bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
According to the census there’s 1600 in Queensland, with the Stadium holding half of Tonga’s total population you’d think they’d struggle to fill it unless a few NZers “pulled a Taumalolo”
That surprises me. There are almost 50,000 of Tongan heritage in Auckland. Although only 18000 were born in Tonga. I had been hearing about all these Islanders in Brisbane.

Trugoy

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 3, 2016
That surprises me. There are almost 50,000 of Tongan heritage in Auckland. Although only 18000 were born in Tonga. I had been hearing about all these Islanders in Brisbane.
There are more Samoans than Tongans in Brisbane. The best place to have an Aus v Tonga game if not in Auckland, would have to be Western Sydney. Panthers Stadium would guarantee a sellout.
Suncorp wouldn’t, neither would Homebush or SFS.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney

Ahh key word there on another look is ‘Tongan born’ vs ‘Tongan Heritage’ (takes it up to 5k)

Here’s the Aus Polynesian populations FYI

88442333-CCA3-453E-87D9-CA9E08EC760A.jpeg

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Geez there are a lot of Mozzies over there.

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2016
Sounds like the game between Australia and Tonga will now go ahead in Auckland at Mt Smart on the 20th of October (a week after the NZ vs Australia game).

Australia have agreed to take pay cuts to make it happen (The RLPA has an agreement where they are paid $20k per match, whereas NZ and England players get $5k each and the others much less or nothing).

Makes me wonder why on earth the Aussie players should get so much when the games don't generate anywhere near enough money currently to make that work.

Players shouldn't need a financial carrot to turn up for their country, $5k sounds more than fair for a week's work.

But on the game, I will be booking my tickets straight away, the atmosphere at Mt Smart will be amazing.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Sounds like the game between Australia and Tonga will now go ahead in Auckland at Mt Smart on the 20th of October (a week after the NZ vs Australia game).

Australia have agreed to take pay cuts to make it happen (The RLPA has an agreement where they are paid $20k per match, whereas NZ and England players get $5k each and the others much less or nothing).

Makes me wonder why on earth the Aussie players should get so much when the games don't generate anywhere near enough money currently to make that work.

Players shouldn't need a financial carrot to turn up for their country, $5k sounds more than fair for a week's work.

But on the game, I will be booking my tickets straight away, the atmosphere at Mt Smart will be amazing.
Personally I hope the Kangaroos kick arse completely so all this quasi international bullshit can be put to bed. I don't mean to denigrate Tongan people but this situation is ruining the Kiwi jersey.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Personally I hope the Kangaroos kick arse completely so all this quasi international bullshit can be put to bed. I don't mean to denigrate Tongan people but this situation is ruining the Kiwi jersey.
Alternatively is it strengthening RL in cities such as Akld, Sydney and in Tonga too? Tongans (where ever they were born) are switching to play RL from sports such as RU. NZ should have enough depth to cover players choosing to represent other nations. For evidence have a look at the proposed All Stars Maori team.
NZRL has to now bring pride back to the Kiwi jumper. Bad administration, terrible coaches = bad on field performances. Turn it around NZRL. Hopefully Greg Peters can sort this.

Last edited:

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
I can’t believe the NZRL have bowed to the NRL again and let this game be played in Auckland the week after the Kiwis v Aussies. All it means is that the likely gate sales will be reduced for the NZRL which they desperately need to make some money.

Why will gate sales be reduced?

Last year findings.

One reason: Last year findings revealed that due to the bad feeling surrounding the Warriors, the RL public didn’t connect with the Kiwis as lost interest in RL ...
Not the case this year, the deeper the Warriors go into the finals the better chance of attracting a bigger crowd

Would the same Tongan fans who turned up to support their team in 2017 have turned up to watch the Kiwis? I’m not sure if this is the case

What can the NZRL do?

Refer to this as a festival of RL
Sell discounted tickets to both games
Start targeting local RL clubs
Start targeting Maori community groups - they’ll be thousands of Tongans there, need local support
Start targeting Warriors season ticket holders - kick off next Friday at the Raiders game
Tap into sponsors data bases as well as all NRL members
Work with the NRL
Target Aussies to travel over for the festival of RL

They ‘only’ have to attract 50000 supporters over two weeks. The Tongan game will be close to a sell out so now it’s up,to the NZRL to some hard work.

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Auckland
Would the same Tongan fans who turned up to support their team in 2017 have turned up to watch the Kiwis? I’m not sure if this is the case

What can the NZRL do?
Why should the NZRL show them any support if they are willing to flee like deserters for their own selfish desires when times are tough, hardly the blue collar mentality in which RL is steeped in NZ.

Perhaps more people of Tongan heritage are showing more interest in RL over RU because of the WC but personally I feel let down by people of Tongan ancestry who choose not to show our /their country respect by being loyal and patriotic to the country that supports them from birth one way or another.

Just look at the Tongan Prime Minister as an example, calling on the Pacific Islands to band together against China in effort to have their debt written off. Won't stop them from having their hand out though will it..

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Why should the NZRL show them any support if they are willing to flee like deserters for their own selfish desires when times are tough, hardly the blue collar mentality in which RL is steeped in NZ.

Perhaps more people of Tongan heritage are showing more interest in RL over RU because of the WC but personally I feel let down by people of Tongan ancestry who choose not to show our /their country respect by being loyal and patriotic to the country that supports them from birth one way or another.

Just look at the Tongan Prime Minister as an example, calling on the Pacific Islands to band together against China in effort to have their debt written off. Won't stop them from having their hand out though will it..
LOL entitlement is so common amongst your kind isn't it?

Pretty sure David Fusitua wasn't bought up suckling from Helen Clarks breasts but was instead cared for by his own parents who worked hard, paid taxes and obeyed the law.

Pretty sure Sel Bennett didn't pick Jason Taumalolo up himself for all his trainings but instead his parents took him, paid for his subs, his uniform, his boots, fundraised for the club and took him to his games. Pretty sure it was them supporting him in North Queensland when he moved over as a 14 year old where they developed him into the player he is now.

What do those MMT boys owe NZRL? Nothing at all. Patriotic to the country that supports them from birth HAHAHA, Oh yeah I forgot cause they are all on the bene aye lol...

Far North Forever

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 5, 2013
Northland

Not gonna happen Aussie just trying to put pressure through the media after already being told to get fukd. If we backflip and I cant see it, we're weak ass mofos with no balls to clang together.

Reactions: brightman

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Can't believe butt hurt fans would back Aussie over anyone.

Time to move on.

People who are Tongan are Tongan 1st. Just like people who are white born in China are not Chinese in real terms no matter how much they love Kungfu.

This argument is ridiculous.

The one right a human being has is to see themselves how ever they want.

Lord_m_80

NSW Cup Player
Sep 2, 2013

Pretty sure David Fusitua wasn't bought up suckling from Helen Clarks breasts but was instead cared for by his own parents who worked hard, paid taxes and obeyed the law.

Pretty sure Sel Bennett didn't pick Jason Taumalolo up himself for all his trainings but instead his parents took him, paid for his subs, his uniform, his boots, fundraised for the club and took him to his games. Pretty sure it was them supporting him in North Queensland when he moved over as a 14 year old where they developed him into the player he is now.

What do those MMT boys owe NZRL? Nothing at all. Patriotic to the country that supports them from birth HAHAHA, Oh yeah I forgot cause they are all on the bene aye lol...

‘Your kind’? Come on bro, it’s never a good look to follow up ignorance with more ignorance...

It is clearly evident that the issue of Tongan migrant identity is especially sensitive for you but I really can’t make sense of the argument you are presenting - are you insinuating that people who have chosen to move to New Zealand are somehow being exploited or that they should not be grateful in any way to be provided with the opportunity to live in a nation such as ours?

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
personally i dont get it. Why arent they playing in australia. Its not a NZ game, so it should happen in either of the countries that is playing, or in a country where they think they can grow the game like the US.

Dont blame NZ for a game not going ahead in NZ, look at the countries involved and blame them. Only an idiot would risk their income by letting the opposition play a game within a week of their big money earner. Most people would go to one or the other, very few would go to both. I guess which one will just depend on your personal preference.

i tried to have a look at the article, but its locked. However on the same day the daily telegraph said it was about to be rubber stamped to go ahead in NZ, Radio NZ had an article saying time has run out and NZRL has vetoed having it in NZ.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015

This pretty much sums up the view of every migrant in nz whether they are black white or blue

No disrespect to the Maori heritage but there needs to a NEW ZEALAND heritage that people can identify with and be proud of

#makeNZgreat

Btw Mt, I guarantee you no one has ever suckled off Helens breasts and the only people getting picked up by Sel Bennett’s are his kids.

• Haha
Reactions: Worried2Death

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings