Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:

NRL market watch: Dragons sign Ronald Volkman from Warriors, Dolphins poach Junior Tupou from Tigers | Daily Telegraph​

St George Illawarra have signed Warriors half Ronald Volkman in an immediate deal.
The two parties agreed to a contract on Friday with Volkman to link up with the Dragons for 2024.

It is understood the deal is just for 12 months. The Dragons needed some cover in the halves, with Talatau Amone set to have his NRL contract deregistered.

Volkman, 21, has played five games since making his debut from the Warriors last year.

Warriors youngster Ronald Volkman will join the Dragons immediately. Picture: NRL Imagery

Warriors youngster Ronald Volkman will join the Dragons immediately. Picture: NRL Imagery
Meanwhile the Wests Tigers have suffered a blow, with talented youngster Junior Tupou agreeing to join the Dolphins in 2025 on a three year deal. Tupou made his international debut for Tonga in 2023, playing against England in October.

DRAGONS IDENTIFY TWO NEW TARGETS AFTER AFB BLINDSIDE

Paul Crawley

Shane Flanagan says St George Illawarra has already “moved on” from the disappointment of missing out on gun prop Addin Fonua-Blake, adamant “there will be other opportunities over the next 12 months”.

The Fonua-Blake blow came on the same day the Dragons missed out on Tom Dearden, who recommitted to the Cowboys on a five-year extension.

Flanagan said while missing out on Fonua-Blake was setback, the focus now was on the future.

“Of course we are disappointed but that’s the game we are in,” Flanagan said. “We have moved on already.

“There will be other options over the next 12 months ... our focus now is getting ready for season ‘24.

Addin Fonua-Blake will join the Cronulla Sharks in 2025. Photo by Fiona Goodall/Getty Images

Addin Fonua-Blake will join the Cronulla Sharks in 2025. Photo by Fiona Goodall/Getty Images
“The team has trained at an elite level for eight weeks and we break for Christmas knowing we have achieved our physical performance goals.”

The Dragons are also chasing a backrower, with Cowboys pair Heilum Luki and teenage tearaway Kulikefu Finefeuiaki identified as two potential targets.

While the Dragons were thought to be the favourites to land Fonua-Blake for the 2025 season, the Warriors prop made the shock call this week to take up a four-year deal at Cronulla worth around $1m-a-season.

The fact the Sharks are considered in a better position to seriously challenge for the premiership was said to be a significant factor in Fonua-Blake’s decision.

Shane Flanagan is refusing to get bogged down in what could have been for the Dragons. Picture: Richard Dobson

Shane Flanagan is refusing to get bogged down in what could have been for the Dragons. Picture: Richard Dobson
Foxsports00:27

Dragons miss out on young gun Dearden​

UP NEXT
  • 1dc9cdfb1e135369d7acf9602205a328

00:27
    Addin Fonua-Blake signs to Cronulla Sharks for 2025
  • Papenhuyzen heartbroken after new injury
  • New Tigers CEO praises Jarome Luai
  • Hunt back & motivated with the Red V
  • Mann excited for senior role at Bulldogs
  • NRL becomes partners with UFC
  • Des Hasler making early Gold Coast Titans impact
NRL: Tom Dearden has re-signed with the Cowboys on a huge five year deal after the Dragons were a chance of landing the young superstar.
Yet it is also just another indication of the challenge facing Flanagan when it comes to trying to attract big name recruits to a club that has not played finals football since 2018.

Dearden was always considered a long shot to leave the Cowboys where he has now committed to until 2029.

The other concern for the Dragons would be what impact missing out on Fonua-Blake and Dearden potentially has on Ben Hunt’s future.

Despite initially chasing an immediate release, Hunt has now agreed to at least see out 2024.

But Flanagan said in recent days that he was confident the Dragons skipper has bought into the changes at the club and that Hunt would be there for 2025 as well.

NRL market watch: Dragons sign Ronald Volkman from Warriors, Dolphins poach Junior Tupou from Tigers | Daily Telegraph​

St George Illawarra have signed Warriors half Ronald Volkman in an immediate deal.
The two parties agreed to a contract on Friday with Volkman to link up with the Dragons for 2024.

It is understood the deal is just for 12 months. The Dragons needed some cover in the halves, with Talatau Amone set to have his NRL contract deregistered.

Volkman, 21, has played five games since making his debut from the Warriors last year.

Meanwhile the Wests Tigers have suffered a blow, with talented youngster Junior Tupou agreeing to join the Dolphins in 2025 on a three year deal. Tupou made his international debut for Tonga in 2023, playing against England in October.

DRAGONS IDENTIFY TWO NEW TARGETS AFTER AFB BLINDSIDE

Paul Crawley

Shane Flanagan says St George Illawarra has already “moved on” from the disappointment of missing out on gun prop Addin Fonua-Blake, adamant “there will be other opportunities over the next 12 months”.

The Fonua-Blake blow came on the same day the Dragons missed out on Tom Dearden, who recommitted to the Cowboys on a five-year extension.

Flanagan said while missing out on Fonua-Blake was setback, the focus now was on the future.

“Of course we are disappointed but that’s the game we are in,” Flanagan said. “We have moved on already.

“There will be other options over the next 12 months ... our focus now is getting ready for season ‘24.

“The team has trained at an elite level for eight weeks and we break for Christmas knowing we have achieved our physical performance goals.”

The Dragons are also chasing a backrower, with Cowboys pair Heilum Luki and teenage tearaway Kulikefu Finefeuiaki identified as two potential targets.

While the Dragons were thought to be the favourites to land Fonua-Blake for the 2025 season, the Warriors prop made the shock call this week to take up a four-year deal at Cronulla worth around $1m-a-season.

The fact the Sharks are considered in a better position to seriously challenge for the premiership was said to be a significant factor in Fonua-Blake’s decision.

Foxsports00:27

Dragons miss out on young gun Dearden​

UP NEXT
  • 1dc9cdfb1e135369d7acf9602205a328

00:27
    Addin Fonua-Blake signs to Cronulla Sharks for 2025
  • Papenhuyzen heartbroken after new injury
  • New Tigers CEO praises Jarome Luai
  • Hunt back & motivated with the Red V
  • Mann excited for senior role at Bulldogs
  • NRL becomes partners with UFC
  • Des Hasler making early Gold Coast Titans impact
NRL: Tom Dearden has re-signed with the Cowboys on a huge five year deal after the Dragons were a chance of landing the young superstar.
Yet it is also just another indication of the challenge facing Flanagan when it comes to trying to attract big name recruits to a club that has not played finals football since 2018.

Dearden was always considered a long shot to leave the Cowboys where he has now committed to until 2029.

The other concern for the Dragons would be what impact missing out on Fonua-Blake and Dearden potentially has on Ben Hunt’s future.

Despite initially chasing an immediate release, Hunt has now agreed to at least see out 2024.

But Flanagan said in recent days that he was confident the Dragons skipper has bought into the changes at the club and that Hunt would be there for 2025 as well.
Where's our player swap for Ben Hunt! 🤬

Ok so we making room
And made a few moves
Clearing space and cash flow

Option A: 2025 forward sorted OR banking on these juniors stepping up

Option B: getting ready to lock in a new long term half

Option C: We fluffing this right up

No use have cash flow if no one to spend on

Yeah it's a weird one imo - Volkman surely wouldn't be on much more than 300k, so releasing him for 2024 is kinda pointless unless we have someone to replace him. Also, 300k is bugger and I doubt we'd have much in the kete for 2024 on top of Volkman's money, so wondering who we could be looking at.

My guess is that it's RFM from the Bulldogs. And to be honest, having him at 300k for next year will be much better more effective than having Volkman on our books for Nek year. Queue SJ rupturing his ACL on Jan 1 2024 🤦🙃

RV wont be a loan. Webster could have played him toward the end of the season when we had injuries but went for other options, Walker.
Webster had seen enough that he felt RV was not the heir apparent, moved him on after signing the young bloke from the Panthers who is alittle further away than RV probably. I am sure Webster has his halves sorted.
Good that he makes a call and gets on with it, best for us and RV.

I’m ok with RV leaving.

I’d imagine CHT will take the reins from SJ post 2024 now.

Would love to be a fly on the wall at Warriors HQ……watching the US elections live is tantalising enough but someone needs to infiltrate the Warriors boardroom with a hidden microphone. Hell I’d even pay to listen in. How many more surprises have they got up their sleeves.

It’s buggin’ me out.

RV wont be a loan. Webster could have played him toward the end of the season when we had injuries but went for other options, Walker.
Webster had seen enough that he felt RV was not the heir apparent, moved him on after signing the young bloke from the Panthers who is alittle further away than RV probably. I am sure Webster has his halves sorted.
Good that he makes a call and gets on with it, best for us and RV.

Lots of assumptions in there mate 😂

very strange that some sites are saying RV is a 12 month loan and others are reporting a release and two year deal with the Dragons. If released unfortunately I think we will be paying some freight (just an assumption, no oil) I heard he is being well overpaid for his current ranking.

I had seen rumours that if dragons got AFB, they were prepared to let Jaydn Su’a go. No idea if it was to us or if he was prepared to come over? We were interested in him. There had been rumours before that again that Su’a was likely going to dolphins? Could be some real wheeling and dealing going on behind the scenes?

It was understandable that Webster chose Walker ahead of Volkman in 2023 because Volkman isn't a #6! He's a player than needs to be on the ball. His finest moment in a Warriors jersey was his match winning Field Goal against the playoff bound Raiders, albeit this was in NSW Cup, where he received the ball over 50 times.
Webster knows a whole lot more than me but if SJ was to retire at seasons end then I can't see a natural successor that's currently on the books. Metcalf is off contract & has just 7 games at Halfback (1W-1D-5L), all in reserve grade, to date. TMM isn't a dominant half nor does he possess a long kicking game. CHT hasn't shown he's the guy you want to give the ball to with the game in the balance. Luke Hanson is yet to play against men & is by all accounts a run first player who is a #6/#1. Jesse Soric is like 17/18 & played off the bench for his high school in 2023.
I repeat, Webby knows way more than me, but I can't see a genuine #7 at the club apart from SJ

Last edited:
It was understandable that Webster chose Walker ahead of Volkman in 2023 because Volkman isn't a #6! He's a player than needs to be on the ball. His finest moment in a Warriors jersey was his match winning Field Goal against the playoff bound Raiders, albeit this was in NSW Cup, where he received the ball over 50 times.
Webster knows a whole lot more than me but if SJ was to retire at seasons end then I can't see a natural successor that's currently on the books. Metcalf is off contract & has just 7 games at Halfback, all in reserve grade, to date. TMM isn't a dominant half nor does he possess a long kicking game. CHT hasn't shown he's the guy you want to give the ball to with the game in the balance. Luke Hanson is yet to play against men & is by all accounts a run first player who is a #6/#1. Jesse Soric is like 17/18 & played off the bench for his high school in 2023.
I repeat, Webby knows way more than me, but I can't see a genuine #7 at the club apart from SJ
I think CHT plays very similar to the way Penrith had Cogger playing. First receiver that digs into the line and takes a knock to create space for others. That could be a good foil for someone like Metcalf at 6

I think CHT plays very similar to the way Penrith had Cogger playing. First receiver that digs into the line and takes a knock to create space for others. That could be a good foil for someone like Metcalf at 6
Does Metcalf have a good long boot though, because we know CHT really doesn't

CHT will go well at five eight, he is very direct and plays deep into the line. Under Webby and this new system he could be anything. Looking jacked as well.
Would have both ahead of Te maire martin I don’t see what he adds to the team.

I would be happy with either Metcalf or CHT at 6, I just think with Metcalf we were only touching the surface of what he’s capable of and he brings a better balance to the team. People were saying not much happened on his side, mostly because we only stacked the right side, notice CNK never swept on the left side. So he had less options

Last edited:
Back