General Manu - signed sealed delivered until 2013

playdaball_old

VATUVEI GIVES VODAFONE WARRIORS HUGE BOOST
BY SIGNING UNTIL 2013
www.nzwarriors.co.nz

Giant winger Manu Vatuvei is set to become one of a select group of players to clock up 10 seasons of NRL football with the Vodafone Warriors after he confirmed today that he would remain with the club until at least the end of the 2013 NRL season.
The 24-year-old, who has already scored 75 tries in 110 appearances since his debut in 2004, was off contract next year but has reached agreement for a two-year extension.
Vodafone Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah today hailed the announcement as one of the most important in the club’s history.
“Manu has become one of New Zealand sport’s biggest names and an absolute superstar in the NRL,” he said.
“While there was plenty of conjecture about Manu’s future and a lot of interest in him, our priority was to do all we could to keep Manu here. He means so much to this club, to our season members and everyone else who follows the Vodafone Warriors.
“We couldn’t be happier that he’s remaining a Vodafone Warrior for three more seasons after this and hopefully there’s more to follow after that. While he’s already in his seventh season as an NRL player he’ll still be only 27 when this contract finishes.
“We greatly appreciate the desire of both Manu and his agent Peter Brown to work with us on extending the agreement and are delighted for all concerned. They have been a pleasure to deal with.”
Vatuvei, who needs only two more tries to equal Stacey Jones’ all-time club record of 77 tries, said his desire was always to remain a Vodafone Warrior.
“I never saw myself being anywhere else but in Auckland and with the Vodafone Warriors,” he said.
“This is where I always wanted to be. It’s where I belong. Most of all, it’s where my family wants to be. If they’re happy here then so am I.
“I could have taken up another offer overseas but I really couldn’t see that happening.
“It’s through rugby league and the Vodafone Warriors that I’ve been able to make something of my life and I hope I can go a lot further still. I want to do all I can to help us become a consistent force in the NRL.”
Vodafone Warriors head coach Ivan Cleary said Vatuvei’s new contract was a cause for real celebration.
“Players of his quality don’t come along very often but Manu’s more than a great player, he’s also a great person,” he said.
“We’ve always held Manu in the highest regard. He certainly means a lot to our club and our team. He might be a winger but, as a player, he’s as important to us as any playmaker is to any other side. That’s the true measure of the influence he has.”
A 17-Test Kiwi international and World Cup winner with the Kiwis in 2008, Vatuvei has been in a rich vein of form in the second half of his career. He is having his most prolific season with 17 tries in 16 matches so far following 13 in 19 games last year and 16 in 17 in 2008 – a total of 46 tries in his last 52 NRL games.

dingleberry_old

“It’s through rugby league and the Vodafone Warriors that I’ve been able to make something of my life and I hope I can go a lot further still. I want to do all I can to help us become a consistent force in the NRL.”

what a legend... the man. manu for captain/prime minister/president

playdaball_old

Good timing that should generate interest 3 days out from the Warriors biggest game of the year.

When did he re - sign?

Perhaps I should just enjoy the moment as we've just kept our main man?

Iafeta_old

Great news for a great club.

Right on. And IMO, a club that has stuck to its guns about being a development club, about being a club you can spend a significant portion of your local club... we're going to have a dearth of Australians here next year, no disrespect to them, but it's great to see the recruitment and retention strategies structured to favour NEw Zealand's growth.

Spence_old

Yeah, I agree. It's like how PTB pointed out, we've only got 3-4 Aussies in our squad next year, that must be an all time low?

Lego_Man_old

It's a real positive IMO. Don't get me wrong, i love the flavour Australians bring to the club...but to put together more of a NZ grassroots side is a positive development for the game in this country.

And maybe a sign that the country can eventually sustain another first grade team?

sebastian_old

Cot dayuummmn, Manu my man. I got a Manu smile on right now.

I think this signing has just helped secure our future.

:Manu Grin1:

Fazz_old

Stoked! We'll get him to the bulk of his prime now. Good to see some loyalty to the club from big manu.

Hopefully he'll be back to his best against brisbane

Magic Stick_old

Im over the Moon... Very good for us

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

Haha...I thought you were saying that you're over Moon, and I was trying to figure out why you'd say that in a thread about Vatuvei...

a.c.e_old

Im crying, inside, because a real hard man doesnt show his emotions, nor puts it down on a public forum . . . . .. oh wait!