Player Manu Vatuvei

bruce

bruce

Contributor
"Wayne could have played for the Kiwis. He had a natural eye for a bounce, and great timing," said Peter Smith, who played alongside and coached Beri at rugby league and employed him as a barman at the Hotel Embassy in Christchurch."

Dunno if anybody remembers the Embassy Bar?

As well as being a haven for crooks, it was also a genuine rugby league museum.

The Smith family were league tragics who left Peter Leitch for dead.

They had some amazing stuff in there, and it was a genuine league bar, the crooks were leaguies first and foremost.

The beer was good too!!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Aman

Aman

If you ever wanted to know how little Aussie's care about the kiwi game, there’s been hardly any mention of Manu conviction here, almost none, like zero, zilch. Nobody gives a fuck.

tajhay

tajhay

🏉
If you ever wanted to know how little Aussie's care about the kiwi game, there’s been hardly any mention of Manu conviction here, almost none, like zero, zilch. Nobody gives a fuck.
It's been mentioned by all major media outlets covering sport here....

Screenshot 20211008 100050 Chrome

Reactions: 1 users
ramps

ramps

Poor guy. Thing i dont like is that he has always been a big family man, yet he was contributing to one of the biggest dividers in family across the world. Meth!

I bet he would take it all back in a heartbeat but the i feel the fame got to his head, mixed and mingled with too many of the wrong celebrities and got influenced into it. Importing and distributing though, what a clown!

Reactions: 1 user
Dixpat

Dixpat

In Stacey we (have to) trust
Contributor
A recent sentence for Manu's type offence

• Mr Doan pleaded guilty to two charges of importing methamphetamine[1] and one charge of possessing methamphetamine for supply.[2] On 29 October 2019 he was sentenced by Walker J to 15 years and four months’ imprisonment with a minimum period of imprisonment (MPI) of just over 40 per cent.[3]
  • The Judge adopted a starting point of 17 years’ imprisonment in respect of the importation charges and applied an uplift of 18 months for the charge of possession for supply. A discount of 18 months’ imprisonment was allowed for personal mitigating factors, with a further discount of 10 per cent for the guilty plea which did not come at the first opportunity. Because the Judge did not consider that parole after a little more than five years’ imprisonment adequately would satisfy the deterrence objective of sentencing or hold Mr Doan accountable for his conduct, an MPI of six years and six months was imposed.
Without knowing how the two cases align Manu must be shitting his daks!!

Reactions: 4 users
Mr Frank White

Mr Frank White

Contributor
A recent sentence for Manu's type offence

• Mr Doan pleaded guilty to two charges of importing methamphetamine[1] and one charge of possessing methamphetamine for supply.[2] On 29 October 2019 he was sentenced by Walker J to 15 years and four months’ imprisonment with a minimum period of imprisonment (MPI) of just over 40 per cent.[3]
  • The Judge adopted a starting point of 17 years’ imprisonment in respect of the importation charges and applied an uplift of 18 months for the charge of possession for supply. A discount of 18 months’ imprisonment was allowed for personal mitigating factors, with a further discount of 10 per cent for the guilty plea which did not come at the first opportunity. Because the Judge did not consider that parole after a little more than five years’ imprisonment adequately would satisfy the deterrence objective of sentencing or hold Mr Doan accountable for his conduct, an MPI of six years and six months was imposed.
Without knowing how the two cases align Manu must be shitting his daks!!
6 yrs for a crime with a max life sentence isn't the worst.

Reactions: 1 user
Sup42

Sup42

Manu getting sentenced this morning.
Bit rough.

Lot of anger about because it's meth.

But people lose their moral compass when they touch that shit.

They literally lose their conciounce as a direct effect of Methamphetamine on the brain.

Drugs that mess with Dopamine to that extent are mind altering.

I feel sorry for him still.

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users
Miket12

Miket12

Manu getting sentenced this morning.
I've been talking to a person who used to be a mutual friend with Manu. He was one of those who realised Manu needed intervention around the time of the energy drinks and pills saga. He wasn't at all surprised to see Manu slip later when he turned his back on him and his other friends.

Manu received huge criticism for going to a LIFE church service held at a movie theatre when the team were playing in Oz at the same time. Perhaps if he'd continued down that path, his life would be a lot different now.

Reactions: 8 users
Miket12

Miket12

3 years 7 months in jail for the beast…
His defense lawyer blamed the structured environment he'd received from the Warriors since the age of 16 and they hadn't prepared him for life after professional sport.

Sorry, but dozens if not hundreds of players from NZ have gone through the same environment and haven't gone on to get drug convictions.

Reactions: 20 users
bangbros18

bangbros18

He deserves everything that comes his way, infact! He got off lightly. This guy is an absolute disgrace to our society!! Shame on you!!! Please NZ Warriors remove all his records from the club 🙏

Reactions: 3 users
Five&Last

Five&Last

His defense lawyer blamed the structured environment he'd received from the Warriors since the age of 16 and they hadn't prepared him for life after professional sport.

Sorry, but dozens if not hundreds of players from NZ have gone through the same environment and haven't gone on to get drug convictions.

If that was their only defence, then they got off lightly with that sentence.

Reactions: 6 users
tajhay

tajhay

🏉
Not sure if he showed any remorse or understood the ramifications of his decisions to the wider community. Had some interaction with him a couple of months back, and he kept on saying to "not believe everything you hear in the media".

Should be in for longer.

Reactions: 10 users
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Among the Victims are his family, who he should have thought of before getting involved. A selfish decision.

Reactions: 8 users
Miket12

Miket12

Among the Victims are his family, who he should have thought of before getting involved. A selfish decision.
Unfortunately, some times people chose very destructive paths when they either think there's only one way forward or when they think their actions would help their families. It's warped thinking to others but, for some in that place, their thought patterns can be very wrong but they don't see it themselves or the true impact of their actions on others.

Reactions: 1 users
mrblonde

mrblonde

Apparantly the Warriors have removed M Vatuvei from their Old Boys list - so don't expect to see him at the last home game of a season ever again - and into a new Old Fxxxwits list.

If he's clever, he won't appeal the sentence. But I think that could be a big If...

pompower

pompower

Thought that sentence sounded light in comparison to some of the examples posted in here previously.

Have to say I feel for Manu, even though perhaps I shouldn't. Hard to separate art and artist for me on this one. But also being a bit more worldly now than I was when he was a hero to me, knowing that even when you "make it", it's really difficult for a lot of people to get away from some of the more turbulent influences in their life. When those connections are really deep-rooted, it's easy for those people to exploit your newfound status or wealth.

There were also a ton of rumours surrounding...other prominent NZ athletes being involved in this. Feels like those rumours have completely disappeared (at least in the mainstream). Either way, Manu won't the first or last pro athlete to make a mistake like this. Hope he serves his time and can redeem himself once he's out, because his performances deserve to be remembered by Warriors fans.

Reactions: 6 users