General Matt Checchin retiring

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Kinda crazy how candid he's being on the way out. Literally saying refs are heavily influenced by certain players and teams. Also the off field relationship the refs have with players has to be questioned as well? sounds very fan boyish.
Sean Fitzpatrick was a shocker. I heard Paddy O'Brien, an excellent referee, talk once.

It was one of his first provincial games and Fitzy came up to him before the game and introduced himself and complimented him for being fellow Irish.

During the game he gave Paddy a running commentary about how Paddy was doing.

Then Paddy made a call that favoured Fitz. The cheeky bastard had the cheek to wink at him and tell him he got it wrong.

When Fitz retired he got a reception in many places, one was in Oz where a famous Oz referee (name forgotten) presented him a plaque and said shut up and go back your 10...and he didn't smile!!!

Reactions: wizards rage

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Aug 26, 2017
Auckland
Always thought Cecchin was one of the better refs. Refs get too much shit, when fans just need to admit their own team was crap. Sometimes refs get it wrong for sure, but it is a super high pressure role, and I think they are allowed to make the odd error. Teams just need to be better at not putting themselves in crap positions to start with.

Reactions: bruce and Cces

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
Always thought Cecchin was one of the better refs. Refs get too much shit, when fans just need to admit their own team was crap. Sometimes refs get it wrong for sure, but it is a super high pressure role, and I think they are allowed to make the odd error. Teams just need to be better at not putting themselves in crap positions to start with.
I can tolerate mistakes from refs but am less tolerant with the Bunker. As a small snap shot there were over 130 mistakes (errors, missed tackles, ineffective tackles, penalties, 6-Agains) in the match with Canberra. That's more than 3 mistakes per player yet most fans can't forgive 1 mistake by a referee

Last edited:
Reactions: Kestrel84

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings