Staff Mark Graham

When Mark was Warriors coach he had this mad idea that some of the footballers were a bit thick and that he was only interested in smart footballers.

As a coach then, he sucked here.

A Man ahead of his time if you ask me.

Melbourne anyone ? the most thought driven club in the modern era.

I never forget when NZ played Tonga at Carlaw and Mark was pissed off that Stacey was playing since that seemed too big a risk.

Joe Vagana busted his own team mate Staceys arm in that game, Graham stormed out of the ground with his partner....I was in west goal line end of the ground.....Mark Graham came walking through the crowd...any wanna be autograph hunters or well wishers....parted like the red sea...as he marched through us all.

He was Simon Mannering if Mannering was someone you were scared of when he looked at you...and if Mannering could ball play and bend the line like Sonny Bill.

That is why he is rated the greatest of all time.cu**s were scared of him.

When Mark was Warriors coach he had this mad idea that some of the footballers were a bit thick and that he was only interested in smart footballers.

As a coach then, he sucked here.

A Man ahead of his time if you ask me.

Melbourne anyone ? the most thought driven club in the modern era.

I never forget when NZ played Tonga at Carlaw and Mark was pissed off that Stacey was playing since that seemed too big a risk.

Joe Vagana busted his own team mate Staceys arm in that game, Graham stormed out of the ground with his partner....I was in west goal line end of the ground.....Mark Graham came walking through the crowd...any wanna be autograph hunters or well wishers....parted like the red sea...as he marched through us all.

He was Simon Mannering if Mannering was someone you were scared of when he looked at you...and if Mannering could ball play and bend the line like Sonny Bill.

That is why he is rated the greatest of all time.cu**s were scared of him.

There's been some great players in that kiwi 13 jumper hasn't there.
Graham to mcgahn to nikau to sbw to mannering to taumalolo.
Tbh sbw and taumalolo both had the talent to surpass graham but unfortunately neither shared the same passion he had for the kiwis.
Sonny fai could've been up there too but I guess we'll never know.

There's been some great players in that kiwi 13 jumper hasn't there.
Graham to mcgahn to nikau to sbw to mannering to taumalolo.
Tbh sbw and taumalolo both had the talent to surpass graham but unfortunately neither shared the same passion he had for the kiwis.
Sonny fai could've been up there too but I guess we'll never know.
Sure have been some specials.

When Sonny Bill lifted to carry the Kiwis home against England in the last ten minutes at the world cup I thought.,..people rate you for being a consummate pro....you have more skill than any NZ forward I have seen as a total package....but Mark Graham says hi...from the kick off Sonny.

Reactions: fizurg and Defence
Legendary Kiwi to hit the big screen

A documentary film is set to hit the big screen next year about the life of the man regarded as the toughest Kiwi player of all time - Mark Graham.

A hero with the North Sydney Bears and New Zealand in the 1980s, Graham was the first Kiwi inducted into the NRL Hall of Fame and has already been named as the greatest player New Zealand produced in a century of rugby league.

Graham’s son Luke, a noted filmmaker who produced the acclaimed 2016 rugby league drama movie ‘Broke’, will direct the 90-minute doco, which will incorporate old footage of Graham in action with interviews.

“It’s quite surreal,” Mark said. “I hope people will find value in this documentary of my life so far.”

They interviewed him on the Triple M NRL Sunday show just gone.

Sounds like such a humble and nice guy.

They kept asking about his days at North Sydney (which I guess is what their audience can relate to) but I was really hoping they'd ask about his early days playing league over here in NZ.

Hopefully the doco goes into that.

You can find the interview on iTunes if you're interested :

https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast...-up-paul-kent-gorden-tallis/id1369002577?mt=2

Reactions: Defence
Great player Mark Graham. When he first came to play in Oz he was built like a piss up a wall. At the end of his career he was built like Adonis. Tough as teak and could play when injured. The Aussies loved him!

Reactions: Defence and Sup42
Wonder if Tawera modeled it from Mark Graham or if it was natural for Tawera as well.
Wouldn't be surprised, everyone looked up to MG back in the day aye.
I struggle to think of a player that was so universally admired in that era or since.

Part of it is his personality, humble, mans man, fearless and bullet proof. He was the poster child of the rugged tough kiwi without needing to be brash or staunch.

All Kiwis, league fan or no, respected him....Mana I spose...

playdaball

Heritage Member
Remember the north sydney crowd used to get the kiwi, kiwi chant going- that was awesome.
Go back and watch the kiwi tests round 85-86- he was colossal.
Nothing better than the old, “kiwi, kiwi,kiwi” chant down at Carlaw Park.
MG was a mighty player and a nice guy too.
A devout Catholic too - ex St Paul’s College.