General Manu Vatuvei Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defence

Defence

Manu Vatuvei is also tied with Nigel Vagana on 140 career tries making 17th equal top try scorer ever in NRL history. Could very well end his career in the top 10.

He could very well end this year in the top 10- only needs another 12- Wouldnt put it past him.

Reactions: 1 user
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Manu Vatuvei is also tied with Nigel Vagana on 140 career tries making 17th equal top try scorer ever in NRL history. Could very well end his career in the top 10.

Post match interview is a good watch especially the teams victory song at the end...

Its a good team song, Vete looks fired up enough to play another game.

Rest of this year and at least one more year should get him to close to another 25 meat pies, he’s nothing if not consistent, would fire him up to the verge of top 5 all time, at age 30.
I’d enjoy him overtaking brett stewart, never liked that prick.
The delay in re-upping him makes me think the warriors are trying for someone else expensive, or they’d have done it by now, form warrants it, is breaking down less often etc.

Freddie Futler

Freddie Futler

What a great way for a true legend to celebrate his 200th game, haka, 2 tries and that victory song will be moments he will treasure.
Well done big guy.

Reactions: 2 users
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
What an awesome day it was for Manu. Totally deserved. Hope to see many more like it.

Reactions: 1 users
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
On NRL 360 tonight Ben Iken was quite glowing in his reference for Manu this week. Not in a stupid way like Matty Johns. Also Paul Kent was saying he was getting excited by the Warriors atm. A fairly glowing endorsement from our Aussie mates for a change - and all due to Manu's 200th. The Ben Iken bit is at the start of the show. Sorry no way to link it atm.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Another string to Manu Vatuvei's bow. The Charles Savory Man of the Match medal during the 2015 ANZAC Test...

11210457 10152728345841881 6384799287727921523 n

Attachments

• 11210457_10152728345841881_6384799287727921523_n.jpg
    11210457_10152728345841881_6384799287727921523_n.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: 4 users
jonno

jonno

When he has a good game he's the best in the biz alright

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
10 out of 10 for tryscoring: Warriors winger Manu Vatuvei set to create history
June 13, 2015 - 2:19AM
Brad Walter
Sports Reporter
1434125948985.jpg

Warriors winger Manu Vatuvei needs just one try in Saturday's match against Sydney Roosters to become the first player in premiership history to score 10 tries or more in a season for 10 consecutive seasons.

Vatuvei, who earlier this year surpassed Nigel Vagana as the New Zealander with the most premiership tries, has scored nine tries in 11 matches so far this season.

After scoring the Warriors only try in last weekend's 36-4 loss to South Sydney in Perth, Vatuvei is now equal 13th on the all time premiership try list with 144 tries in 205 games.

Prolific: Manu Vatuvei scores one of his season's nine tries against Newcastle. Photo: Getty Images

He is also equal fifth with Rabbitohs greats Benny Wearing and Nathan Merritt for tries with one club.

The only current players to have scored more tries than Vatuvei are Melbourne fullback Billy Slater (172 tries in 277 matches) and Manly's Brett Stewart (154 tries in 210 matches).

Souths fullback Greg Inglis is next with 129 tries in 213 matches for the Storm and Rabbitohs.

Vatuvei, who recently extended his contract with the Warriors until the end of the 2018 season, needs just six more tries to become the 11th player in premiership history to have scored 150 tries.

He also has the Kiwis' try scoring record with 22 tries in 28 Tests for New Zealand.

"I have just been lucky I guess to score all of those tries but like I have said to everyone I can't take all the credit for those tries, all the boys did the hard work and put me through the gaps sometimes to score those tries," Vatuvei told warriors.co.nz

Besides his debut season in 2004, when he played five NRL matches for the Warriors as an 18-year-old, Vatuvei has been one of the club's most prolific tryscorers each year and he scored nine tries in 2005 before crossing 10 times in both 2006 and 2007.

Since then his strike rate has increased and the 29-year-old has scored 12 or more tries for the Warriors in each of the past seven seasons.

Should he remain injury-free, Vatuvei is set to surpass Stacey Jones' club record of 261 NRL games for the Warriors before the end of his new three-year deal.

MANU VATUVEI: 10 OUT OF 10

2006: 18 games, 10 tries

2007: 23 games, 10 tries

2008: 17 games, 16 tries

2009: 19 games, 13 tries

2010: 19 games, 20 tries

2011: 19 games, 12 tries

2012: 20 games, 12 tries

2013: 19 games, 16 tries

2014: 23 games, 17 tries

2015: 11 games, 9 tries

Reactions: 7 users
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Congratulations Manu Vatuvei to be the only person in the Australian 107 year history to score at least 10 tries in 10 consecutive years...

11140346 10200594599224249 7022866811709123019 n

Reactions: 9 users
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Legend on and off the field...

THE MATTY JOHNS SHOW
1 hr

This is the story rugby league needed.

Rugby League is a beautiful thing. It has been for over 100 years. The problem is that in recent times its beauty has been given a backseat to the seemingly endless amount of negative publicity some people within its community have brought on the game. It seems that all we hear about nowadays is players assaulting people, ‘backflipping’ on contracts, drug trafficking and amazingly even peeing in their mouths.

That is what the media print. They are all big stories, and they help sell papers. That is why helping run a rugby league based page like “The Matty Johns Show” is a gift. We don’t have to listen to what the journalists cram down our throats 100% of the time. We listen to the voice of the games most important commodity…The Fans. Contrary to what the papers and television would have us believe, there is still a lot of good out there within our code, all the way from the NRL down to the grass roots levels. Most go unheard of, which is why i wanted to share one of our stories with you.

Just over a week ago were contacted by a lovely woman by the name of Karyn.

Her husband Peter, a diehard Warriors supporter, is terminally ill with cancer. Peter was a fan of both of the Matty Johns shows on Foxsports, and she was wondering if we might be able to somehow get him into the studios to see the filming of either of the shows.The couple, both originally from New Zealand but now living in Brisbane, were flying down to Sydney for a couple of days which gave us a small window of opportunity to make something happen. The side story to all of what was about to happen was that Peter was oblivious to what was being organised.

We sent off emails to a couple of contacts we have with the people at Foxsports asking if there was any way that the amazing pair could be invited to the shooting of ‘Matty Johns Big Weekend’ this past Thursday. Tom, the shows producer was more than happy to have us all in. We then sent a text to Karyn’s mobile saying that she had won a competition we had run for two people to come to the show (Her idea…and it was brilliant!)

But it didn’t stop there.

A few quick phone calls to Peter Wynn, the former Parramatta, NSW and Australian player, who currently owns and runs sporting goods store ‘Peter Wynn’s Score’ was more than happy to donate a 2015 Warriors jersey to Peter. The staff in the shop were unbelievable even to the point of wrapping the jersey in warriors gift paper. The fact that Mr Wynn would give away an item that makes profit for his store to a complete stranger that has fallen on tough times was amazing & we can not thank him enough.

We met Peter and his amazing wife at Foxsports on Thursday evening. We had enough time to have a chat with this marvelous twosome before going into the studio & were astounded at how down to earth, happy and fun-loving they were considering all that was on their plate. We gave Peter his new jersey from Peter Wynn, which he put on straight away, and continued to be overjoyed at being allowed into the lives of two football fans. We listened as Pete told us how his wife converted him from a rugby lover to a league fan, and how highly he thought of Manu Vatuvei, not just for what he does on the field, but for how he was regarded off it. The best part of the night was seeing smiles on both of their faces while watching Matty Johns, Nathan Hindmarsh, Bryan Fletcher and Greg Alexander do their thing…..and at Fletch cracking his jokes during the add breaks.

The last thing we were wishful of was trying to add one last cherry on top for Peter. Karyn had already mentioned to us that Peter’s favourite player was Vatuvei in earlier emails we had exchanged. We contacted big Manu & filled him in with Peter’s background story, and asked if he would be interested in passing on a message of support, possibly through Twitter or Facebook. Well, Manu had an even better idea. He had organised a personal video message that was sent to Peter. It was amazingly touching. The video we received from Karyn of Peter watching his message from the Warriors winger was one of the most tear-jerking things i have ever seen. I was told once that “a sportsman is remembered until they retire…a great person is remembered forever”. If this is true, than Big Manu will be in the minds of many for generations to come.

I want to take one last opportunity to thank the cast and crew at Foxsports, Hindy, Fletch & Brandy for the photos and kind words after the show, Manu Vatuvei for going above and beyond for a fan…….and to both Peter & Karyn for giving us a life changing experience.

God I love Rugby League.

Reactions: 9 users
olek_skillgannon

olek_skillgannon

Troll
the patron saint of 'always keeping the warriors in a game and giving them a chance'
saint big manu

Reactions: 3 users
Freddie Futler

Freddie Futler

Tributes flow for record-breaking Vatuvei
Mon 15 Jun, 2015, 12:00pm
By Corey Rosser, NZ Correspondent
image.ashx

Big Manu Vatuvei is getting pretty used to breaking rugby league records.

He already has more four-pointers than any other Warrior in club history, is the highest try-scoring Kiwi international of all time and the most prolific New Zealand try-scorer ever in the Telstra Premiership.

But his most recent accolade is one so remarkable it's not even a record as such, because no-one has ever achieved it before.

After 107 years of premiership rugby league in Australia, Vatuvei became the first player ever to score 10 or more tries across 10 consecutive seasons, after crossing in the 34th minute of Saturday night's 25-21 loss to the Roosters at Mt Smart Stadium.

It was a 'Beast' classic too. A slight step off the left leg - a part of his game which goes mostly unappreciated in comparison to his power and pace - followed by contact with two defenders who hardly even upset the balance of his 112kg frame.

In the minutes and hours which followed the tributes for Vatuvei flowed heavy.

Past teammates such as Pita Godinet and Monty Betham reached out to him on Twitter, as did former NSW Blues winger Steve Turner, while Roosters rookie Jackson Hastings also recognised the giant Kiwi's feat after the game.

The previous owner of the records for most tries by a Kiwi international and most tries by a New Zealander in the NRL, Nigel Vagana, said he is in awe of his 29-year-old countryman.

"That's a pretty special achievement, and I guess doing it at a club like the Warriors that haven’t sort of been at the top of the table for a lot of those years is even more amazing," Vagana told NRL.com.

"Even when the team was struggling Manu was still producing, and I think that shows how hard Manu worked on his role in the team and doing as much as he could."

Playing arguably his best footy in a career now spanning 11 seasons, Vatuvei's 10 tries in 11 games has him on track to match his most prolific year in 2010, when he scored 20 in just 19 appearances.

That continued improvement in a game which is constantly evolving is a testament to Vatuvei's work ethic and attitude according to Vagana.

"He has sort of proven over the years that he can rise to the occasion, every setback he has had - and he has had some bumps along the way - his resilience and character has really shown through," said Vagana, who now works as an education and welfare officer with the NRL.

"He's done really, really well.

"Earlier in his career he copped a bit of a hammering with a lot of people saying things like 'he's not ready yet', 'he's too young' or 'his hands aren’t good enough', so for him to come out the other side and smash all these records is a real blessing for the game.

"A couple of years ago he missed out on the Kiwis and had a few setbacks. He did a lot of work that off-season doing extra training with 'Rubes' (Ruben Wiki), and I think that change in mentality is really starting to show now.

"It looks like he is getting younger every game."

The moment on Saturday night wasn't lost on those who work alongside Vatuvei every day at club level either.

Coach Andrew McFadden described it as a "massive achievement" and one which may never be reached again in rugby league, while rookie teammate Ken Maumalo was just happy to be part of it on the field.

"It was special, man… he's a huge role model to me and I was just happy for him," Maumalo said to NRL.com post-game.

"I hope he continues to do it for the next couple of years for us."

And while all of the individual achievements mean little to Vatuvei right now – as he puts it, "if I focus too much on the stats there is no point in me playing," – Vagana said they will mean more in retirement.

"I think most players are like that. I really didn’t take much notice when I was playing, it's not until you finish," Vagana said.

"I think Manu will be the same, we play this game as a team sport, you don’t think of yourself as an individual.

"Once he does leave the game he will look back on a career that was pretty special and pretty unique."

Manu Vatuvei's strike rate over the past 10 seasons

2006: 10 tries
2007: 10 tries
2008: 16 tries
2009: 13 tries
2010: 20 tries
2011: 12 tries
2012: 12 tries
2013: 16 tries
2014: 17 tries
2015: 10 tries (after Round 14)

https://www.nrl.com/tributes-flow-for-record-breaking-vatuvei/tabid/10874/newsid/87058/default.aspx

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
For those that didnt know Manu Vatuvei wants to be a police officer post footy. Here he geared up after a visit from former Warrior Tony Tatupu. Would rather be chased by the dog TBH...

11254159 10205366266290943 5277060961207543200 n

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Richie

Richie

I'd pass on having either chase me. Just run me over with the car, if you please.

Miket12

Miket12

Lie on the ground or I'll have Tony release the dog..... oh, you belong to a Warriors forum.... which one ...... what is your user name? Facefacts..... Tony, release the dog!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Off The Bench

Off The Bench

Game Day another day to appreciate Manu , He should
give up the police work , Run for prime minister Manu

Pete

Pete

He should get a lifetime contract for just being himself when he retires. Visit schools, kids trainings. Keep the bad kids of the street. The man is an inspiration. Big heart.

Reactions: 2 users
Pete

Pete

I reckon when he retires then we are going to get a bronze statue of him outside Mt Smart. Who symbolizes a Warrior better than Manu?

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I reckon when he retires then we are going to get a bronze statue of him outside Mt Smart. Who symbolizes a Warrior better than Manu?
Stacey Jones would get one first. Probably Simon Mannering next but Manu Vatuvei wouldnt be far off...

Status
Not open for further replies.