General Warriors Preseason 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's facts that we came 3rd in a competition with 16 teams. While this was a great achievement for perennial underachievers and we, as dedicated fans, should celebrate it, it is just a step in the right direction and IMHO not worthy of a national award.
All Whites won the Supreme Award for finishing 3rd out of 4 teams in their group and not qualifying for the knock out stage of a World Cup.

The Warriors have already beaten out some nominees who came first / won medals in the respective pursuits.

Both these examples clearly indicate that the Halberg judges are judging on criteria other than just winning a trophy.

It's facts that we came 3rd in a competition with 16 teams. While this was a great achievement for perennial underachievers and we, as dedicated fans, should celebrate it, it is just a step in the right direction and IMHO not worthy of a national award.
We came 4th. Which really bugs me.

We shouldn’t have rested players and tried to win every game including the last game against the Dolphins.

Finishing 4th instead of 3rd is going to be part of our history and bug me every time I see it. 3rd is so much better!

Is what it is now though I suppose.

We came 4th. Which really bugs me.

We shouldn’t have rested players and tried to win every game including the last game against the Dolphins.

Finishing 4th instead of 3rd is going to be part of our history and bug me every time I see it. 3rd is so much better!

Is what it is now though I suppose.
I tell people we came 3rd equal as we were one of the four teams who made the preliminary finals

All Whites won the Supreme Award for finishing 3rd out of 4 teams in their group and not qualifying for the knock out stage of a World Cup.

The Warriors have already beaten out some nominees who came first / won medals in the respective pursuits.

Both these examples clearly indicate that the Halberg judges are judging on criteria other than just winning a trophy.
I think it's the "From Out Of Nowhere!" aspect that helps the Warriors.
Still get a giggle reading predictions for 2023 where most people had us at best fighting to avoid and at worst dead set getting the wooden spoon.

They should rename the Halbergs the "New Zealand Colonial British Empire elitist class system awards".
They basically give it to sports from the English private Schools (they call them public schools).

King Charles would be proud of all the Rugby, Rowing, Sailing, Cricket, golf, Equestrian, squash, Tennis, Skiing winners wot wot.

Great thing about most of those sports is poor people can't even access them 🙄
So, let's have no sports at all, then...

Can't help but notice you don't mention league, but that seriously isn't a "working class" game. Not at any serious level. In what alternative reality is $120,000 - the NRL minimum (so if you're Top 30, this is your base salary, I guess, to play NSW/QLD Cup level) - working man's money?

The only way to achieve what you want is to make the Halbergs only for totally amateur sports. It's not just the equipment needed to participate (basketball and a hoop for instance), it's the training etc and the allure of NBA etc that flat out is planned so poor people get tossed aside so those who have the money to spend on everything involved in their sport (which flows upwards to NBA, EPL etc etc) including transport and time (or the nerve to sacrifice alternatives to get that) get to shine.

Last edited:
So only 20 mins max? I would have thought more for Barnett? Tohu could go in the middle for 20 although that's not how I would like Tohu to play.
I’m assuming AFB & Tohu play 60, Barnett 40. But AFB does two stints. First & last 30. Niukore comes on final 10 of 1st half, plays middle for 10 each side of half, then could come off for 10, back on to cover one of our edges. He’s versatile. But yes, could be Barnett, but our biggest issue was when AFB comes off. I’m secretly hoping jazz returns with a Bang & him and Walker carry the momentum. He had a very disrupted year & has acknowledged it in his post, “come back season”

I’m assuming AFB & Tohu play 60, Barnett 40. But AFB does two stints. First & last 30. Niukore comes on final 10 of 1st half, plays middle for 10 each side of half, then could come off for 10, back on to cover one of our edges. He’s versatile. But yes, could be Barnett, but our biggest issue was when AFB comes off. I’m secretly hoping jazz returns with a Bang & him and Walker carry the momentum. He had a very disrupted year & has acknowledged it in his post, “come back season”
Walker must come on at lock forward so tohu must go front row at some stage. Again webby has so many options.

I just wanna speak on two things in this vid, we've talked about before.

• Jazz says "under pressure you fall back to your training" so true. Rising to the occasion is a myth, you resort to your base level of competence
  • He says " you can trust the blokes around you". High trust individuals are far more important to teams success than high performance individuals.
hot tips for anyone looking to lead a small team.

NRL: Kiwi cult hero Valynce Te Whare saves career with gutbusting weight loss regime

NRL cult hero Valynce Te Whare has seemingly saved his flagging career with a gutbusting weight-loss regime that saw him shed almost 10kg over the Christmas-New Year break.
The Waikato-born and raised centre made a sensational debut for the Brisbane-based Dolphins with a try double against Cronulla Sharks in May 2023 and went on to make 12 appearances, scoring six tries, for the season.
Weighing in at about 120kg, he earned the nickname 'Val Meninga', compared to Aussie league legend and current Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga, but drew the ire of supercoach Wayne Bennett, when he turned up to a pre-season bootcamp even further out of condition.

"We all see his potential," Bennett observed last season. "He's got to lose a bit of weight and commit himself to his diet."
Word from across the Tasman is Te Whare, 23, has been welcomed back to the Dolphins, after an intensive programme that has reduced his weight closer to 110kg.
"He came to me around 122-123kg and he weight in this week at just under 114kg, so he lost about nine kilos," boxing trainer Mark 'Chopper' Burgess told News Corp.
"He has changed his mindset completely. I couldn't believe he was the same bloke who came to me last month - it's impressive.

"Talking to Wayne, he is ecstatic with Val's weight."
Te Whare, a former King Country and Waikato rugby representative, returned to New Zealand over the holidays, regularly tramping and cycling, while sticking to strict eating guidelines.

"Nothing out-trains a bad diet," said Burgess. "We had a saying - 'no carbs after 7 or you go to heaven', so Val really overhauled his diet.
"He's been prepared to take advice and he has made a genuine effort to lose weight."
Upon returning to Australia, Te Whare has fallen under the guidance of a support team that includes Kiwis legend Stephen Kearney.
"Val is really humble," said Burgess. "Initially, I had my doubts, as did a lot of people, but we've invested the time into Val and he's responded.
"He just has to maintain his attitude now and he has the talent to do anything in rugby league."

So, let's have no sports at all, then...

Can't help but notice you don't mention league, but that seriously isn't a "working class" game. Not at any serious level. In what alternative reality is $120,000 - the NRL minimum (so if you're Top 30, this is your base salary, I guess, to play NSW/QLD Cup level) - working man's money?

The only way to achieve what you want is to make the Halbergs only for totally amateur sports. It's not just the equipment needed to participate (basketball and a hoop for instance), it's the training etc and the allure of NBA etc that flat out is planned so poor people get tossed aside so those who have the money to spend on everything involved in their sport (which flows upwards to NBA, EPL etc etc) including transport and time (or the nerve to sacrifice alternatives to get that) get to shine.

Agree to disagree old chap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back