wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
This issue is easy to spin into racism

I think the people saying NZRL has invested in a lot of these players have a valid argument. If all your resources go into the best players, and they end up playing for another country, you will lose.

NZ is bleeding the best talent they are producing. Players get poached to Ausy in their late teens and end up representing Ausy, now we have players defecting to other countries.

Te Aro

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 2, 2018
I happy that Tonga has become a heavyweight and would love them to get some more big games but not sure I want them playing in NZ this year after some of the Tongan fans behaviour during the world cup which was atrocious, not to mention the ridiculousness that happened after England beat them fair and square.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
This issue is easy to spin into racism

I think the people saying NZRL has invested in a lot of these players have a valid argument. If all your resources go into the best players, and they end up playing for another country, you will lose.

NZ is bleeding the best talent they are producing. Players get poached to Ausy in their late teens and end up representing Ausy, now we have players defecting to other countries.
Isn't this what happens with the vast majority of the Kiwi's players who are developed by the Australian System ?

Most of the money spent on developing NZ players would be Australian dollars - Australian coaching man hours, including the Tongan players we are debating.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
I happy that Tonga has become a heavyweight and would love them to get some more big games but not sure I want them playing in NZ this year after some of the Tongan fans behaviour during the world cup which was atrocious, not to mention the ridiculousness that happened after England beat them fair and square.

i see no overall issue with tonga playing NZ in NZ. I just find the timing atrocious. Just like the Denver test, play it at a different time and im sure that a lot of the objections, mine included would vanish. Personally i think it would make a good preseason game. So early new year before the start of the season proper maybe

Old Sid

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2014
i see no overall issue with tonga playing NZ in NZ. I just find the timing atrocious. Just like the Denver test, play it at a different time and im sure that a lot of the objections, mine included would vanish. Personally i think it would make a good preseason game. So early new year before the start of the season proper maybe

Don't think any non club-related games should be scheduled pre-season. Don't even want to consider the proposed Indigenous game pre-season. That should be week after grand final if any and the islands can have their own games too the same weekend.

In the event of injuries, they have weeks to get over all but the most serious before pre-season actually re-commences.

One or two of those games could double as additional for any sides about to tour if the Island Teams wanted games against the big boys (so to speak)

Reactions: Rick O'Shay

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Don't think any non club-related games should be scheduled pre-season. Don't even want to consider the proposed Indigenous game pre-season. That should be week after grand final if any and the islands can have their own games too the same weekend.

In the event of injuries, they have weeks to get over all but the most serious before pre-season actually re-commences.

One or two of those games could double as additional for any sides about to tour if the Island Teams wanted games against the big boys (so to speak)
i kinda agree, think they should scrap the tour to england where they send 2 (3?) sides each year to play for the world cup challenge. But given that it does go ahead, then i think might as well get all the bullshit travelling out of the way at the same time.

Personally i would love to see SOO moved to the end of the season , after the GF followed by club level internationals and then finally Internationals before Xmas and then nothing till preseason games next year. No more mid year rubbish pulling players left and right.

However my point re the tonga vs australia game is that it shouldnt take place on the doorstep of the NZ game vs Australia in NZ. so either delay the game so it doesnt compete or move its location.

Reactions: Old Sid

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Isn't this what happens with the vast majority of the Kiwi's players who are developed by the Australian System ?

Most of the money spent on developing NZ players would be Australian dollars - Australian coaching man hours, including the Tongan players we are debating.
Most of the Tongan players are from South Auckland arent they?

The majority would definitely be from NZ

Last edited:

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Only 3 South Aklders ...

JT, Havilli and taukeiaho.

2018 side vs Samoa.

JT left Papakura at around 13 years old: Havilli - Manurewa and Taukeiaho , Otara.

Reactions: Sup42 and eudebrito

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Gonna be a good time for MMT fans and Tongan flag makers.

I expect a good battle with the Kiwis. They don't have Shitwell misguiding them anymore and will be looking for ultimate revenge. The Kangaroos will waste us.

Expensive postseason coming up. Already bought 20 tickets to the Kiwis v Kangaroos match and now these two games...

Capture1.JPG

REPRESENTATIVE

Tonga to play Kangaroos and Kiwis in boost for international game
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Tue 4 Sep 2018, 05:16 PM

International rugby league is set to receive a huge shot in the arm, with confirmation World Cup giant killers Tonga will play Tests against Australia and New Zealand in Auckland.

Details of the Tests will be announced by NZRL chief executive Greg Peters and NRL GM elite competitions Jason King at a press conference on Wednesday after months of negotiations to ensure the game capitalises on the momentum generated by Tonga’s rise at last year’s World Cup.

The Mate Ma’a, who were boosted by the defection of Jason Taumalolo, Andrew Fifita and other big-name stars from tier one nations, will play the Kangaroos on October 20 and the Kiwis on June 22 during next season’s standalone representative weekend.

The Australia-Tonga Test will be played at Mt Smart Stadium the weekend after the Kangaroos play New Zealand on October 13 at the same venue.

To ensure the viability of the Test against Tonga, Australian players have agreed to a one-off reduction in their usual $20,000 fee and are expected to receive $5000 or less.

Some of the money the Kangaroos are sacrificing will go towards match payments for their Tonga counterparts – ensuring pay parity for the Mate Ma’a for the first time.

While NZRL officials had initially been reluctant for the Test to be played in Auckland because of fears it would impact on ticket sales for their Test against Australia, they were keen to host Tonga next season on the same weekend as State of Origin II in Perth.

It looks like you may be using adblocking software to view this site.

Many features on the site, such as video playback, may not work properly when using adblocking software.

Please whitelist our domain or disable your adblocker to access all features and videos.

Coaches Speak – Round 25

It is understood the NRL has agreed to back both Tests as the NZRL is yet to be paid by the promoter of June’s controversial Denver Test against England at Mile High Stadium – putting an end to plans for the two nations to continue playing mid-year in the United States

The October 20 Test will the first time Australia has played Tonga since the quarter-final of the 2000 World Cup in London and is expected to be the beginning of more regular Tests for the Mate Ma’a against tier-one nations after their success at the World Cup.

With Taumalolo turning his back on the Kiwis at last year’s World Cup, the likes of David Fusitua, Siosiua Taukeiaho and Manu Ma’u followed suit, while Fifita withdrew from the Australian squad to play for Tonga.

The Mate Ma’a beat New Zealand 28-22 before a capacity crowd in Hamilton to top their pool and lost 20-18 in controversial circumstances to England at a sold-out Mt Smart Stadium in the semi-final.

In addition to the Tests against the Kangaroos and Kiwis, Tonga may feature on the itinerary for the Great Britain Lions tour at the end of next season as RFL officials have made it known they want to play at least one Pacific nation as well as Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/04...oos-and-kiwis-in-boost-to-international-game/

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Because so many of the Tongans are actually Kiwis or Australians I would like to see them beaten fair and square by the Kiwis so the whole issue can die a natural death. To all those who reckon the NRL support our game that is bullshit. The NRL are only in NZ for profit they make. The NZRL has to fund junior development here to the stage where the NRL clubs come in and poach. The NZRL has never got much help from the ARL. They are too scared of the competition.

Reactions: Old Sid and matiunz

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Stoked to be playing a test against tonga next year.
Still don't understand why tonga and Australia can't play in tonga or Australia but whatever.

Reactions: gREVUS

WarriorBall

Good news all round though I do wonder how potent Tonga will be now their current halves have hardly played up in the NRL this season though I suppose you don’t need much of a kicking game if your forwards consistently march 60 meters down field, the atmosphere and the forward clash are the two things I’ll be looking for when they play the Kangaroos in October.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Stoked to be playing a test against tonga next year.
Still don't understand why tonga and Australia can't play in tonga or Australia but whatever.
The crowd? There are way more Tongans in Auckland than Sydney. Also if they can get more Kiwi Tongans playing for Tonga it weakens the Kiwis. These Aussies never miss a trick.

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2016
Really looking forward to these games! Glad that there is another team getting regular matches against Australia/NZ.

The more International Rugby League in Auckland the better!

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
It’s like the All Blacks in reverse - in league the Tongans poach the kiwis!
Nice try- it’s been debunked numerous times the “poaches” are 99% born and raised NZers. Countries like England poach more foreign born players than NZ.

Ironically in Union island teams poach kiwis all the time, it’s just we have the player base for it to not have a dramatic effect- unlike the kiwis unfortunately

Reactions: davewjnz

Far North Forever

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 5, 2013
Northland
Well Ill be fuked, I thought NZRL had told the Aussies to piss off "Nek Minute" how much you got brah, oh well I hope they filled the coffers up because those who haven't bought Kiwi V Oz tickets will be buying Tonga V Oz fosure

Reactions: brightman

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
DFC25E9D-1F81-4A40-A7D1-D49D4A005A30.png

This is a bit of a piss take emailing NZ Warriors members “the most anticipated international rugby league match” when it’s in competition for the kiwis match the week before...

Reactions: Defence

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings