General Mark Robinson - Co-Owner

Heard this guy on the radio this morning:

He didn't sound too bad. Went into the Lodge battle of the alpha grizzly bears. Alluded to a bit of context re: POS / Lodge / Moses. Worth listening to.

The one item that stuck out for me was his talk about finding a new coach. Said that Stacey's not interested in the HC position for 2023. And that they are going to sit out the next 4 weeks and not look for a coach for a while to see if Stacey likes it(!). Which doesn't stack up, because if Stacey's out for next year, we better find a new coach fast. Although this part might be just managing fans' expectations

He didn't sound too bad. Went into the Lodge battle of the alpha grizzly bears. Alluded to a bit of context re: POS / Lodge / Moses. Worth listening to.

The one item that stuck out for me was his talk about finding a new coach. Said that Stacey's not interested in the HC position for 2023. And that they are going to sit out the next 4 weeks and not look for a coach for a while to see if Stacey likes it(!). Which doesn't stack up, because if Stacey's out for next year, we better find a new coach fast. Although this part might be just managing fans' expectations
Stacey may get into the role and think this is for me and want a crack at it full-time.

If the players cannot lift their performances for Stacey they'll life for no one.

Clearing out players because they want people with integrity going forward.

Ruling out Flanagan than?

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor

Few red flags for me there;
Mentioned people wanting to come to the club and said 4 players next season, struggled to name 2 of them
Game plan ‘too complicated’ for players
Players not able to get up for game day after supposedly looking slick and sharp in training
Only having 8-10 kids turn up junior training- made it sound like there were more that didn’t turn up?

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor

As useful as Lodge was a player, and as good a deal as they may have gotten from the broncos (at the time, not now he f-cked it up) they should have resisted going back to the moses well, they did a good thing clearing out the moses influence, should have held out.

He did sound alright this time.

Last edited:
Mostly what I got out of it was he wants his old mate to be head coach.

Most of us know, I think even Stacey, given his meagre coaching aspirations knows he doesn’t have the chops to be an NRL head coach so I’m left questioning his judgement yet again.

What I’m getting a picture of at the moment is a ‘helicopter owner’ wanting to give the players his game plan through a proxy head coach.

So he isn't looking for any coach as he is hoping Stacey Jones comes right and becomes coach. I mean seriously wtf.

When talking about Lodge "it just wasn't going to work between ME and him and the club". So is he only going to recruit guys who say nice things to him?

I would like to go to my deathbed knowing that the Warriors have won the premiership. If they could also on that premiership run beat the Cameron Smith coached Melbourne Storm by 50 and have our current coach and captain give them a pep talk that would be the icing on the cake. I just cannot see us doing it with this guy as the owner. I suppose we could fluke a good year but it would be in spite of him not because of him.

IDK - not a Mohawk stan by any stretch (I don't think I'd pass a pub test) however his personal style probably has less to do with organisational capability than many have suggested - i've seen a lot worse from more palatable, media friendly owners (and CEs for that matter) than mr Autex (obvious counterpoint is Watson: Bruce would concur...) ... while Fonzie is right to point out the tragicomic repetition of the messaging around the coach sacking and appointment clusterfuck for me this has less to do with the alphas in the room and the their personalities and more with the Warriors' permanent status as outsiders in the NRL - it would be a stoke of genius to emphasis that status through an ownership structure like no other club if the owner front and centre was more charismatic ... that Robinson is not only means we're not going to see an organisational advantage accrue through his presence and idiom, but I don't necessarily see it as writing our failure either.

Mostly what I got out of it was he wants his old mate to be head coach.

Most of us know, I think even Stacey, given his meagre coaching aspirations knows he doesn’t have the chops to be an NRL head coach so I’m left questioning his judgement yet again.

What I’m getting a picture of at the moment is a ‘helicopter owner’ wanting to give the players his game plan through a proxy head coach.
Or maybe Stacey has secretly let his aspirations be known to mohawk and this is their way of saving his reputation in case he bombs which there's just as much chance of happening. Probably a good idea too to let him play with no pressure rest of the season.

Also diagnosed current performance issues as:

- boys not revved up enough on game day
- game plan too complicated

Echoes Cameron George saying they want a ‘hard arse’ coach with a ‘simple’ philosophy.

That was a good listen, turns out Hosking can actually be bearable when he's not talking politics!