General Matt Checchin retiring

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
But you have accurate when it was appropriate.
There was a top yawnion referee called Eddie Pennell, actually an ex first grade league player. He was very fit and missed nothing.

He earned the nickname Eddie Penalty.

As TV became more of a thing he got very unpopular with the administration.
His argument was I have to be fair to both sides, if I see a penalty I call it.

Who can argue with that?

Also, I have to add, that the top referees I knew like John Percival mainly ignored the biff. He allowed one square up and that was it.

He was also one of the first to start ignoring scrum penalties.

Otherwise John refereed to the book, a lovely guy.

Reactions: demco

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
I can't think of another sport that actively stops a ref from calling it as they see it.

Sports officiating is usually black and white, water tight. I have a mate who is a professional cricket umpire, he does well because he has such a literal and pedantic outlook on playing sport. Great for an umpire, a nightmare when playing with him in my twilight cricket team! The ridiculously obscure stuff he is expected to know is mind boggling. Cricket has a black and white rule for absolutely everything (Even World Cup finals). Granted umpires have more time to ponder their thoughts, but they have a strict framework to fall back on and they are expected to pull everything up and to get it right.

I watched my first game of rugby in ages a few weeks ago (well part of one is all I could manage), and was pretty impressed with how well the refs communicate with the players. Rugby is way more complicated than league at the breakdown, scrums etc when there are so many vagaries and dark arts hidden from view, but they seem to get it right a lot of the time. Even if they don't, at least they are always making the calls. A rugby ref doesn't decide to put away penalties for the last 20 minutes to put on a spectacle.

This is all a bit embarrassing for league really.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
fkn good riddance
Most referees I have met are actually very nice guys.

Although from what little I have seen of Tony Archer he is just a wanker.

It is a very difficult job. I used to ref schoolboy games and it was a real chore, especially with the psycho parents on the sideline.

Dave could do a thesis on those wankers.

One told me referees have to back themselves, and although they are human and make mistakes, they have to believe they know best.

An Oz lower grade referee I spoke to explained how the NSWRL system works. It is highly political and really rewards arse lickers as much as talent.

So the decent guys, and I believe Checcin is a decent guy have a lot to deal with to make the NRL.

Reactions: Ever Hopeful

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I’ll always treasure the time he sent Cam Smith to the sin bin. I always rated him as a ref although I think he had slipped a bit this season. Good luck to him in his future endeavors.
Apart from all the politics they need to be super human in terms of fitness.

Periods of elevated HR extended for between five sec and eight min at a time, and were further characterised as a typical cyclic wave of HR elevation and recovery (ranging from 99.2+/-12.4 beats.minute(-1) to 176.5+/-11.8 beats.minute(-1) [mean +/-95% CI]), with a work to rest ratio of 2:1.

Just imagine having a heart rate over 160 and also having to argue with an arsehole like Cam Smith.

Not for me, nor most people

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Any Referee in any sport is out there because it is believed that he/she is qualified and has the skills to handle the game.

So reaches NRL and is given an earpiece. He has the Bunker, the Touchies, a Ref advisor, probably media as well.

It is all backwards. He should be able to concentrate on the game without that. He should be able to seek their advice if he considers he needs it.

Take the Manu/Mitchell incident, If the field Refs miss it, so what, it can be put on report later (as actually happened)

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Any Referee in any sport is out there because it is believed that he/she is qualified and has the skills to handle the game.
They have to handle the politics as well.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
They have to handle the politics as well.

My understanding is those Ref politics are in every code. I saw good Refs miss out because they wouldn't 'play the game' The worst thing is that those who have a 'feel' for the game, and players enjoy being reffed by do not make it.

League has an issue that other codes don't have as bad. Refs who showboat.

Dixpat

All in the Brown stuff!
Contributor
Feb 3, 2014
Auckland
I can't think of another sport that actively stops a ref from calling it as they see it.
I’m not sure that is correct.

Take Union as an example- a ref at the top level will only call an offence if that offence was material.

I’m a member of a world wide Union ref’s forum and the constant criticism of those ref’ing “entertainment“ rugby (that is top level TV rugby) by fellow refs who ref lower level out in the weeds is that the elite overlook the basics of the rule book and as a consequence it creates real difficulties for them e.g. they whistle for ball not straight into the scrum and get chipped by the players “c’mon ref they are allowed to do that in the big games”

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Bowden is a good Umpire and respected as such by players and pundits.
o_O...I thought he was regarded as a joke. The Aussies loved him because he sucked up to them and asked for their autographs

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
He always seemed to umpire the big games though.
Cos he was a Kiwi.

My sources tell me he was generally regarded as an over rated showboat.

Mind you some of the others are pretty ordinary.

The English always seem to be the best and most consistent. Paul Reiffel from Queensland has proven pretty good, especially for an Aussie.

Reactions: Rick O'Shay

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
Often criticised for his engagement with referees, retired great Cameron Smith was one of those players that Cecchin often had to deal with, and he explained how the former Storm captain went about speaking to officials on SEN 1170 Mornings.

“He (Smith) is certainly one of the most intelligent players I’ve ever refereed,” Cecchin said.

“The thing with Cameron – he did get a lot of air time with referees – but he did it in a way that he’d come and talk to you on the field and you’d feel like pausing the game, ordering a couple of coffees or a couple of beers to have a chat about it.

“He was really engaging, not in a nasty, ‘You stuffed that up’ way, but he would say, ‘Cech, I agree with that penalty, but can you keep an eye on this guy? He’s always seems to get caught in there and we’re not really locking it in’.

“Your mind starts to go, ‘Maybe he’s right?’, he was very, very, engaging and very clever with how he did things

“Off the field, you’d speak to him about the game, he just knew it in such complexity, it was incredible.”

Cecchin will referee his last game in Saturday night’s Rabbitohs v Dragons clash on the

Kinda crazy how candid he's being on the way out. Literally saying refs are heavily influenced by certain players and teams. Also the off field relationship the refs have with players has to be questioned as well? sounds very fan boyish.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings