Player Matt Lodge

There must be a reason for the immediate part. Even if he signed with another club wouldn't it be too late for him to be named to play this weekend?

I can't recall the timing of Nikorima being released and named for Souths. Even if it was the same week or not (can't be bothered looking suffering from man flu).

Unless there is an indiscretion about to be announced you would have thought it would of been better for him to play this week and get release after the game or on Monday.

Perhaps Lodge couldn't get a visa to enter New Zealand due to his violent past.
This exact thought crossed my mind but then why release him now rather than use him for the rest of season and miss those 4 games in NZ. Could have easily faked injury during training if they didn't want it to be public info.
Or at the very least announce it now and release him a week before nz game while finding a replacement.

There must be a reason for the immediate part. Even if he signed with another club wouldn't it be too late for him to be named to play this weekend?

I can't recall the timing of Nikorima being released and named for Souths. Even if it was the same week or not (can't be bothered looking suffering from man flu).

Unless there is an indiscretion about to be announced you would have thought it would of been better for him to play this week and get release after the game or on Monday.
Yeah it simply has to be either

A. Somethings happened behind the scenes and the situation is untenable

B. Hes a straight swap for a player either coming next year or a new signing

C. Were just the ‘good guys’ doing what the player wants and shooting ourselves in the foot.

Not a good look for the club if it is anything but option B. For all the wins in recruitment over the last 12 months this is a really bad 24 hours alongside the Chanel Harris-Tavita stalemate

If our go forward was screwed before it will be hard work now.

We look good with Addin Fonua-Blake and Lodge on the field or at least one of them. Things trail off when those two come off.

His signing created a lot of discussion due to his past. Last year was frustrating with the penalties and suspensions but a lot of those were his reputation not the incident.

Overall it's been great having him in the side giving us grunt up front and some aggression.

He was open he was likely not going to come back to New Zealand with the club. How long would we have looked at signing him for? I think he's 31 and I know modern training and nutrition guys can play on but he would be getting up there in age.

There is definitely more to this than what we are being told. Name a player on a Tuesday to play, then a day before the game he is released, something is not right.
Most definitely. Even with the Kodi release there were reports and rumors at least a few days beforehand.
This is completely out of the blue and a player we need at the moment. If they had released him after the game i could understand. There's no chance they could get a player swap done and that player plays this weekend as not in the team list.

Last edited:
Yeah it simply has to be either

A. Somethings happened behind the scenes and the situation is untenable

B. Hes a straight swap for a player either coming next year or a new signing

C. Were just the ‘good guys’ doing what the player wants and shooting ourselves in the foot.

Not a good look for the club if it is anything but option B. For all the wins in recruitment over the last 12 months this is a really bad 24 hours alongside the Chanel Harris-Tavita stalemate
‘A’