General Matt Rua

Jesbass_old

Just wondering what people here think about former Kiwi Matt Rua making his return to NRL against us this weekend? He was training with us for a while last year or the year before, and there were many excited calls that he migh get signed by theWarriors. Sunday marks his first NRL match since 2002.

Mone_old

Yeah what was the story behind him giving the game away in the first place?
I'm definately interested in seeing him play, but more keen on seeing how Blair goes since coming back from injury.

Tajhay_old

im excited to see him play again. for all the young/new rugby league fans *cough* rua was regarded by his peers as the biggest hitter in the game when he was around.

he played for the rangers in the bartercard didnt he? how was he doing there?

Mone_old

Didnt know he was a big hitter I saw him as a grinder, yeah he was at Waitakere dont know how he went but it was weird how he makes the Kiwis then just disappeared and went to help out the Cookies, now back at the Storm.

Skinny_Ravs82

im excited to see him play again. for all the young/new rugby league fans *cough* rua was regarded by his peers as the biggest hitter in the game when he was around.

he played for the rangers in the bartercard didnt he? how was he doing there?
Oh thanks for that, it sort of rang a bell but couldn't recall. I think some onementioned him on here either earlier this year or last year. I heard about his time at the Storm but didn't know much else.

tHe_maC_old

Played in the '99 final and was rated as the hardest hitter in league, signed with the Raiders for the 2003 season but then retired because of personal problems without playing a game for them.

He trained with the Warriors a couple of seasons ago but nothing ever came of it, played Bartercard Cup and then decided to go back to Aussie and was picked up by the Storm again.

-Dr.J-_old

Ya he's too old now, about 29 I think. Before he was at the Storm (again) he was with us. Not missing too much nowadays.

playdaball_old

I thought he looked really good whilst at the Waitakiere team.

Like another ex Kiwi, Darrell Williams, he is an ex Waitemata Seagull.

commonsense_old

during his time i remember when u asked league players who the hardest hitters were they would say tonie carroll and matt rua.

but i dont think anyone can compare to adrian morley. i miss seeing that guy play.

Skinny_Ravs82

during his time i remember when u asked league players who the hardest hitters were they would say tonie carroll and matt rua.

but i dont think anyone can compare to adrian morley. i miss seeing that guy play.
Yeh he can really belt and you just see the force of it. I think it was an unfrotuante loss for the NRL when he left. Sure there are other guys but none of compare I reckon

Jesbass_old

Yeah, Rua was regularly called the NRL's hardest hitter. I saw photos of him training with our boys a year or two ago, and he looked pretty good. Not sure if he'll be up to the pace, though, because he's been out for five years, and it's even faster now than it was back in 2002.

Joe 90_old

For mine i'd say Tonnie Carroll would be the hardest tackler currently. Definitely technically. For those of us who can remember further back Trevor Gillmeister (the axe) had amazing power for such a small man as Paul Harragon could testify. Could also chuck in noted heavy hitters Dave (cement) Gillespie, Reuben Wiki plus the only guy i've seen intimidate Gordon Tallis, Jarred McCracken.

Skinny_Ravs82

Yep right you are Jes. Tis rather amazing to think how much the game continues to evolve. Anyway back to the point...lol. I'll be listening in to the game as per norm so it will be of real interest what the radio commentators have to say.

Joe 90_old

Just out of interest who would people rate as the fastest player in league. Doesn't have to be current.

I would have to say Brett Mullins.(93-94 i think). The guy was just untouchable then. Length of the field efforts, just needed half a gap and was gone. Real greyhound. I dont think i've seen any faster since but would be interesting to compare him to a Slater or Bowen and co.

raypower_old

Surely that would've been Lee Oudenryn, he won the fastest man in legue against Offiah back when he was at Parra.

Lot of good it did him too...

I used to love watching Mullins run though, he could tear it up...

I'm not just dropping names but Tate has amazing acceleration off the mark, I know it's different than raw pace but it's a sight to behold as Vuna could attest...

Skinny_Ravs82

I can't really remember Mullins. haha. of the current crop I reckon Slater's pretty good and Bowen (typical) but also Gasnier too.

Joe 90_old

ahh Lee Oudenflower forgot all about him. I remember that race. I think in a match with a ball in hand though and tryline in front i'd back Offiah. Geez, i seem to recall he once scored 10 tries in one match for Wigan or something absurd like that?