Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
I was on the RV bandwagon early and felt (defence aside which was a work on) he had some footie smarts and a good boot to get us round the paddock.

The smarts bit has gone down the toilet with his present situation. He and or his manager took a punt and lost. Oh well, so sad, never mind. I do wonder though whether his wanting out was maybe more of a homesickness thing rather than a desire to quickly get higher in the FG pecking order elsewhere.

Good luck Ronnie

I was on the RV bandwagon early and felt (defence aside which was a work on) he had some footie smarts and a good boot to get us round the paddock.

The smarts bit has gone down the toilet with his present situation. He and or his manager took a punt and lost. Oh well, so sad, never mind. I do wonder though whether his wanting out was maybe more of a homesickness thing rather than a desire to quickly get higher in the FG pecking order elsewhere.

Good luck Ronnie
I think Rick we all had high hopes given his promise shown in Cup comps.
We have had dozens of homegrown guys who showed the same promise and never kicked on. We have consistently struggled with halves coming through our domestic systems.
Some have it and some don't.
Unfortunately

If you live in Auckland then take a drive out to one of the poorer suburbs and have a look around. Then decide if Ronald Volkman is really doing it tough.

And the kids in Africa with dirt water and no would be dreaming about how good the kids in low-income Auckland have it? It's all relative.

Besides, My point was not about giving him a salary because RV lost out on X amount of money. If that is what you took out of what I said then I guess we'll just leave it there.

And the kids in Africa with dirt water and no would be dreaming about how good the kids in low-income Auckland have it? It's all relative.

Besides, My point was not about giving him a salary because RV lost out on X amount of money. If that is what you took out of what I said then I guess we'll just leave it there.
Why don’t you explain what it was you meant with your post then because you directly refer to him losing out on money.

Why don’t you explain what it was you meant with your post then because you directly refer to him losing out on money.

My first post was about it was saying I hope we give him an opportunity somewhere in the organisation, to keep him in a team environment because he will definitely be in a dark place right now. I mentioned the money he has lost out on to emphasise that.

Supporting him as a person, as opposed to financially

I will add that I wouldn't suggest this in most other circumstances, but it is a particularly extraordinary situation he is now in

My first post was about it was saying I hope we give him an opportunity somewhere in the organisation, to keep him in a team environment because he will definitely be in a dark place right now. I mentioned the money he has lost out on to emphasise that.

Supporting him as a person, as opposed to financially

I will add that I wouldn't suggest this in most other circumstances, but it is a particularly extraordinary situation he is now in
Have we had confirmation that he hadn’t actually signed a contract with the Dragons? Because if he had then, irrespective of whether or not it had been lodged with the NRL, surely the Dragons would still have to pay him out. The only benefit to them would be that it wouldn’t count against their salary cap.

I am just repeating my earlier post but feel suddenly overwhelmed with a surge of feelings to come online and post a second time that this really sucks for Ronald and his whanau. What terrible terrible bad luck. I am sorry this has happened Ronald I really am.

He was named in Kiwis A squad at the end of the year. Did he end up playing? Seems strange as he is a proud Qlder and spoken about it a few times.
Seemed like a bit coup with a couple that represented NZa, Trey Mooney has represented nsw age group origin like Te Kura for queensland.

In the meantime they need cash for a decent half. They're in crisis, and with Flanno's track record of treating the rules as mere suggestions I wouldn't be surprised if Ronnie picked up a shoulder injury in training and they've found some "pre-existing injury" to get him off their cap. Pure conjecture of course, Flannagan wouldn't do that really...
Couldn’t Flanno just organise some “special supplements“ for Volkman?

If we have released him by mutual decision. Ie he asked and we said ok. Then there would be a process to go through, release documents to sign, communication of that to the NRL etc etc. As long as the club has done that, I agree with you. No way should we be giving up cap space or a roster spot. Be interesting to see what the RLPA and the NRL have to say about it. From what I read it sounds like he has a signed contract with the Dragons but it hasn't been lodged with the NRL yet. Is that the clubs responsibility to do? Assuming the contract has been signed, I don't think the Dragons can get out of it unless there is some medical clause in there, but I would think that's up to the club and their medical team to do the due diligence.

I like Volkman.

I feel bad for him.

Sounds like he took a gamble and lost
He/His management asked for a release. He was banking on getting release out of his 2 year contract with the Warriors to sign on with the Dragons for only a year to prove his worth. He was already taking a big gamble and by all accounts was already looking for a move away from the Warriors and not intending to stay on for the 2 years. Given he was already training with the Dragons and had sought the release himself, IMO it goes into the unlucky basket. I dont believe the Warriors should be held to account for his salary on our books given his release was already signed by both parties.

Agreed.

I would add the Dragons did nothing wrong either.

Volkman like many of us was probably given a prognosis of wait and see.

He is no idiot.

Seems clear he needed to go home no matter the outcome for his own reasons.

I like Volkman.

I feel bad for him.

Sounds like he took a gamble and lost

Agreed.

I would add the Dragons did nothing wrong either.

Volkman like many of us was probably given a prognosis of wait and see.

He is no idiot.

Seems clear he needed to go home no matter the outcome for his own reasons.
Kind of Agree, only St George allowed RV to participate in contract training before finalising their due diligence and that alone muddies the waters significantly! amateur hour at its finest.
Based on the limited knowledge I have of the situation I can’t see how the Warriors have any responsibility in this, apart from an emotional one. Very sad for RV, unbelievable a player finds themselves in such a position.

Last edited:
Back