General Manu Vatuvei, Fact versus Fiction

nzwarrior05_old

Totally agree - I think the rest of the NRL teams do too....notice the cowboys never kicked from distance to Manu's wing.

I turned the sound down after the cowboys scored from that bomb, I too get sick and tired of hearing them rant on with that rubbish. Costigans no better!!! Maybe worse!!!! No......he is WORSE!!!!!

kingdamo_old

Excellent article.

The commentators really p*ssed me off when they were on about how "Vatuveis nightmare continues".

Total bullsh*t.

Kid-Dynamite_old

Yea, good article. I think Manu is playing great this year sure hes made mistakes but every player does. He's going extremely well for the amount of pressure he has on him. As that reporter said, cut him some slack (Media!)

Viking_old

Good article. I wish the opposition would kick to Manu more often, the more catches he has to make, the better he'll get at it and he'll be doing more kick returns which means the opposition will be getting more injuries.

sportsthought_old

I can't agree totally with the author. Instead of comparing his error rate with Slater or anyone else, what is required is a stat that measures 'errors leading to points' (kinda like a negative assist)

I think that Manu may be higher on that list.

I have also heard commentators talk him up this year as well.

I do agree that since the Parra game, people can't let it go. Mind you, it's the same with Logan Swann's butchered try during the Eels semi final . . . .the commentators seemed to have forgotten that, but not the fans :)

MarkW_old

I'm glad someone wrote an article like this about Manu.

Like most other Warriors fans I'm sick to death of commentators harping on about his defensive issues. To be fair to him he's been no worse than Ah Van on defense so far this year, or a bunch of other wingers in first grade.

The reporter was right about the bomb that got snatched from him vs the Cows - if anything he was guilty of watching the ball (that's what he should be doing), but it was a great take by the opposition winger, very well timed.
Did you hear the commentator say anything detrimental about the Cows winger when Ravs bombed for the corner and we scored?

Then you hear crap from the commentator like 'Vatuvei needs to get involved and hit the ball up a few times to get some confidence back' - Excuse me, but please shut the hell up in future and get over your Manu complex.
It's almost like they want Manu to make mistakes just so they have something to talk about - sad really.

Skinny_Ravs82

Ah who doesn't love those commentators going on about Manu. I'm used to it and always know they'll have something to say. They love going on about it, even when he has a good day. Maybe, a rematch vs Parra same stadium, same night and different result might shut them up?

Kid-Dynamite_old

Ah who doesn't love those commentators going on about Manu. I'm used to it and always know they'll have something to say. They love going on about it, even when he has a good day. Maybe, a rematch vs Parra same stadium, same night and different result might shut them up?
I'd doubt it lol. Manu could have an emmaculate 5 games in a row then make a few errors in his next game and the media would be all over him like a rash again!

Jesbass_old

Excellent article.

The commentators really p*ssed me off when they were on about how "Vatuveis nightmare continues".

Total bullsh*t.

That was such an ironic statement, because it was the first error he'd made all night! :lol1:

kingdamo_old

That was such an ironic statement, because it was the first error he'd made all night! :lol1:

Exactly!

Thats why its annoying lol.

And you have to admit Gordon Tallis isn't exactly the best commentary going round. :tape2:

Kid-Dynamite_old

Ivan Cleary is sik of the flak!
This from: newstalkzb.co.nz:

Warriors coach Ivan Cleary has had enough of the media attacks directed at giant winger Manu Vatuvei.

Vatuvei received plenty of flak at the start of the NRL season and his performance in the heavy loss to the North Queensland Cowboys at the weekend was also attacked by one of the Sunday papers. Cleary has been dumbfounded by the latest criticism and says Vatuvei is an easy target.

LordGnome_old

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=10505930

League: Leave Manu alone - Cleary

7:57AM Thursday April 24, 2008

manu1605.jpg

Warriors coach Ivan Cleary says the latest criticism on Manu Vatuvei is unwarranted. Photo / Getty Images

Warriors coach Ivan Cleary has had enough of the media attacks directed at giant winger Manu Vatuvei.
Vatuvei received plenty of flak at the start of the NRL season and his performance in the heavy loss to the North Queensland Cowboys at the weekend was also attacked by one of the Sunday papers.
Cleary has been dumbfounded by the latest criticism and said Vatuvei is an easy target.
As for the dreadful record away from home, Cleary said his players have to be mentally tougher when things do not go their way on the road.
Cleary's men will need to muster up all the mental toughness they can when they come up against competition leaders the Titans on the Gold Coast on Sunday.
The Titans have been getting huge crowds to their home games and are yet to lose at Skilled Stadium so the Warriors will be walking into an intimidating atmosphere.
Titans' halfback Scott prince has been in dynamic form and with the Australian test team named on Sunday evening he will be after another strong performance.