Player Matt Lodge

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
If this doesnt melt Wrighty Wrighty's cold heart, I don't know what will.

Well done big Ed ...got a bit of dust in my eyes, I'm not crying.
It shouldn't take Lodge to do the good will hunting "it's not your fault, ed, it's not your fault" Big Ken was written off as a plodder who couldn't play wing as well and he's still ticking along at the tigers. At least he gets his depth right on those rainbow passes, half our wings seem to be standing on top of there centre and it sails into touch

Last edited:
LODGE CAME CLOSE TO JOINING STORM

It has been revealed Matthew Lodge came close to rejoining his former club the Storm, before deciding to sign with the Roosters on a short term deal.
Lodge is up against the Storm this week which is interesting because not only is it his ex club, but he was very, very close to going back there,” Read said on Triple M.

“This year he was weighing up the Roosters and the Storm.
“I think he spoke to Craig Bellamy a couple of times.
“It went to the leadership group at the Storm as to whether they should bring him back or not.
“He was very close to going to Melbourne and he ended up going to the Roosters and he has been unbelievable for the Roosters.
“I don’t think everyone was in favour of it at the Storm.
“I don’t think everyone was on board, but it was very close to happening.
“He spoke to Craig a couple of times about actually going back there.”

Read revealed Lodge won’t have a value placed on him in the salary cap next year, which will make it easier for the Roosters to sign him long-term, with both parties keen to extend the marriage.
“The big thing now is whether the Roosters keep him for next year,” Read said.
“He had a notional value put on him by the NRL. That was $20,000 a game.
“The Roosters are not paying him much, but his value in the salary cap is a lot more than that. It ended up being $18,000 a game.
“But I don’t think there is a notional value put on him next year, so that makes it a lot easier if they want to keep him.
“He has been paid out by the Warriors, so he has got his money for next year from the Warriors.

“I think the Roosters are keen to keep him if they can and Lodge is keen to stay so that is a good starting point.”

The 27-year-old has scored five tries in 96 games for the Tigers, Broncos, Warriors and Roosters since his NRL debut in 2014.

I found the bolded part interesting…. The last two articles Ive read about him suggest he’s been paid out already- worded in past tense.
I’m pretty sure George or alpha also mentioned at the time that it wouldn’t effect our salary cap for next year?

If that was the case and we had somehow paid him out for next year from this years cap that would mean we still had some notes to spend….

That reads like it is off this years cap. Same concept they have been trying to explain to drunk Rothfield on NRL360 about the Tigers releasing players to free up cap space for next year.

Have to question what we were told about his contract as we were told next year was a player option. That shouldn't of required any payment from our end unless he said he'd activate it which we never heard. The next point in our favour even if he activated it he'd have to move to NZ. If he didn't want to do that you'd expect we shouldn't of had to pay.

Really begs the question how was his contract structured?

LODGE CAME CLOSE TO JOINING STORM

It has been revealed Matthew Lodge came close to rejoining his former club the Storm, before deciding to sign with the Roosters on a short term deal.
Lodge is up against the Storm this week which is interesting because not only is it his ex club, but he was very, very close to going back there,” Read said on Triple M.

“This year he was weighing up the Roosters and the Storm.
“I think he spoke to Craig Bellamy a couple of times.
“It went to the leadership group at the Storm as to whether they should bring him back or not.
“He was very close to going to Melbourne and he ended up going to the Roosters and he has been unbelievable for the Roosters.
“I don’t think everyone was in favour of it at the Storm.
“I don’t think everyone was on board, but it was very close to happening.
“He spoke to Craig a couple of times about actually going back there.”

Read revealed Lodge won’t have a value placed on him in the salary cap next year, which will make it easier for the Roosters to sign him long-term, with both parties keen to extend the marriage.
“The big thing now is whether the Roosters keep him for next year,” Read said.
“He had a notional value put on him by the NRL. That was $20,000 a game.
“The Roosters are not paying him much, but his value in the salary cap is a lot more than that. It ended up being $18,000 a game.
“But I don’t think there is a notional value put on him next year, so that makes it a lot easier if they want to keep him.
“He has been paid out by the Warriors, so he has got his money for next year from the Warriors.

“I think the Roosters are keen to keep him if they can and Lodge is keen to stay so that is a good starting point.”

The 27-year-old has scored five tries in 96 games for the Tigers, Broncos, Warriors and Roosters since his NRL debut in 2014.

I found the bolded part interesting…. The last two articles Ive read about him suggest he’s been paid out already- worded in past tense.
I’m pretty sure George or alpha also mentioned at the time that it wouldn’t effect our salary cap for next year?

If that was the case and we had somehow paid him out for next year from this years cap that would mean we still had some notes to spend….
No way Storm was an option. For so many reasons. Bellyache isn't stupid & Lodge was let go for a reason, there's no going back there for someone with his baggage. Smokes and mirrors from him and media.

No way Storm was an option. For so many reasons. Bellyache isn't stupid & Lodge was let go for a reason, there's no going back there for someone with his baggage. Smokes and mirrors from him and media.
you think he gives a shit about off field baggage its on field where it matters

I know Lodge was still here when we got stomped on and spat out on ANZAC Day. But it still seems to me him leaving had a big impact on our season or can be deemed as a turning point.

While he was here if Addin Fonua-Blake was injured we had someone that could provide cover. Now when Addin Fonua-Blake is out we are considerably weaker.

Also when they were both on the field where were a lot different side.

He left under weird/vague circumstances. The playing rugby didn't last very long. Instead he ended up getting a bit more money (along with our payout) and signing with the Roosters.

It is a bit tough to take instead of hearing about his combination with Addin Fonua-Blake we hear about his combination at the Rooster and JWH and how they lay a great platform for the side. He's now been moved on from the Broncos and Warriors.

The reasoning for his leaving is also vague from his side.

Last time Lodge spoke on it he went on about his brother in law and father in law leaving the club like there was some sort of effort to move them both on.

Sean O'Sullivan was a fringe first grader and we had Johnson coming in. Peter O'Sullivan resigned to go to another club.

He also said he didn't want to be like a pack leader here. You could easily argue Addin Fonua-Blake was leading things and he was looking good on the back of that.

For a guy with his history he has managed to play the system and end up getting the better of things. It will be interesting to see down the track when he needs to re-negotiate with the Roosters. Will get decent money or end up having a reason to move on.

Was it just me or were the storm going out of their way to give him some treatment last night? I know it was a spiteful game but he seemed to be getting some extra attention which was interesting after that article came out during the week that the Melbourne players didn’t want him at the storm.
Still had a good game though- the roosters are certainly getting our money’s worth :banghead:

Was it just me or were the storm going out of their way to give him some treatment last night? I know it was a spiteful game but he seemed to be getting some extra attention which was interesting after that article came out during the week that the Melbourne players didn’t want him at the storm.
Still had a good game though- the roosters are certainly getting our money’s worth :banghead:
Probably just targeting him as they knew he is prone to being a hot head.

He might just win a comp now eh? The closest we can get to a title - paying for player in a contender team.

The Warriors paying for him next year too! Nice of Mohawk to do that 🤣

To save the Recruitment Thread for potential arrivals and not this departure I'll put this here.

Like a lot of clubs signing Lodge we all debated if he was the sort of character we want at our club due to his past.

He was out of the game due to the incident in America.

But do you think with the Broncos contract and pay out and now moving on from the Warriors that he has managed to make up his lost income? If he has he and his management have played the system well. But also it doesn't say much for the punishment.

I saw an article posted somewhere yesterday where Lodge has stated Kevin Walters didn't want him at the Broncos and tried to move him on straight away.

I wouldn't be surprised if he comes out with more about his exit from the Warriors. The only statements so far have been trying to insinuate that the Warriors were trying to get rid of his family. His father in-law resigned to go to the Dolphins and his brother in-law got squeezed out as we signed a halfback.

For a guy who terrorised people in a drunken rampage he has managed to end up the victim.

The concerns Walters had was fair enough as like when he signed here and when he signs anywhere there will be concerns about his past and if he will fit in to a clubs culture.

I get the mentoring bit with JWH if you take Lodge by his word that JWH has reached out to him etc. Addin Fonua-Blake may have thought he didn't need a cuddle.

I know he's going well at the Roosters but his form isn't that different to his time here. He's also said he didn't want to be a front-row leader or something like he had to be at the Broncos or Warriors. The Broncos had Haas and we have Addin Fonua-Blake. Last year he was getting the advantage of running after Addin Fonua-Blake. His form was better this year but I wouldn't say he was all on his own as a front rower while he was here.

Reactions: crump81 and Damo