think he's the kind of guy we need in the team, someone who won't go to sleep in the important/dying moments of a close game.

My fear is that so long as he remains in the team, he will always be used too much in attack. I have to say it really pisses me off when Luck makes hittups instead of someone like Ta'ai. Luck should just save his energy for defense and let the people who actually have an ounce of attacking ability take the line on.

Warrioraholic_old

Put the knifes back in the draw, Luck played his guts out every second he was on the field every week. He deserves this. Its not whos the most flashy player or who scored a great try to watch award. Congrats Luck on your award (even though I dont rate you as a player you have the heart of a warrior)

KeepingTheFaith_old

My fear is that so long as he remains in the team, he will always be used too much in attack. I have to say it really pisses me off when Luck makes hittups instead of someone like Ta'ai. Luck should just save his energy for defense and let the people who actually have an ounce of attacking ability take the line on.

Or we could just get players who have the ability to do both and then build a team around sharing the workload and actually working as a team instead of individuals with designated roles.

MarkW_old

Put the knifes back in the draw, Luck played his guts out every second he was on the field every week. He deserves this. Its not whos the most flashy player or who scored a great try to watch award. Congrats Luck on your award (even though I dont rate you as a player you have the heart of a warrior)

I second that congrats!

Lucky has worked his arse off this year for the team, he deserves a bit of recognition for it.

Spence_old

Was the award player of the year, or clubman of the year? Because clubman, to me, indicates off field commitment.

Jesbass_old

Player Of The Year: Micheal Luck (Other nominees: Sam Rapira, Manu Vatuvei)
Vodafone NRL Young Player of the Year: Russell Packer (Other nominees: Kevin Locke, Lewis Brown)
Canterbury of New Zealand Clubman of the Year: Sam Rapira
Vodafone One Tribe Supporters’ Player of the Year: Kevin Locke

Iafeta_old

I think Luck suffers only because of the similarities with th eother props and also because of the lack of offensive style in the team currently. If there's attacking strengths and tactics to exploit them, a guy like Luck can settle back wait for the ball to be turned over and work his freckle off. The problem is he has had to try and pick up some of the attacking slack because things have been horribly disjointed, and this has shown him up. I'd still say it was a very good year, but I'd add a year closer to him being not needed given the development of Mannering (surely he's a lock), Elijah Taylor and Daniel O'Regan. O'Regan and Taylor especially, they just have such nice ball skills that if you have the right structures in place they could do a lot of damage.

Nevertheless, can't fault his committment or effort.

The award that I feel proudest of though is Russell Packer getting Rookie of the Year. I know the clear favourite here was Locke, but TBH I forgot Packer was eligible, and he played such a significant portion of games this year and really the only reason he didn't dominate teams is because he put the offload away and then at times got lost in the muddle and didn't get the minutes he deserved. In some of our worst performances where the pack got rolled, invariably Packer was the one who stood up. Despite everything that went on this year, the good thing to come out of '09 was the continued development of Russell, the exposure of Locke, Ta'ai and Brown. I'd like to see Dan O'Regan find more time next year also.

warriors4life_old

Regardless of how hard Luck tried his heart out this year Manu deserved the award. I would definitely say he was far and away our best this year.

Jesbass_old

I think Luck suffers only because of the similarities with th eother props and also because of the lack of offensive style in the team currently. If there's attacking strengths and tactics to exploit them, a guy like Luck can settle back wait for the ball to be turned over and work his freckle off. The problem is he has had to try and pick up some of the attacking slack because things have been horribly disjointed, and this has shown him up. I'd still say it was a very good year, but I'd add a year closer to him being not needed given the development of Mannering (surely he's a lock), Elijah Taylor and Daniel O'Regan. O'Regan and Taylor especially, they just have such nice ball skills that if you have the right structures in place they could do a lot of damage.

Nevertheless, can't fault his committment or effort.

The award that I feel proudest of though is Russell Packer getting Rookie of the Year. I know the clear favourite here was Locke, but TBH I forgot Packer was eligible, and he played such a significant portion of games this year and really the only reason he didn't dominate teams is because he put the offload away and then at times got lost in the muddle and didn't get the minutes he deserved. In some of our worst performances where the pack got rolled, invariably Packer was the one who stood up. Despite everything that went on this year, the good thing to come out of '09 was the continued development of Russell, the exposure of Locke, Ta'ai and Brown. I'd like to see Dan O'Regan find more time next year also.

It wasn't rookie of the year - it was young player of the year. I don't know what age is the cut off, but I far prefer a young player of the year to a rookie of the year, because so often, players have half a dozen matches or less in their debut year.